1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ginger : is this the best grammar checker application?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by chinesegirl07, Aug 1, 2014.

I am using ginger to help me check my grammar, but most of the time I dont like this application because it slows down my MS Word and the auto correct for misspelled word is the worst. any suggestion?

chinesegirl07, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  2. Normanwalker

Normanwalker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Personally, I don't like using grammar checkers. There are way too many special rules in grammar for a program to be 100% accurate, some times they could even do opposite. Which is why I check all my grammar manually. It's slower, but I'd rather be thorough than sloppy. And you get a lot quicker over time without compromising quality.

Grammar takes practice, and when you're confident in your own abilities, chances are you won't even need a grammar checker. My suggestion is that you hone your grammar skills and get completely comfortable with it. Just keep reading, writing, and be sure to google grammatical confusions so that you learn.

But if you're completely fine with losing a bit of quality to save time, I hear grammarly is pretty good. And I'm sure quite a few people will tell you the same thing :)

Normanwalker, Aug 1, 2014 IP
    chinesegirl07 likes this.
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I take a slightly different approach. I listen to the grammar/spelling checkers built into whatever software I'm using. When the suggested fix is correct I use it. When the suggested fix is wrong or seems weird, I often rewrite the sentence. My thinking is that if the grammar checker spit it out, a reader might have trouble with it too.

YMC, Aug 2, 2014 IP
  4. chinesegirl07

chinesegirl07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just hate it when someone do the grammar police in not so good way.That is why I asked someone to proof read my work what he did is highlighted my work and said that is are not correct and have to correct it by my own. Thats is also the reason why I chose not to write articles anymore Its kindda frustrating.

chinesegirl07, Aug 6, 2014 IP
  5. JessUBotNinja

JessUBotNinja Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can understand that someone just telling you what you did wrong is frustrating, but perhaps you can set up with someone to not only tell you what is wrong, but also why it is wrong and then you fix it. Unfortunately, the best way for you to learn grammar is to use it properly and regularly. Fixing your own mistakes, especially after understanding why what you did before was incorrect, will help you become a better writer. Eventually, you will need less and less assistance.

JessUBotNinja, Aug 13, 2014 IP
    degreubiwa likes this.
  6. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've used Ginger in the past to check my punctuation, as it's a lot better than the inbuilt checker in MS Word. That said, I have noticed that it regularly flags up words as being grammatically incorrect, or wrong, when they're not, so I advise using it with caution. It over-rides the MS Word checker, which is why you can't use both at once.

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  7. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like Normanwalker has answered your question nicely. I would say no software or tool can help you make your content 100% correct. So you can't find the "best" spelling and grammar checker tool. In my experience Grammarly is better than Ginger. But remember, you can't fully rely on any kind of tools. They can't make your articles perfect so better seek the help of an English speaker before you publish your content.

pretty10, Aug 30, 2014 IP
  8. chinesegirl07

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for the insights. I really do appreciate it. Will take all your advices accordingly. :)

chinesegirl07, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  9. AuctionEssistance

AuctionEssistance Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use grammarly for structure and overall correction. When you write a lot of articles, I find it to be very useful. However, it does catch everything nor does it provide the most accurate corrections. At times, you will need to make some corrections. Other than that, I am pretty happy with it.

AuctionEssistance, Sep 6, 2014 IP
  10. chinesegirl07

Best Answers:
    I will check grammarly. Right now, I am using ginger but I would like this application to get out of my system as it slows down my typing speed as well the whole operating system.

chinesegirl07, Sep 7, 2014 IP
  11. weakpa2

weakpa2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    ginger is very helpful...but the best thing you do is to read and read the article you wrote until you saw something that is not good in your article.

weakpa2, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  12. nameless7

nameless7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I haven't found my perfect grammar checker yet, but Ginger is one of the best tools in the niche.

nameless7, Nov 13, 2014 IP
  13. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would also suggest to check out Grammarly, as some people did before.

You can also try going to Fiverr and see, if there's someone willing to edit/proofread your writing. A cheap alternative to expensive editing services.

Apart from that, the standard MS Word features have worked perfectly for me. You have to keep in mind, some of these grammar tools have to create a sense of their superiority over MS Word (by highlighting more specific grammar issues). To make you switch to them. Eventually, they end up being too picky and I've seen some solid texts butchered because of remarks from grammar checking tools. Just a heads up.

Alex Toll, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  14. Trex69

Trex69 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Initially, I used Ginger, but then I decided that it's better a colleague of mine to make the proof reading. I mean Ginger might be very good, but it'll never be better than a human.

Trex69, Dec 1, 2014 IP
  15. Alicia Suji

Alicia Suji Member

Best Answers:
    how can i use ginger?? where can i get the app? i have no idea.....

Alicia Suji, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  16. Dig_A_Pony

Dig_A_Pony Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I am using Ginger.
    It's a terrific tool at least for me when I'm writing emails and doing some homework, there are always those small typos that you miss....
    I think you can get Ginger from their website, Google Ginger software.

I also found that they have a keyboard app, so I am using it also on my mobile, I am covered from all sides :)

Dig_A_Pony, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  17. consul

consul Active Member

Best Answers:
    A number grammar of software mentioned here are quite interesting. I'll have a personal look at them too.

Allow me to share my opinion on this issue. Grammar is not learned overnight. It is perfected over years of experience. The best way to start developing a good sense of grammar is to read English grammar books. Learn the rules. Practice and observe them every time you write. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Just know why you have such errors and do your best to avoid them. Hone your skills through writing articles. It also helps to read short stories, novels, etc. Always make it a habit to check your sentence. You will be surprised at how much you will improve.

Just keep on reading; keep on writing; keep on learning.

To the OP, I wish you well. May you find the right tool for you. Do remember to review your grammar once and a while. It pays to go back to good old reading than to rely on special software.

God bless.

consul, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  18. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I have a spelling checker,
    It came with my PC;
    It plainly marks four my revue
    Mistakes I cannot sea.
    I've run this poem threw it,
    I'm sure your pleased too no,
    its letter perfect in it's weigh,
    My checker tolled me sew.

I just thought this poem was cute. :) I'm not sure if he/she is the original author but it was posted in the comment section of THIS news article by commenter "clkottke."

Rebecca, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  19. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest that you ask someone (professional) to proofread your content.
    I don't believe in such application. It is better if a real person proofread for you.
    Or, read it over and over again. :)

Patricia Ann Lee, Mar 17, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  20. rouseyleendar

rouseyleendar Peon

Best Answers:
    Ginger shows grammar and spelling errors in real time when typing. However, It doesn't find punctuation errors and does not explain errors. Moreover, Ginger doesn't see plagiarism. I believe, the best grammar checker can deal with all these issues. It can effectively detect all the mistakes in grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary. By the way, a good grammar checker is able to proofread any given material.

rouseyleendar, Nov 4, 2017 IP