1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Other ways to make money from themes?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lee_day_designandrcoding, Jul 29, 2014.

Hey, i've just finished building a fairly feature rich theme, i do plan on adding more, but in the mean time, other than selling it as a product, are there any other cool methods that you can recommend?

I have seen people on here before selling links in the footers of themes, which i am quite interested in, as it's a quick way to make cash, but are there any other methods? For instance has anyone seen any good results from releasing a free version of a theme, with a link in the footer back to their site where the premium theme exists?

I could do with some cash right now so any tips i would appreciate a lot right now. I've got to admit i've been focusing so much on design and coding side of things that i have yet to developer a successful business strategy.

Thanks in advance
    Lee.

2. OffshoreGB

OffshoreGB Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best option for selling theme is themeforest...
    You can get lots of clients there.. Best of luck!!

OffshoreGB, Jul 29, 2014 IP
  3. lee_day_designandrcoding

lee_day_designandrcoding Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, thanks, i tried that, it's not easy getting a theme accepted !! ;) Truth be told, if i had done a theme that was corporate looking i would try to improve and get it accepted but the site i have coded was a kinda grime type design for a Mixed Martial Arts and Muay-Thai promotion type site. Has an event countdown , cutsom post type for the events with custom meta boxes, also have a custom post type for fighters where you can also input their stats via custom meta boxes. Has a lot of coded features but my designs just aren't capable to get accepted, my coding is awsome, design is lacking...

4. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    What software is your theme for?

RAND0M1ZER, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  5. lee_day_designandrcoding

Best Answers:
    Wordpress

6. OffshoreGB

OffshoreGB Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. Then create your own website to sell your own creation.. ;)

OffshoreGB, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  7. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    Linking back a theme in the footer to your portfolio is a great way to get recognized if you are just starting out. Especially if a few prominent websites start using your theme. If you decide to do this, I would recommend making it available through wordpress.org, which is the first place people look. The real money in web design is doing custom jobs for high paying clients.

RAND0M1ZER, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  8. lee_day_designandrcoding

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions, i do have a site and am planning to do more themes to sell, but i am just starting out and have no traffic yet. Considering releasing it through wordpress.org as you suggested, maybe i could give away a free version with footer link, and if they want to remove it they can pay a license fee or something along those lines.

Randomizer, if you can get clients, i'd be up for doing the coding ;)

9. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the offer but I am a coder myself and don't need any employees at this time

RAND0M1ZER, Aug 2, 2014 IP
  10. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just a random idea. Why not team up with product creators in your niche (MMA), who have an affiliate program to sell this as part of the affiliate package?

Ethan Alvin, Aug 2, 2014 IP
  11. lee_day_designandrcoding

Best Answers:
    Ah oki, cool i didn't know you was a coder but it's always nice to meet fellow coders, cheers for taking the time to reply to my thread. I'm probably going to go with your suggestion for the time being as currently i am a nobody in the web dev world, maybe people will trust me more if i can get something on there and interact with the community on there.

Interesting, good idea, i did see someone suggest in another thread ( it may have been you in fact lol ) to offer a high commission rate to affiliates, which i am highly interested in doing to get started, but this is deffo another possibility, suppose i had better do some googling.

12. Ferzy

Ferzy Member

Best Answers:
    Your theme sounds way too custom made for a specific type of sites and it's hard to find an audience for that. That's why themeforest do not accept it, and you will probably have a hard time selling it, or even distributing it for free.

Try to make more general themes, niche is good, but that niche, so people can use it on multiple projects. It's not good to pigeonhole yourself in a hole when you build a theme for wide distribution.

Those type of themes are ideal if they are commissioned as custom themes by specific sites, so maybe that's something you may want to look into.

"site i have coded was a kinda grime type design for a Mixed Martial Arts and Muay-Thai promotion type site. Has an event countdown , cutsom post type for the events with custom meta boxes, also have a custom post type for fighters where you can also input their stats via custom meta boxes."

Ferzy, Aug 3, 2014 IP
  13. alinasandor

alinasandor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some people sale custom fonts that they created with the theme.

alinasandor, Aug 4, 2014 IP
  14. lee_day_designandrcoding

Best Answers:
    Cool, i have thought about making this theme multipurpose, i'm going to try to make it useable as a blog aswell, and add in quite a lot of custom page templates (several homepage layouts etc), probably add in an option to change the countdown at the top of the site to adverts if you don't have a current event post selected as active.

Cool, hadn't thought of that because i'm not a typographer, however for others that are i'm sure this is going to make them money ;)

15. YOUNGDW

YOUNGDW Member

Best Answers:
    You can try creating Premium themes for blogs on MyBizziBlog.

YOUNGDW, Aug 9, 2014 IP