1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can someone please help me? I'm so lost!

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by christoffrrr, Aug 9, 2014.

Okay, so basically I'm studying an advanced diploma of graphic design. I've been doing design stuff for a long time. Im now 21, i first learnt HTML when I was 10 but left it. Now we're doing it at school im interested again, im now confident with HTML and CSS and can create beautiful minimalistic websites. However, I had this same problem when i was younger... which is how the eff do I upload it? I bought managed wordpress hosting on godaddy (it was recommended) I have googled and youtubed and everything but i just dont know what I'm doing! I have a fully coded site that I have to get online, in the old days I used an FTP client (googling now suggests a CMS has taken over) so i bought a wordpress managed hosting. but how do I upload my site?

I hope this isnt too long, im not an idiot. im just confused. once i have the basics ill be fine but i just struggle to find my footing with web sometimes. i would love if anyone could actually spare 20 minutes of their time to chat with me. on facebook or whatever. it would mean the world to me. thanks again guys!

christoffrrr, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Christo

I'm not sure what the hosting package allows you to do but I'd have expected that you could do what you like on it.

first up - download filezilla and use that as your ftp tool. Godaddy will give you the details to plug in - should be reasonably easy to understand what to do from there.

Now, wordpress has it's own templating system and as a designer there is considerable merit in learning how to code up the templates - and you can convert your beautiful site to wordpress but it may take a while to learn the ins and outs of doing it.

I'd recommend creating a subfolder to upload your existing your work and then consider what your next step should be.

sarahk, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  3. christoffrrr

christoffrrr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks for replying Sarah, I've just bought a domain for my hosting. I setup my server in dreamweaver with the sFTP details. I was hoping it would override but my domain is still a wordpress page. I don't understand it I have to learn I just need to know what direction im going in as im sooo confused. I kinda thought wordpress was like an online FTP client where you just upload your files and ta-da you have a website, I actually have no idea what wordpress even does at this point apart from being a CMS. which I don't understand that either. I mainly just want to upload my site at the moment, then work on what ever the hell wordpress and CMS is later. ive been doing this for days and im just so eager to get somewhere, should i buy a real hosting? i only bought this hosting because it was easier to manage with wordpress. but i want my own custome site that ive coded, not something made by wordpress. like how do I do that?

christoffrrr, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd get on the phone to GoDaddy (in NZ they have a local phone number, they'll have one for Aus too) and let them know that you need a plain old hosting site.

WordPress is an amazing CMS but it seems they've got some sort of easy-peasy hosting package that locks you into WP which is good for most people - but not you, in this instance.

I don't use dreamweaver because I'm not a designer and historically it's cut really nasty html - might be ok these days, don't know - so I can't really comment on its ftp tool.

And when it's done post over in the website reviews section for some feedback. I'd love to see it.

sarahk, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  5. spujap

spujap Active Member

Best Answers:
    Though you have purchased managed wordpress hosting, have they provided FTP details to view/edit the files & directories that were created by Wordpress. Then you have to delete (backup in a separate folder) those files & directories and upload all the files coded by you using a FTP client (Filezilla).

But, ideally you don't need a managed wordpress service for this, ask them if it's possible to downgrade/upgrade to normal hosting where you could just upload your files to server using FTP.

spujap, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  6. rajgupta

rajgupta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a WordPress page online on your hosting,WordPress is actually installed and running there.
    WordPress is a CMS, basically a website in it's own self and if you have a site coded in whole on your system, you don't need WordPress. Managed hosting must have come with some good support promises.. use them. Get on to chat with the support staff and ask questions. They will be in a better position to tell how to use your package. One thing for sure though, you don't need WP if you have a fully designed HTML/CSS site...ftp to web server will do.

rajgupta, Aug 17, 2014 IP