1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the difference between content writing , article writing and ebook writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by chinesegirl07, Aug 6, 2014.

give me some idea about the difference between those mentioned above.

Solved! View solution.
    chinesegirl07, Aug 6, 2014 IP
  2. Derek.Res

Derek.Res Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, it all depends whom you are asking, as some may interpret article writing as one thing or another.
    Content writing generally refers to a written post that contains valuable information about the 'given content' that can usually be used or benefit marketing.
    Article writing is usually a long article on any given subject, you can possibly differentiate it to a short news post or shorter opinion blog posts.
    eBooks, well, it's just a book in digital format, so it would have chapters and such.

Hope this helps!

Derek.Res, Aug 7, 2014 IP
    'Content writing' as such is a very broad domain that covers almost all types of writing. It is divided into a number of categories and sub-categories as copywriting, web writing, blog writing, technical writing, press release writing, SEO writing etc. (Each category deals specifically with that particular type of writing.)

Article
    • An article is usually a short piece of written material that focuses on a definite point or topic.
    • The scope of an article is very limited as compared to that of a whole ebook.
    • It can be considered as an independent part of any type of publication such as a magazine or a newspaper.
    • It typically consists of at least a title/heading, the main body and a conclusion.
    Ebook
    • An ebook is an electronic/digital version of any book that has a much bigger scope than a single article.
    • Its content is usually but not necessarily centered around a broadly applicable concept and the popular industrial trends that revolve around it. It mostly explains a concept right from the basics. (Sometimes, related concepts are also briefly explained.)
    • It can be considered as a collection of different articles compiled in a logical and coherent manner.
    • An ebook typically consists of at least a print cover, a brief about the publication and author, TOC (Table of Contents), the main text/body organized into navigable chapters or sections, a concluding section or chapter that mentions the purpose of the ebook and a not-always-long index of used terms and references.

Composing an ebook takes more time and efforts on the writer's part and the resources required/consumed are also more in number when compared to writing a single article (as is obvious from the differences pointed out above).
    Both, 'ebook writing' as well as 'article writing', are sub-domains that fall into 'content writing'. 'Content writing' includes but is NOT limited to both.

My 2c. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Content Maestro, Aug 7, 2014 IP
    chinesegirl07 and Rado_ch like this.
  4. creztor

creztor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Content Maestro already provided a very good description. Content can be used for anything. Articles are usually very short in nature and brief. eBook writing is around a topic that will typically cover several chapters and as such many pages.

creztor, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  5. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    This sort of debate has gone on a long time. Maestro said it very well, but I'd like to add this:

First, content is anything. If it's written, it's content. At least in the broadest definition.

Now, as a copywriter, I might say that content writing and copywriting are two different things. The difference being similar to the difference between sales and marketing.

Sales and copywriting are direct attempts to persuade a reader, listener or viewer to take action.

Content writing and marketing are designed to gently push a person through a funnel of ever-increasing engagement in order to get to a point of sale.

At least, this is a rough comparison.

The real questions you should be asking is: what is my goal? What do I want my writing to do?

The answer to this question may be writing an article, a blog or a landing page to sell an eBook.

Content writing, i.e. blogs, articles, newsletters, forum posts, etc. are good for informing and moving a reader along to something a bit more agreesive. They are generally used early in the marketing process.

Landing pages, sales pages, sales letters, website homepages, ads, brochures, etc. are copywriting categories that tend to push a little harder. Copywriting pieces like these try to get a person to do something right away, be it buy or efll in a form or make a phone call.

eBooks, technical whitepapers and other long-form pieces are generally not used as marketing, at least not in and of themselves. Often, in fact, these types of pieces are twht is being sold.

My two cents too :)

SCookAAM, Aug 11, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  6. chinesegirl07

chinesegirl07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for the inputs it is indeed very enlightening, I am also wondering if anyone of you who wrote content that follow the rule in benefit and feature? Is it that necessary?

chinesegirl07, Aug 12, 2014 IP
  7. rhephialow

rhephialow Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I think the same so :D tee hee

rhephialow, Aug 13, 2014 IP
  8. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depend on what I write. If I write for myself. Then sometimes I don't follow exactly. I write how I want it to be.
    But if it is writing for client, then we will need to follow to the client requirement and needs.

Melisa455, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  9. TREYC

TREYC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Honestly I think it's all about the way you approach it, article writing is supposed to get a point across while content writing would be trying to keep a reader interested.

That's just my personal opinion though..

TREYC, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  10. chinesegirl07

chinesegirl07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see, thanks for this. I thought that benefit and feature is a standard content writing procedure. In this case, probably it is just a client requirement. :)

chinesegirl07, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  11. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this. I like your explanation. I typically get confused with the terms such as "article writing", "content writing", and "copywriting". By the way, what is the difference between "copywriting" and "article writing"?

pretty10, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  12. mikron

mikron Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Article writing is usually for giving out information. Copywriting is used for marketing and advertising.

If you wanted to write an article about dog grooming. You would research various information on dog grooming methods. And create a useful article on your website containing information on the various techniques.

If on the other hand you wanted to write copy for a dog grooming product such as a new shampoo. You would do research on your product and your competitor's product. You would compare features and benefits. Come up with a unique offer. Create a headline that selects only the people who are in the market for a dog shampoo that will get them to read the rest of the ad. You would tease them with information. And usually elicit some kind of action from them if you are a direct response copywriter. If you are writing copy for general advertising. You would try to show them how your product is different from your competitors, so that the next time they are at Petmart, they will remember your ad and buy your shampoo.

mikron, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  13. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer! :)

14. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are welcome @pretty10.:)
    What article writing is has already been discussed a lot. As far as copywriting goes, @SCookAAM and @mikron have explained it very well here. Briefly, it's about toning your writing in a way that arouses your prospects' interest in your product, convinces them about its worth and stimulates them to buy it. In other words, it's the pitch you craft that gets you sales.
    You might also want to take a look at this thread where differences between 'copywriting' and 'content writing' have been pointed out - https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/content-writing-vs-copywriting.2718243/.

Content Maestro, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  15. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it. :)

16. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this question has been asked many times.
    But I think in this forum, there are more demand on content writing then copywriting.

Melisa455, Sep 11, 2014 IP