1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress theme for design company?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by superfitgirl, Jul 8, 2014.

Hello! I'm a student and I'm looking to start a web design company. I was thinking of using Wordpress for my site. Is this a good idea? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on themes? There are so many of them I'm overwhelmed. I'm not set on using Wordpress but I hear it is the easiest. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Jenna

superfitgirl, Jul 8, 2014 IP
  2. vazues

vazues Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah I would start with WordPress. Super easy to learn and has enough customization options to achieve most small business client needs.
    For themes a lot of the premium stuff is good to get examples of what is possible, but personally don't use them as they are too bloated. Hope that helps.

vazues, Jul 8, 2014 IP
  3. AlbCoder

AlbCoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can try ecobiz theme
    http://themeforest.net/item/ecobiz-modern-business-wordpress-theme/238701

AlbCoder, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  4. CU_Designs

CU_Designs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, WordPress is the easiest in my opinion to get a site up in no time. But due to the nature of your business (a web design company), wouldn't it be more sensible to create your own theme or site design? Seems kind of strange for a web design company to have a site design for their own site that they did not make themselves. So I'd suggest that you create a design for your own site instead of finding a theme developed by someone that is not even on your web design company's staff. That way it shows people that you support and use your own work. Sends out a positive message. Just my opinion.

CU_Designs, Jul 17, 2014 IP
    kk5st and SSC like this.
  5. Cloudcandy Host

Cloudcandy Host Member

Best Answers:
    I think Wordpress is the easiest to work on for the beginners & to satisfy small business clients requirements...

Cloudcandy Host, Jul 17, 2014 IP
  6. SSC

SSC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Jenna,

Yea, WordPress would be easy to setup, operate, but the business you are looking to jump into is not easy. You would need loads of experience, better, a team a designers, developers to be successful. In web design, you will meet new clients with unique requirements, and the only way to cater these, is with custom solutions which needs expertise, and experience.

Unless you are sure on what you are about to jump into, I would say that you think twice. Starting a business is one thing, and taking your business to the next level is another. I sure am not looking to discourage you, but take this as an alarm.

SSC, Jul 18, 2014 IP
  7. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you're running your own web design/web development business, then you'll probably want to develop your own theme. It'll be kind of funny when people inspect your code (those that know what they're looking for) and see you're running a theme you bought off Themeforest.

One piece of advice

STAY AWAY FROM THEMES HEAVY ON PLUGINS

I want to pull my hair out when clients buy these cheap themes with plugins that come baked in and come packed with crappy shortcodes. Themes are great for a one time job where you slap the theme on and you're done but you'll learn very quickly that it doesn't usually roll that way.

Clients usually want changes, they want things to be customizeable and the majority of themes are nothing short of a major pain to customize. I recently just had a client who bought a Themeforest theme that came packed with these awful designed shortcodes. The "Contact Form" wasn't even setup to send e-mail, it literally just had the front end code in there and that was it. The theme also kept resetting any custom CSS put into the theme's custom CSS section.

I personally prefer to work with SASS for a variety of reasons.

Really though, please don't use a theme. It's nothing but a nightmare and a headache down the road when you want to make it your own. Most themese now days come with full width sliders, paralax sections and all this fancy crap that offers no kind of value for the visitor and makes the load times heavy.

As for Wordpress, every single one of my clients are moved to Wordpress when I take over. I like having control and flexibility, plus there's a ton of plugins that make your life easier. It won't hurt you to get some experience working with platforms like Joomla and Drupal but I highly recommend Wordpress. It can be used for any kind of website.

coreygeer, Jul 18, 2014 IP
    CU_Designs likes this.
  8. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Come on,

you want to open a webdesign company and you have no clue how to code/build/design your OWN themes?

CSM, Jul 18, 2014 IP
    kk5st and SSC like this.
  9. MIYABI

MIYABI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No worries, you can still learn :D

MIYABI, Jul 18, 2014 IP
  10. efforts unlimited

efforts unlimited Member

Best Answers:
    Ya,wordpress is best and would end up in meeting all of your requirements in one go.

efforts unlimited, Jul 22, 2014 IP