1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Apache/php/mysql/postregre/python on Linux AND Windows for shared drive. READ please :D

Discussion in 'Apache' started by leadinmarketing, Sep 2, 2014.

?

Best Free option for PHP + Javascript development with code hinting/completion/highlighting, etc.

1. Netbeans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eclipse (with plugins)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aptana Studio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    BACKGROUND

Hey. So I do some programming and scripting with Xampp on Windows 8.1. I only installed xampp because I was pressed for time. I will install the components individually....

CURRENT SETUP

---I have a 120gb SSD OS drive that has just 8gbs left. And a 2TB storage drive. And some externals--

FUTURE PLANS

But I want to move over to Linux. I have download the latest version of Ubuntu and I plan on getting TWO additional SSDs. Both 120gb each.... I want to install Linux Ubuntu on one and then use the other new ssd as actual storage for my scripts and apps.

TOOLS I WILL/WANT TO USE

PHP, Apache, Mysql, PostgreSQL, Javascript, Node.js, Python, Shell scripting, HTML5, CSS3, Angular.js, Wordpress, and some other opensource goodies.

SOFTWARE I WILL/WANT TO USE

Netbeans. Eclipse(w/ python,javascript,php, etc plugins), Aptana Studio, and I need a lightweight cross platform text editor like Notepad++. Any reccomendations? Everything I use, I want to be cross platform so I have the option of going back and forth with Linux and Windows without having to learn a new IDE.

MY QUESTION

Ok. So all of this sounds basic. But here is the question. My plans. SSD with Windows 8.1 OS on it and a boatload of programs. 2nd(120gb) SSD with Linux Ubuntu on it and install all of my needed development tools. I assume this will be the latest ext4 format(I think)... 3rd SSD formated NTFS. And have this as a shared drive in which I will have all of my scipts/apps running and editing on this drive.

OK. NOW THE ACTUAL QUESTION

All of that above still seems simple. But the question is. Can I point the server to the shared drive (ex. shared\htdocs ) on both OSs? So install PHP, Apache, Mysql, etc.. On windows AND Linux. And configure Apache to work on a folder on the shared drive.... Thats my guess so far. What about PHP and Python, do I somehow "point" it to a folder on my shared drive to be able to function properly. Or do I just configure Apache with the directory of the PHP and Python installs -which will be on each OS's drive, and NOT the shared drive.... Am I correct with this setup?

2nd OPTION

Ok. So the plan is to install all the components on both OSs independently and then point to the shared drive somehow.... Is it possible I can install Apache, PHP, Python, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc on the ACTUAL Shared drive? Lets say I was in windows and installed all the components on the shared drive. Would Linux be able to function with it properly?

CLOSING NOTES

I have search and couldn't find anything on this... Any help at all is highly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

P.s. Any recomendation on a light weight text editor that is Cross platform would be highly appreciate. Also. Netbeans,Eclipse,Aptana should cover me on PHP,Javascript,HTML5,CSS3,Python(study later),Java(study later)... But I am curious as to any other Cross Platform(Open source) options people use. And dont recommend any pirating because thats not my thing. And I dont want to dish out any more money right now for any tools. I will probably invest in the InteliJ IDE or Komodo IDE down the road. We'll see.

leadinmarketing, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are probably best not to do that if you want recent versions of things on Windows. Getting a newish version of PHP working with a newish version of Apache was impossible last time I tried (less than a year ago) due to a SAPI mismatch. XAMPP is easy and it works. They compile PHP for Windows to work with the version of Apache and MySQL they use.

I don't see why not.

Your PHP is OS-specific. So it sounds like your second option is correct. The htdocs folder which contains the website files maybe able to be shared.

Apache for Windows will not run under Linux. If that's what you are getting at. As far as I know, you can install programs on any drive. I am going under the assumption you are setting up a dual boot system.

You could also consider doing something like virtualizing Linux in your Windows 8.1 machine using VirtualBox. You can set up a folder to be shared between the two OSes and communicate between the two using TCP just as you would if Linux was a remote server. You can SSH and FTP from Windows to your virtual Linux OS, even if it is a Linux desktop OS.

billzo, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  3. leadinmarketing

leadinmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanx for the info. In regards to your comment below:

"You are probably best not to do that if you want recent versions of things on Windows. Getting a newish version of PHP working with a newish version of Apache was impossible last time I tried (less than a year ago) due to a SAPI mismatch. XAMPP is easy and it works. They compile PHP for Windows to work with the version of Apache and MySQL they use."

I can just grab the latest version of php and apache that works together, correct? Let's say my xampp has php 5.4.3 and apache 2.4.1... Then I can go and download those and install individually (instead of xampp) and I will be fine...? Or are there other factors that need to be considered. I will probably be getting the two hard drives next Tuesday and I am really shooting for individual installs. I do have some basic experience in Linux mint (12.04 I believe). I am ready to get it installed and working. .... Also. What ssh client do you use-if any? I have been using filezilla over ftp for all of my uploads. I don't upload anything crazy large, and I am on FiOS, so speed is no issue. But I am trying to be more secure with everything. So I want to switch to ssh transfers.

4. leadinmarketing

Best Answers:
    Hey billzo. That previous response was for you as well. I realize I didn't properly quite you..... Another thing. I initially wanted to stay away from anything in a virtual setup because I know that is heavy on resources. But since you mentioned it, I would like to know if there are any sort of limitations that I would have if I virtualboxed Linux under my website 8.1? Anything I won't be able to do?....... I have a quad core i7 3770k 3.5ghz(up to 3.9 with tweaking I guess). 16gb of quality ram. Solid state drive for the os and all programs. Geforce 660gtx 2gb graphics card (I believe- will check tomorrow). Uefi enabled gigabyte motherboard (<- quality board as well). Standard full hd monitor. Internet is a wireless connection. Basic n600 usb stick and router on FiOS about 20 feet away. Would you say that this type of virtual setup will run fine with no lag on my PC?....

5. leadinmarketing

Best Answers:
    Also. I did have a dual boot on my pc before. But I had caught a nasty infection and completely wiped everything. I currently have a dual boot on my laptop of Linux mint.

6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are other factors that must be considered. Where are you getting your PHP for Windows from? Where are you getting your Apache from? This is what PHP says about using PHP with Windows:

http://windows.php.net/

If you go to the Apache website and download the latest binary version for Windows, do not expect it to work with the latest PHP. That is why the people at PHP recommend using the builds provided by Apache Lounge and not from Apache directly. The XAMPP people build Apache, PHP, and MySQL so they all work together. Downloading separately, you very well will run into problems. Getting it in a stack package such as XAMPP, you can be pretty certain everything will work.

puTTY is a decent SSH client. There is another one that is created by a Korean software firm. But I don't like software from that corner of the world. For FPT/SFTP, you can look at WinSCP. Both puTTY and WinSCP are free.

As you are running a development server and not a production server, you should have no concern about resource consumption on a virtualized setup. You are not going to be serving dozens of page requests per second. I have a quad core i5 with 8 GB of RAM and a virtualized VirtualBox/Ubuntu runs just fine. You have a more powerful computer than I do. No, you will not have the same performance as running on a dedicated machine. But you do not need that high performance for a development machine.

Just from a setup and learning aspect, using something like VirtualBox will be much easier and take you much less time than setting up a dual boot system. You can do everything you need to do in one computer with both OSes running at the same time. You can download and install VirtualBox and spend 15 - 30 minutes installing your OS and be up and running. And if you don't like it, you can uninstall your VirtualBox and there is no harm done. And by virtualizing your Linux, you can get a nearly authentic linux development environment such as you would be using on a production web server. You can also have multiple virtualized OSes running at the same time, each will have their own virtual IP address (use bridged setup in VirtualBox). A virtualized setup is easier, faster, and more flexible than a dual boot setup.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    billzo, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I was just wondering why you'd want to abuse an SSD for development/storage. That just sounds like an expensive waste of money.
    Just buy a regular harddrive for storage? Or use the 2 TB you already have.
    SSDs main concern is the write/read-cycles - as you're doing development, I'll assume there's gonna be a LOT of activity (read/write) with small changes. This is not really what SSDs are made for, and you could risk breaking it "before its time". There isn't really any benefit to it either - speed? Yes, but you'll be reading and writing text-files (code) - it's not gonna matter.
    My suggestion, if you want separate physical drives, would be 1 SSD for each OS, and 1 (or more) normal HDs for storage purposes.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  8. leadinmarketing

Best Answers:
    I see! Definitely some serious stuff to consider and I definitely appreciate all the info... I checked the virtual box site again and I see that there is an additional update/extension that basically fixes bugs and allowed certain things to run. I was just about to take your advice and download it until I saw this. But this is a deal breaker. I understand that it may take longer to get fully setup, but I need complete full functionality on Linux. Because I want to be able to be proficient as a "system admin" of sorts. So I want to eventually the inns and outs. And I think it's best if I start now. Even if it requires some frustration and hadhead banging. But thanx. I will give my self a week to fully setup everything, and if it doesn't work out, then I'll go with virtual box.

leadinmarketing, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  9. leadinmarketing

Best Answers:
    You bring up an excellent point. Most of the stuff will be just text edits. I do plan on building some large scripts, but still not a good enough reason to spend extra money on a ssd. But this will also be for programs that I build as well. And also for some games I plan on buying. Sine quality performance demanding games. And I want quality performance. The way I see it now, anything that spins is only for storage! LoL. But yea. Not the expensive oczs or Samsung evos. I am getting more of the drives that my windows os is currently running on. Sandisk smart plus or something like that. 128g
    $55 at Newegg with shipping.

leadinmarketing, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  10. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can do pretty much everything with a virtualized Linux that you can with a bootable installation. I am not aware of anything that you cannot do as far as system commands go.

It is good you have a second computer, because you are going to be hitting the internet often looking for answers. With a virtualized setup, you could do it on one computer. Using VirtualBox, you can clone virtual machines and delete them whenever you want. So you can install your Linux OS as a virtual machine, clone it, make changes, practice, or whatever, and if you screw something up (and you will), you can delete the virtual machine and create another clone of your base installation. If you screw something up with a hard drive install of Linux, you are going to have to reinstall the OS. And what if you want to try out different Linux distributions? You are going to have to create a multiple boot system. But with ViritualBox, it is easy--and as I said before you can have multiple virtual machines (Linux OSes) running at the same time inside of Windows.

VirtualBox is an excellent way to learn Linux. But if you want to do it the hard way, that is fine.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/736984-install-linux-virtualbox-tips

That's what makes it such a great tool to learn Linux.

billzo, Sep 3, 2014 IP