1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Html page done - client want a news section - what todo?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Alphavader, Aug 9, 2014.

Hey all,

first of all - i have good html and css skills - and php basics.
    I build up a nice webside for a client - at first he want a static page
    without any interaction. Now he decided, that he wants a news section.

- simple login and create some news, delete or edit them.

What would be the best solution? I decided to go on with wordpress then,
    but is there a simple admin pannel out there or any hint you have ?

Found out that free and simple CMS might be the solution - like couch CMS -
    what do you think ?

Thanks,
    Alpha

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Alphavader, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  2. Alphavader

Alphavader Peon

Best Answers:
    nearly 100 views, but no reply :( - cmon pros!

Alphavader, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Problem 1:With a question that vague, and that unfocused would take a month to just figure out what you are asking for.
    Problem 2: No link no code nothing to indicates is the site is selling bananas i Alaska or offering fishing lessons in the Sahara.
    Problem 3: The mere mention of crap like wordpress is automatically going to tell most of us we might get involve with yet another unmaintainable mess if we respond.

COBOLdinosaur, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    And from the other side of the argument

WordPress means you can quickly give the client the site he wants. It auto updates, and when he wants to add a page or something you can do it in a jiffy.

And the control panel is as simple as you'll get.

sarahk, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  5. Alphavader

Alphavader Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes - i dont have any code to provide yet - cause the page isnt uploaded and in a prototype stage.
    Its full html5 and almost done - i just wanted to know how you would handle this, if an client asked for a
    simple cms to write news on a page. converting everything to an wordpress theme seems very heavy workload -
    i think ill stick with this CouchCMS - its cheap and very clean.
    Do you have other cms you would integrate into an static HTML Page ?

Alphavader, Aug 10, 2014 IP
  6. carrieathomer

carrieathomer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is your best bet. You just convert all the static pages into wordpress pages and include a news section using sidebar in the home page of wordpress or on the bottom of the wordpress. categorize all the news in the post and pull only that particular category post as news and show in the news section.

carrieathomer, Aug 10, 2014 IP
  7. kevinseo1

kevinseo1 Member

Best Answers:
    if You Know Basics of PHP Then it is very Easy !!! add the login and register Button and very Simple code of registration and Login page and just need to insert The query into Database of Registration and select the Query for Login !!!

Good Luck !!!Do it!!

kevinseo1, Aug 10, 2014 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how "insert the query into database" covers all the complexity of providing a cms tool for managing the news and comments and protecting against sql injection etc.

sarahk, Aug 10, 2014 IP
  9. Alphavader

Alphavader Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks - then ill try Wordpress! My harddrive crashed this morning anyway - so i could start from the beginning. - I have an older save - but it need some teweaks - so i could start with wordpress.
    I like wordpress alot - but as a programmer, wordpress feels so slow, when you have to click through all this sides and sections - in html you can access everything so fast via notepad++^^

If all of you guys always go with this "big" cms - or is someone just say - go for a clean and very slim cms ?
    What do you think about http://www.couchcms.com/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Alphavader, Aug 10, 2014 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Out of the box it looks good - but can you add functionality?

sarahk, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  11. Alphavader

Alphavader Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you can.
    Ill stick with this couch cms - its clean and easy to use.
    Also my client isnt a computer pro - the wordpress admin pannel can be so overhelming.
    He just wants to log in and type news - thats it. So thanks guys - ill write up - how it worked out.

Alphavader, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  12. gotkloud

gotkloud Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gotkloud, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which is like saying a 1984 Yugo GV for the North American market is one of the better automobiles compared to a Reliant Robin, Fiat 128, and Ford Pinto.

In many ways turdpress is the poster child for everything wrong with web development today.

deathshadow, Aug 12, 2014 IP
    COBOLdinosaur and malky66 like this.
  14. shemseddine

shemseddine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say give him a simple wordpress website for interacting with the news feed and just grab an addon to display the newest ones on the site you created. (Also make him pay for it)

shemseddine, Aug 12, 2014 IP
  15. webmaster_crasher

webmaster_crasher Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress can be simple content management system(cms). It may look so complex but i will assure you that its 100% user friendly.. You code in to hide the unnecessary functions or install a plugin that would hide those..

webmaster_crasher, Aug 12, 2014 IP
  16. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not to mention 100% hacker friendly...

malky66, Aug 12, 2014 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  17. webmaster_crasher

webmaster_crasher Member

Best Answers:
    Oh well, if you dont update you wordpress and the plugins.. it could be vulnerable to hacking... Dont install plugins you are not sure with or give access to people whom you just meet

webmaster_crasher, Aug 12, 2014 IP
  18. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not noob bashing here..but, that's exactly what they do, download some shitty theme, plugin, widget garbage because it's free, next thing they come here moaning their sites been hacked, seen it a million times before, everyone say's the same old crap, use Wordpress it's easy...fact is, it isn't.

malky66, Aug 12, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  19. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which pretty much means EVERY plugin since turdpress has ZERO internal security, multiple entry vectors, so even the slightest code elevation means pwnage of the whole blasted thing.

They are SO ignorant of security they put the bloody SQL login/host info into DEFINE. If you don't know what's wrong with that, you have no business deploying ANYTHING written with PHP. (You might as well leave the connection global in scope and still be using mysql_ functions -- OH WAIT!)

It's bad enough that PHP is insecure by design, without intentionally making it less secure. It REALLY deserved that pwnie award back in '08, and to be frank they've done nothing to actually fix the gaping security holes and halfwit broken practices used in it's construction.

"For people who know nothing about websites BY people who know nothing about websites" is NOT a sound battle plan. A view source of the default template ALONE is such a terrifying laundry list of how not to build a website, I can't fathom how ANYONE would use it by choice other than ignorance and stupidity.

... and it seems that ignorance and stupidity go hand in hand with most of the people sleazing out websites these days, both in site owners and developers. Turdpress, Bootcrap, jQueery, off the shelf templates from whorehouses like ThemeForest or TemplateMonster, dicking around drawing PSD's before you even have semantic markup and a working layout... it's all a bunch of sleazy halfwit bullshit that makes websites less useful to visitors and pretty much doomed to "also ran" status.

Right now there are WAY too many people taking sleazy shortcuts and it's biting them even when they're blissfully unaware of it. It's just more of this idiotic halfwit "Now now now who cares how bad it plows us later!" attitude that seems to have taken over society as a whole. It's just another bit of the halfwit credit mentality I guess; pay more later for something you can't afford now. Yeah, that's gonna work.

Seems like most people making websites now don't want to put the effort in that's required to be successful at it. Have fun with that.

deathshadow, Aug 13, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and malky66 like this.
  20. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said with the first comment in this thread:
    "The mere mention of crap like wordpress is automatically going to tell most of us we might get involve with yet another unmaintainable mess if we respond."

Garbage in; garbage out and if you look up garbage in the dictionary you will see the Wordpress logo.

In the hands of a gifted pro developer; Wordpress or any other crap sandwich can be used produce a decent site. However there are few gifted developers around and most of them actually know how to do their own code without needing to dig through the garbage dump for third party collections of moronic approaches on how to screw up the internet.

COBOLdinosaur, Aug 13, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.