1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lack of English Writers on DP?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by TREYC, Jun 18, 2014.

1. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with any sort of online testing is that there is no way to prevent cheating. One of the content services found that out the hard way.

YMC, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  2. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh no, you missed the main rule of the Bible - Don't judge and you will not be judged yourself. And the main rule of this forum - don't abuse and harass other members

By the way, show me the brilliance of your mind and grammar skills, Content Maestro and Malky66.

Rewrite my post to reflect all the magnificence of your writing skills. With grammar, punctuation, and comments if need be.

My intention was not to restrain Indian writers with poor English from visiting this forum. If you want to earn money and your grammar is bad YOU WILL IMPROVE IT in order to be able to PASS THE TEST and GAIN ACCESS to Content section.

I do not know how can it be said more clearly.

H0stZealot, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  3. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I have a life so have no need to follow the rules of some ridiculous fairy story and judging by what you have posted in this thread perhaps you should take your own advice.
    lol, you must live a very sheltered existence if you you think that's abuse and harassment, at least I'm not a blatant racist.

malky66, Jul 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and Content Maestro like this.
  4. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    show me then, where I posed myself as a blatant racist? All I see is your selfish blabbery so far. Did I harass Indian nation somewhere?

And if you have a life - go live it and leave your attempts to show yourself as superior to me in anything. You failed already and I don't care much of your opinion.

5. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't your statement quoted below show it?
    What do you mean by “these Indians”? That sounds rude. In your posts in this thread till now, you have referred to Indians specifically for having low linguistic skills. Not every Indian writer speaks and writes bad English. And people who can't speak and write English properly are not only from India. They are from other countries as well.

I think you seriously need to consider this piece of advice -
    There's a place for every type of budget and service in this industry. Each person puts himself/herself where it's appropriate. No point in kicking about anything. If you have such a big problem with Indians occupying the market over here, find a place for yourself somewhere else.

Content Maestro, Jul 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and malky66 like this.
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    lol, "selfish blabbery", what the hell does that even mean, is it something your tiny little bigoted brain came up with?
    You are the worst kind of racist, one who doesn't even realise he is one, you're the one who wants to segregate Indians into their own forum, you said earlier:

Perhaps we could have a separate forum just for bigots like you, keep all the scum together in one place.

I don't need the likes of you to tell me to "live my life", or to show myself as superior to you, the piles of shit my dog leaves on my lawn are superior to the likes of you.

malky66, Jul 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and Content Maestro like this.
  7. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't you sound selfish to you? You seem to be very selfish.

Okay, do I need to repeat my initial posts every time, so you will be able to trace my idea? The sentence you mentioned referred to the idea widely discussed a couple of pages earlier - that MOST OF Indian writers know English well enough to be able to communicate, but not well enough to be able to produce content. So people discussed the possibility of having some kinds of national forums for such writers to share experience and help each other improve.

This whole thread is dedicated to the problem of Content section being overcrowded by bad-style writers (mostly Indian - no racism here, simply stating the fact). I suggested a solution - to implement an additional check, a grammar test, that would allow to reduce the numbers of writers with poor English (Indian and from other countries). I also expressed the concern that this test will also cut off potential customers, as content-requiring customers do not necessarily speak excellent English.

Instead of discussing this suggestion, you started insulting me based on YOUR understanding of my words and finding there a sense I DID NOT EXPRESS.

I respect Indians as much as all other nations, but their offers of poorly-written content overwhelm many forums, including this.

YOU are a racist, calling me bigot. You are the worst kind of racists, same to Russians, who call all Ukrainians fascists. Without any obvious reason, just because they think they are better. Malky, re-read your posts, maybe you will be able to understand how ridiculous you are and why I don't give a single f1ck on your opinion.

8. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    I answered above. THESE INDIANS stands for THESE INDIAN WRITERS WITH POOR ENGLISH and does not mean ANY racial discrimination.

Stop looking for a straw in your friend's eye, take out a log from yours first.

Who are you, 2 morons, thinking you can insult me because I have my opinion? Why should I care about yours then?

You still did not do what I asked, Maestro. Or just propose an efficient way to clear Content section of crappy posts of Indian writers with poor English.

I suggested a solution that might work. Give your best shot.

9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    LOL. Don't say it please. Makes you sound like a hypocrite.
    Precisely what you need to do.
    Never meant to insult you. But if you think of it that way, can't help.
    You care for my opinion or don't, doesn't make any difference to me.
    Who are you, dimwit, to ask me to do anything?

Already did.
    BTW, it will also help greatly to keep this thread clean if you stop your crappy posts.

It's really pointless to discuss anything with you. Continue posting if you wish. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Content Maestro, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  10. Joseph_F

Joseph_F Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not sure he was being racist. He was a little hard on you I agree, but in fact, your grammar does need some work. He DEFINITELY was not being racist.

You really shouldn't try and incite incitement, that's worse than racism itself. This is a thread about the quality of writing here on DP, and as has been stated by several of the people involved in this thread, there is no racism or offense intended.

Joseph_F, Jul 9, 2014 IP
    H0stZealot likes this.
  11. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the biggest problems with the web, and it's always been this way, is the ignorance (generally speaking) of those who attempt to utilize it for business.

I had a multimedia development firm up until a few years abak. We built large web apps in the tens of thousands, and you wouldn't believe what people thought would happen.

Most entrepreneuers have no idea what the web is, how it works or how to work it. They get their answers from those selling the answers, instead of learning at the very least how things work so they can intelligently hire someone.

I've said it over and over, and I'm glad to see it repeated here: you want a big fish, use big bait. Go cheap and you look cheap. There is no way around this truth.

SCookAAM, Jul 10, 2014 IP
  12. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Joseph. I really care little of how somebody understands my phrase taken out of context. I also stated my English is by far not perfect, yet I do not try to sell my services as a writer. These 2 grammar nazis started insulting me after finding the sense I did not put in my words.

My only goal was to offer a possible soultion for making Content section a bit more worth spending your time in. No discrimination for Indians intended - if they can pass the grammar test - they are most likely able to write correctly, at least. If they don't pass - they should not be humiliated, they should pay some time to improve their skills. As well as British, American, and all other participants of this multinational forum - uncluding me, as chances of me failing Oxford-level grammar test would be high.

I asked you to rewrite my post that is causing so much anger in you, to show me what my mistakes were. It was a request, not an order. You began insulting me instead. Make your own conclusions on who is dimwit here.

Content Maestro said:
    The criteria for selection IMHO should be how well a person can write on any given subject, his/her ability to construct grammatically correct sentences, fluency with and command of the language in question. Rigorous tests should be carried out that will thoroughly assess a prospect's linguistic capabilities and writing skills. This way, it'll be ensured that only quality and serious writers are a part of the job board. I believe sites like Cloudcrowd, iWriter etc. follow this pattern. As far as DP's concerned, I earnestly wish we have something like it soon. (The quality scorer in article marketplace is an appreciable step in this direction. It's surely gonna help weed the crap out.)

Quite a nice suggestion there, ContentMaestro, I suggested the same. Add passing a university-level grammar test for all willing to join the Content section.

DP admins did not say their word or took any action yet. Does this mean our opinions mean little to them or they are just too busy?

H0stZealot, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  13. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Has it not crossed your ignorant little mind that they don't agree with you and can also see you for the racist little bigot in denial that you so obviously are?
    Pointing out that someone is an ignorant racist is not worse than racism itself, shielding and standing up for a racist IS just as bad.

malky66, Jul 11, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  14. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    You showed yourself a a big pile of crap. Each consecutive post in this thread shows you as an even bigger moron. You keep on insulting me for no real reason, just because you consider yourself better than me without really knowing anything about me. Racism in its purest form.

DP admins have answered you or ContentMaestro neither. According to your stupid logic this means they care sh1t about your opinion too?

I think they are just too busy right now - but time will show who was right.

15. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't consider myself better than anyone, unlike you I believe everyone has the right to use this forum in the way it's intended, I called you out because you are a racist, you're the one calling for segregation of Indians, Don't try and deny what you have written, it's there for all to see.
    I'm standing up for the rights of others...hmm who's the racist here? certainly not me. Perhaps you should get yourself a dictionary and look up what it means because you not the sharpest tool in the box are you?
    "Pile of crap", "moron"...who's the one doing the insulting now then?:)

malky66, Jul 11, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  16. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Read the first 2 pages of this thread, maybe you will be able to understand the meaning of my post then. The biggest error of people like you is replying to the latest post without knowing the flow of the discussion. Joseph understood what I said. You could not. This is the difference.

Your energy and persistence are worth much better application.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A few truths here folks....

1. The Internet is a global marketplace.

2. People are desperate to make money.

3. The value of a dollar is not equal across the globe.

4. People, who live in countries where a dollar goes further, can afford to charge fewer dollars for their work.

5. Foolish buyers will continue to offer pennies for anything as long as it is words to fill a page. Attempts to educate them are generally a waste of time.

6. It is not racist to say that many of the people, who are providing low quality, spun, or even stolen content for pennies are from the country of India.

7. There are also people from India providing top-notch content but they are hard to find amongst the hordes that don't.

8. DP will never add a skills test or other criteria to the BST areas. The site owner has said so in response to earlier conversations.

9. This topic comes up all the time and nothing ever changes.

10. Every time this topic comes up it degrades into name-calling and charges of racism.

If someone has an idea for something better, I'm all ears.

In the meantime, how about everyone cool down and stop tearing each other down? It's not achieving anything.

YMC, Jul 11, 2014 IP
    H0stZealot likes this.
  18. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pure gold there, YMC. Sorry to hear nothing can be done with the situation, hopefully things will be better in time. As far as I see there is no need for me in further discussion on the topic. Thanks for expressing my point of view much better than I was able to.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  19. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliment H0stZealot. A university-level grammar test is really an awesome idea. However, I think that it will still be pretty tough for people who don't have English as their first language and are yet learning. There are many such writers who offer their services and depend heavily on the income they generate through it. A university-level grammar test will cut them off till they reach a certain level of proficiency. At any rate, what we can do is test people who want to join the Content section for their basic ability to construct meaningful, readable and grammatically correct sentences. Even this will help to a considerable extent to keep it clean. A university-level grammar test is something that should be made a must on forums or job boards that are dedicated exclusively to content sellers and buyers. Here the content section is just a small part of BST and marketplace. Just my view, no offense.

There are some more things we can do. Recently the pre-written content section has been revamped a lot which I am sure you are aware of. It's now the new 'Article Marketplace'. We have a quality scorer there which assesses uploaded content for quality before it's ready to be sold directly to buyers. Quality ratings really help them to decide which articles should be bought and which not. What we can do is implement the same interface in Content Creation (obviously with necessary modifications) and make it compulsory for writers to process every piece of content they are selling through it. Sale of content below a certain quality score should not be permitted. This can also substantially prevent the low-quality market from prevailing there. I am not sure how feasible all this would be and which or what technical hurdles would have to be overcome to make it practical, but even if we come up with something along similar lines, it would be a great step ahead. The sooner we implement something like this here, the quicker this forum is going to get rid of sub-par content.

Another idea is disallowing buyers who are not willing to pay a price. It's bloody simple. If you want quality, you gotta pay. I mean it'll really make anyone laugh when people reluctant to offer a single cent above a mere $2/3 for 500 words content post Buying gigs saying something like 'Looking for EXTREMELY talented writer', 'HIGH-QUALITY content needed' etc. etc. I will quote SCookAAM's words here in this reference.
    The cheap market is fed not only by writers charging ridiculously lower rates to get the better of their competitors but equally by people who buy and pay chintzily. Demands generate supplies. If we cut off the demand, how will the supply be there?

Content Maestro, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  20. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I might be relatively new here but I'm pretty sure I have a clear picture of why there just might be a lack of English writers on Digital Point. The following threads are just a very small sample of what I've seen lately. I check up on here a couple of times a week to see if there's any work that I might be interested in applying for.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/hiring-forum-posters.2726440/
    50 posts/20 topics on a subject that requires a lot of hands on experience to know what you're talking about
    The Payout: $5

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/need-2x-articles-on-bathroom-decor-for-10.2726081/
    1,000 words with the requirements (Must be great English and grammar)
    The Payout: $10

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/unique-web-internet-design-articles-infographics.2725629/
    A long list of requirements.
    The Payout: $5/600 Words

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/hiring-four-indian-writers-monthly-pay.2725576/
    I'm not even going to explain this one. A simple calculator and Google search shows how much that job pays compared to what the client is asking for.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/hiring-american-writer-american-only-paying-up-to-0-01-per-word.2725570/
    "Up to $1.00 per 100 words depending on the quality of the work."

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/blogging-finance-business-blog-writer-needed.2725549/
    $3 per 400 or 500 words.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that I've got a pretty good hunch at why there might be a lack of writers here that are willing to develop content that engages an audience and generates sales rather than just scribble out 500 words to get a quick PayPal payment. I'm sure some highly qualified writers lurk here but I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them applying for many of the opportunities here.

coreygeer, Jul 11, 2014 IP
    Joseph_F likes this.