1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best place to get forum moderators and Contributors for "Not yet" live fourm

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Blue Chummer, Jul 6, 2014.

Hi All.
    I am using Xenforo for a soon to be large saltwater fishing forum with a word press home page.
    Before I go Live with the forum in a few months(I am still working on refining a lot of things), I would like to get major contributors and moderators from all parts of the country/world with the same passion of saltwater fishing.

What would you do to advertise to get great contributors? What would you offer them for a new forum?

the goal is to get people from all over contributing and refining on the closed site for awhile before it goes live .

thank you!

Blue Chummer, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You need to start networking through social media I guess so that you have several good means to put the word out when you launch and because you already have rapport and credibility they'll be interested in your project.

Don't even talk about moderators at this point. Let people settle in and get used to the place and the right people to invite will soon become clear. If you ask them ahead of time then they'll either decline because they don't want to put their name to something untested and a work load they can't measure or accept because they think it'll build their own status. FWIW you don't want those guys.

sarahk, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If the site isn't online yet, you don't even need moderators. The best thing to do is hand pick your moderators from existing users once you have some.

digitalpoint, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  4. emvy548

emvy548 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No one likes to post in an empty forum. Hence you will have to make several usernames and start posting in your forum until you have a few hundred posts. You can also use paid services like Postloop and Paidforumposting so that you don't have to do it yourself.

After you have some content in your forum you can advertise through PPC including Facebook. When you advertise on Facebook make sure that you have a fanpage made first. While setting up a campaign you can target your niche and direct them to like your fanpage. Once you have enough likes you can announce the launch of your forum on your fanpage and offer a bonus for those who join your forum.

emvy548, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not so, if s/he builds a good online reputation and has genuine credibility his friends will pitch in and create the vital initial noise. I don't recall this forum starting with fake users!

sarahk, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  6. Blue Chummer

Blue Chummer Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply's guys.
    I don't want to do anything fake here on this particular Forum. I already have a "successful" facebook fan page with over 6000 genuine contributing likes- https://www.facebook.com/bluechummer

In my mind, the best way is to be genuine from the start and not take any short cuts what so ever. That is the route I would like to take on this. I guess I wont need moderators until after its Live so maybe I will advertise with google ads to find people from all parts of the country/world. I kind of need people who can be the "experts" for their region as far as saltwater fishing is concerned, Almost like reporters .

thanks

Blue Chummer, Jul 7, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The rule of thumb here is to go in stages. If you have legit followers you should be all set. I could go on for a week about how to launch this stuff but basically you want to start small and grow as you accumulate users. In this case that largely looks like starting with fewer categories so you dont have a huge empty board.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jul 7, 2014 IP