1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting company lost website. Advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by oxplode, Aug 7, 2014.

So I was using a certain script which you must pay for monthly to use it, it is also hosted by the same company which provides the script. This company seems to have accidentally deleted my website including the 20k+ members, template, emails etc...everything. The website has now been down over a week which obviously has had detrimental effect on the reputation. The website made around $500-$2000 a month depending on advertising. More time in = More out.

Just wondering what my options are here? I would rather not take legal action.

P.S. There is no option to make a backup other than the template I created. Everything else was held by them, including database of 20k+ members.

oxplode, Aug 7, 2014 IP
  2. DaveGmac

DaveGmac Member

Best Answers:
    There is a site... whose name I do not recall at this time, that keeps track of old sites........., I will attempt to look in my history folder to see if I can locate the URL.

here it is.... https://archive.org/web/ this may help you to locate the site..... good luck!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    DaveGmac, Aug 7, 2014 IP
  3. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    archive.org can only get you so much. Depending on the type of website it can prove rather useless in getting up and running again.

HostDash, Aug 7, 2014 IP
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, its just for historical and statistical purposes mostly. Now, regarding the case in question, the lack of backups sounds pretty discouraging. Always, always and I mean ALWAYS keep offsite backups, its a little effort that could save you a lot of trouble. You can ask the host if they would be able to retrieve an old backup, which they should have, especially if it was a very recent occurrence. This would be your best bet. Apart from that there is nothing much you can do apart from getting some kind of refund/compensation which wouldn't be much, seeing that you practically have to start all over again.

By the way, how did the host "accidentally delete your website"? Sounds like either a "kiddie host" that don't know what they're doing or there is more to that story that might give us a better idea of what happened. Either ways - best of luck in retrieving your database and use this as a lesson about backups.

Rado_ch, Aug 7, 2014 IP