1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question for SEO - Internet Marketing Experts

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by johnsam6, Sep 9, 2014.

I have a question for experts. I have two same websites along with same domain name but extensions are different. One website for USA and 2nd for CA. One domain registered on .com and 2nd on .ca, But rest of all things are same including services, content etc. everything is same. In case changes in content is not possible than how to get ranking for both website on Google.com or Google.ca.

johnsam6, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My advice would be to make one website from those and keep things in one place. Having the configuration that you have right now will make it pretty hard for you as you are basically having duplicate content on both websites. Not only will that not help you in your SEO efforts but you risk to get penalized by the search engines because of it.

Rado_ch, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I typically agree with Rado but as that is not entirely accurate in this case. As long as things are geographically centric to the TLD(think currency, addresses, etc. for instance) you should be fine.

Video on the matter here.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Sep 9, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are correct to a point there, Nigel. But that does not necessarily oppose my advice anyways. There is a high chance the currencies will be the same, especially if its a case of a website targetting a more global crowd. As fot the geotargetting its impact will again be minimal as OP says .com will be targetting a wider audience. And even Matt in the video never mentions a .com, all his examples are with ccTLD's.

All in all, the information here is a little scarce so I think we will end up with too much assumptions. As in life - trial/error is the way its gonna be for OP ;)

Rado_ch, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  5. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google wants us webmasters and site owners to create unique and interesting website for the real people and as you stated in your post the two websites are duplicate. Which means it only confuses the search engine and deceives your targeted audience. The visitors do not read the same article and it only causes untrusted website.

KylieSweet, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  6. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are creating duplicates sites. None of them are likely to rank. Create 1 site with unique content and target both the locations.

rankwatch.com, Sep 16, 2014 IP
    jitendraag likes this.
  7. johnsam6

johnsam6 Member

Best Answers:
    I know these all things, Let me know one thing canonical tag is enough to fix this issue, means I want to live both sites but i want google will consider only one site. So i will add canonical tag on site which i want to optimize. Canonical tag is good option?

johnsam6, Sep 17, 2014 IP
  8. Resource9

Resource9 Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to notify Google that it should consider one web page and ignore the other one, than canonical tag is the right option for you.

Resource9, Sep 17, 2014 IP
  9. Siservices

Siservices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Having similar content on two websites will get you penalized one day. So make changes as you must heard about updates which always say Content is king and have to be Unique. Though having a canonical tag is also an option but it won't be much fruitful for any of the website you have.

Siservices, Sep 21, 2014 IP
  10. Steven J Wilson

Steven J Wilson Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with the other about getting penalized. It shouldn't be a problem for now but with the way things are headed, I think it will be a problem having two websites that are basically exactly the same.

It is possible to geographically target both the US and CA with just the .com which is what I think you should focus on. Redirect your .ca to the .com and focus on developing the one site.

Think about another way. When you are doing your marketing etc you can only share one link most of the time. So you will be working twice as hard building two websites. If you focus on one domain, all your link juice will be focused on that domain, which will help your site grow faster.

I hope this helps!

Steven J Wilson, Sep 21, 2014 IP
  11. Chaseh2

Chaseh2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

I agree with the above. I had a similar problem to you a few months ago and putting the sites into turned out to be a good decision. It's easier to edit, and much easier to manage it's SEO :)

Chaseh2, Sep 25, 2014 IP
  12. johnsam6

johnsam6 Member

Best Answers:
    These all things i know, I just want views of experts who having vast experience and technically strong. All of who SEO Guys knew these basic things. So please don't post same reply.

johnsam6, Sep 25, 2014 IP
  13. samuel bursnel

samuel bursnel Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you know about hreflang? You can use this tag if you have a website that serves users more than one country.You can get more details about this on Google webmaster central blog and Google webmaster tool help. There they have described that how you can use this code on your website.

samuel bursnel, Sep 27, 2014 IP
  14. johnsam6

johnsam6 Member

Best Answers:
    hreflang for different countries languages not for same languages, so how you can use it for .com or .ca? First you read carefully.

johnsam6, Sep 30, 2014 IP
  15. Seo Power

Seo Power Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Having two websites with the same content but different extensions...sounds like a guaranteed way to get your site penalised for duplicate content. Needless to say, one of those sites won't rank well as Google will consider it a spam site.

What market is more important to you? The US market or the CA market?

If it's the US market, 301 the .ca domain to the .com domain and start building links to the .com domain. Why? Because the .com domain can also rank well in Google Canada.

Likewise, if the CA market is more important or profitable for your business, 301 the .com domain to the .ca domain and build relevant quality links to the .ca domain.

Seo Power, Oct 1, 2014 IP