1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need business ideas for travel domain

Discussion in 'General Business' started by drachir05, Sep 1, 2014.

I have a very good (I think) travel domain - it contains the words cheap and airfare. I need some good business ideas for it and how to monetize the site.

drachir05, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  2. Chaseh2

Chaseh2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Are you looking to build an app or provide information? I can suggest ideas from here :)

Chaseh2, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How much time and money are you prepared to sink into your new business venture?

sarahk, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  4. drachir05

drachir05 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was thinking about providing information but if I can find a good app idea, I would certainly be flexible.

Definitely not looking to spend much money but I can invest a lot of time in an idea if it has a good chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    drachir05, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You are competing against very well known sites like wotif and tripadvisor so you need to find a niche where you can shine and bring something special that the big generalist sites can't. What edge do you have that you can exploit?

sarahk, Sep 2, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The travel market is as unpredictable and crazy as it has been for the 30 years or so that I have been using and/or observing and/or working within it (I sold technology to travel companies many moons ago.) When I started as a road warrior many years ago, my travel agent was like an additional admin person to get me through the day. Would not even think of doing anything but calling my agent about anything travel related. Then, the Internet came along and travel agents were disintermediated by online agencies who could offer less and charge less. More recently, the airlines and hotels have figured out that they can sell their own stuff and often offer better deals than the so-called discount websites and so they are disintermediating them in a stroke of poetic justice. Some of the very successful discount carriers, like Southwest, do not even bother to cooperate with the big travel sites and only sell their tickets online via their own site. I think that this trend will only continue as airlines try to minimize any commissions that they have to pay to these sites.

When you combine this likely evolution with the fact that airline travel costs are again going up while flights are miserably packed with too many passengers and too little legroom, it seems like the industry is in dire need of some new solutions. But I don't think that it is yet another travel agency website, unless you carve out a unique niche that is still large enough to support revenue needs and won't be cannibalized by the airlines themselves.

jrbiz, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    lol, my husband is excited that next year we're going to fly on a "dreamliner" - only with a budget airline so I've queried what that actual advantage is. Mostly I'm just glad that we're both short.

As for the OP, there may be a niche that doesn't focus on flights or accommodation that may be suitable - but it may involve personally knocking on doors to get advertisers. I'm working on something at the moment that will involve a lot of that but if we pull it off it won't matter that we don't clip the ticket on fares and lodging.

sarahk, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I flew on a 777 to London recently and it was really nice. I had a cheapo coach seat but was able to sleep (it was a red-eye) and had my own TV with a wide variety of channels, etc. It was reasonably spacious, too. United was the carrier, I believe.

Of course, the main keywords for the OP are "cheap" and "airfare" so some business options may not be optimal. I think that in any industry undergoing change, there are always business opportunities and convenience is a value prized by many. However, it doesn't always work out. For example, I was talking to a few other road warriors recently and they are doing what I do now: visit a travel site like Orbitz or Travelocity to see what options there are for the flights to be booked and then I go to the airline website to place the ticket order and it is usually cheaper. Just as important is that if you have to change your ticket just before or during your flight, it is very expensive and difficult these days, but less so if you bought the ticket directly from the airline. The lesson there is that you cannot just be convenient or cheap at the time of checkout if you are dealing with experienced buyers. And it seems like I am in a demographic that is attractive to the travel industry.

jrbiz, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  9. drachir05

drachir05 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great insight. What kind of service would appeal to? What service do you always wish you could have that the travel services do not have?

10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I personally dont want to see another flight booking system, or another hotel accommodation booking system. I want something where I can say where I am (or an app that knows where I am) and find things I am interested in that are going on within a 20k radius.
    When you are in an area you have never been before, kids are driving you nuts, a win for me would be a nice restaurant with a childrens play room, but you know, we look for this stuff online, and sometimes its when we get back, people say why you not visit this place....

Or another thing is when we stayed somewhere, we choose the what we thought was a good place, but actually, not a great deal of things to do in that vicinity. All booking sites, just focus on just booking, rather they should promote that suburb, and what the hotel is close to. Like if someone is into fine dining, should show up hotels that are within 20minutes walking of top rated restaurants. Someone that has kids, might want to find hotels that are within 30 mins walk of parks, or something for the kids to do. etc.etc.

matt_62, Sep 2, 2014 IP
    qwikad.com, jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  11. drachir05

drachir05 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting. I can relate. Solid idea. I was on a vacation road trip last summer - with the kids and all, visiting several southern cities. For the life of me, I had a nightmare of a time deciding which hotels to book because I didn't have enough information about what else was close to the hotel... Hmmmmm...

matt_62 likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    One thing that comes to mind would be to bring back a feature of airline tickets from 20 years ago: being able to easily/inexpensively switch tickets between carriers. Back in the 1990's, it was possible to take your ticket for US Air to the gate at United and they would accept it for the same flight destination if they had a seat available. You would not believe how fast and easy that used to be and just about all carriers did it. No fees to do it, either.

If you were able to create a "universal airline ticket" like that, travelers like me would line up for it. It is so convenient to catch an earlier flight with another carrier if you have gotten to the airport early. Keep in mind, of course, that it would need to be competitively priced with standard tickets (or just slightly higher) or the benefit would be lost because you can always spend more with an airline to get this type of option.

jrbiz, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That might be beyond the scope of the OP who just wants to use his domain well, not overhaul the airline industry :p

sarahk, Sep 3, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    He asked what I would wish for... :D

But imagine if you could get two airlines to agree to use a "universal ticket" as a differentiator. If it is as successful as I think that it would be, you could then add a third airline, etc. The change could be incremental, but getting the first two airlines would be key, of course.

jrbiz, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  15. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Part of me wants to say: "No, we definitely do not need another flight booking site." Yet a couple times I ended up buying tickets from cheapoair. Had never heard of them before and then was looking for a cheap ticket and vu a la.

qwikad.com, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  16. mk810

mk810 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You're looking in a very competitive industry. Your only chance would be to really niche down and find something really unique you focus on.

But my advice, just sell the domain to someone else and let them waste their time/money

mk810, Sep 4, 2014 IP
  17. RichardGB

RichardGB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want to do this business, I think it would be nice to start from selling tickets and organizing trips for your friends and family. After you gain some experience in this industry you may try to open a web page and control your prices with well-known and experienced path you have walked through.

RichardGB, Sep 4, 2014 IP
  18. seoxpertz

seoxpertz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Travel domain would be a nice experiment to have. You can have adsense ads on your domain which would help in getting you revenue as well as increase your business.

seoxpertz, Sep 10, 2014 IP