1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Very important question about meta tags. ASAP

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by weakpa2, Aug 20, 2014.

I read one blogs saying that every post should have meta tags and this is his tutorial.
    Step 1. Log in into your blogger.
    Step 2. Choose your one blog.
    Step 3. Go to template>>edit html.
    Step 4. And find the code <b:include data=’blog’ name=’all-head-content’/>
    Step 5. Then paste the below codes below the above code.

<b:if cond='data:blog.url == "PAGE-URL"'>
    <meta content='PAGE-DESCRIPTION' name='description'/>
    <meta content='PAGE-KEYWORDS' name='keywords'/>
    </b:if>

Step 6. Now you have to paste the above code every times when you posts.

Note: If you have 20 posts, you should copy and paste the above code 20 times too.

Step 7. Click on Save template button.

Code (markup):
    BUT his all post having the same meta tags. Is it okay to have the same meta tags in every post?

weakpa2, Aug 20, 2014 IP
  2. maddenitrous

maddenitrous Member

Best Answers:
    Title and meta description are the only meta tags that are important now, so I would focus on these meta tags whether the website is static or dynamic.

maddenitrous, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  3. George Peirson

George Peirson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi weakpa2, every page title must be different. And every page description must be different. That is one of the first things Google looks at to see if there are problems on your site. In your above example where it says PAGE-DESCRIPTION that needs to be replaced with an actual description for that page. The search engines no longer look at the keyword meta tag but it is a convenient place to put the keywords that you are targeting for that page for easy reference.

George Peirson, Aug 22, 2014 IP
    Jameyson MacDonald likes this.
  4. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've read this before, but this isn't true. While the actual significance of keywords for ranking is negligible, they are indeed used to determine what your web page is about. When a web page is crawled, the spider will use the keywords, meta description, meta title, and a combination of other factors to determine what the web page is about and how it should be indexed.

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  5. George Peirson

Best Answers:
    The major search engines are currently ignoring the Keyword Meta Tag, not keywords in general. The search engines determine what they believe your keywords are based on content on the page, link alt tags, link text, image names, captions, etc. They just ignore that keyword meta tag in the head section. The reason they do this is that SEOs spent so much time in the past abusing that particular tag that it has become irrelevant. I still include the tag in my pages, but only as a convenient place to keep my keywords I am using to target on that page, for reference. Of course you can't trust search engines, tomorrow they may decide to begin looking at that tag again. Since they currently ignore it there is no harm in keeping it on the page, just don't expect it to have any affect on ranking.

6. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you're saying really only applies to Google. According to Duane Forrester, Senior Product Manager for Bing Webmaster, meta keywords are one of many things they consider. While Yahoo stopped considering meta keywords in 2007, when Bing bought them out and Bing's algorithms took over, meta keywords once again became a consideration.

Most SEO experts do acknowledge that using meta keywords comes with a certain amount of risk because this has been so abused over the years and if it looks like you're trying to keyword stuff, you can even get penalized, but given that they are still being considered by Bing and Yahoo, cautious usage of them can still help your site...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I'm just one stubborn individual. I wasn't aware of what you said and I've been doing SEO for years... But you're absolutely right. While Bing and Yahoo may be using meta keywords as some sort of gauge, the overall importance of meta keywords in general is miniscule if anything.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  7. George Peirson

Best Answers:
    You are so right Jameyson, for Google the keyword tag is useless, not of much use anywhere else. But at least it isn't currently being looked at as a negative factor. So I still use the tag, but mostly as a reminder of my keywords on a page by page basis. If it helps on the other search engines great, if it doesn't no great loss as I am not relying on it.

And after all, maybe that one great sale that you really needed today came in from a smaller search engine that still uses that tag.

I think at times we place too much importance on Google SERPs. If we are going for ad placement then Google is almost necessary (although I have had better results on Bing). But to be completely honest here, I get most of my actual sales from non-Google sources.

Jameyson MacDonald likes this.
  8. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are not so important, but some SE's are still using them... Just write them look NATURAL and don't just write keywords! ;)

patco, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  9. weakpa2

weakpa2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

weakpa2, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  10. ishrar

ishrar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Meta tag must be different for each pages.you can make it dynamic by code or every time write some different.

ishrar, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  11. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    No. You need to have different meta tags in all posts so as to keep it unique. Same meta tags will negatively affect the site's ranking.

rankwatch.com, Aug 26, 2014 IP