1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got penalised for not updating for 1 month?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by cartoonbabyboy, Jun 16, 2014.

A week ago my website dropped from Google and my traffic got slashed down to 25%. I did some searching and learnt that this may be due to me not updating the website for a month. I blame my busy university schedule.

I did a search on Google to see what was the latest page that got updated/crawled and it showed exactly 30 days from the day my traffic dropped. Could this be all related? If so, if I start to add content again - let's say once a week - how long will it take to recover? I was getting close to 600 unique a day.

cartoonbabyboy, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  2. cartoonbabyboy

cartoonbabyboy Active Member

Best Answers:
    And my site is fairly new. It was launched in Feb.

cartoonbabyboy, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  3. Farzana Akter Sanjana

Farzana Akter Sanjana Active Member

Best Answers:
    no one can say the time-frame for ranking. its totally depands on your ery good On-Page SEO and many high authority website backlinks like blog commenting.

Farzana Akter Sanjana, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  4. xXxpert

xXxpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    "blog commenting" seriously ?? :confused:
    I think its gone from SEO and considered spam now

xXxpert, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    Karuna17 likes this.
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Is the OP one of your competitors?

dcristo, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    rozerr and DiggitySEO like this.
  6. Farzana Akter Sanjana

Best Answers:
    No, not like that. i just love On-Page SEO and love normal Off-Page SEO maintaining google algorithm updates. for example: guest blogging are now in risk but good guest blogging is not in a risk. my point is, i am not going to spend my time on guest blogging as its not in my hand to understand that blog is good or not. i hate artifical SEO and blackhat. thanks

7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    But if you were keeping up to date with google algorithm updates you wouldn't be blog commenting for backlinks. Why do you think the nofollow tag was introduced? Due to the amount of blog comment spam.

dcristo, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  8. Farzana Akter Sanjana

Best Answers:
    my clients do love off-page SEO, thats why i suggest to go for low blog comments but possibly high PR. google now give importance to nofollow links and if i can comment in related topics and share something with that comment which may help the readers on that blog, then it will not be spam.

9. Farzana Akter Sanjana

Best Answers:
    what do you think? am i wrong? @dcristo

10. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks can include blog comments, but they should be mixed with other types of backlinks. Also you should have a mix of the anchor text, anything that looks like keyword stuffing will hurt.

RobinInTexas, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  11. mollie.fr

mollie.fr Active Member

Best Answers:
    IF you not regular update your website or blog then it is sure than by some margin your rank will go down. You competitor or some one else may not be like you stop doing the promotion or updation so they will rank higher. Twitter is having Rank 10 do you jknow why? bcz it has updation per second. You need to update your site at certain margin. Also Google never penzlyze for not updating rather it gradual that fresh content will rank higher, so not pdating you will lose. :oops:

mollie.fr, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  12. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    From what I have seen, on the 6th/7th alot of people have reported massive swings in their traffic, and rankings. I have seen alot of rumors, but nothing concrete, with people randomly guessing that maybe there was an update, but another person claims their traffic returned to the exact same level it was before the last update, with a few others saying the same, one guessed that maybe they "undid" the last google update-> but all this is just crazy retarded guesses.

Regarding doing more content to recover, I think just do what you want. Dont do articles "just to help improve rankings", as the next update might increase, or kill your traffic, its better if you just follow your passion and write articles because you want to, not because you "have to". When you invest alot of time into articles only for traffic that never comes, then it just kills you, but when its something your passionate about, then traffic or no traffic, your happy :)

You wont get much of a boost (if any at all) these days from blog comments, but if its no-follow then it wont hurt your site. If you have nothing better to do, then by all means, go for it.

If I was to use blog commenting, I would only post a URL if it relates 100% to the topic, this way to help gain direct users.

matt_62, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  13. elitesystem

elitesystem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blog commenting?? like seriously?? :D it really doesnt help now. Its obvious that most people who leave comments are desperate for links. Not all of them but most. Instead, focus on content marketing and build an audience.

elitesystem, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  14. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i have sites that I have not updated for years and they rank just fine. I think you have jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    geeeez you have posted some bullshit around here in the last few days! Care to explain all my sites that have not been updated in yrs that are still ranking just fine? You just making stuff up and posting it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Agent000, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    Karuna17 and ryan_uk like this.
  15. elitesystem

elitesystem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol true that mate. I have a blog, havent written for a month and several of my posts are still ranking. However, if you want more traffic, then post regularly. But never compromise your content quality. You rather not write some BS regularly than updating it once a month with some quality stuff. Write a lot of BS and your site will go down the drain. The common reason why most sites get penalized.

elitesystem, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  16. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I think you could related this due to not updating your website from a month. I think you are aware that Google Crawlers love new content ! And, no updating anything new over to your site for more than a month makes the crawler think "this site don't have anything interesting left" Why should I crawl ??? And this results in loss of the rankings now do one thing update something fresh over your site you may gain you ranking back.

John Dave, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  17. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you then could be the one that can then explain why several of my sites that have not been updated in years still rank just fine?

Agent000, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  18. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, its just because you might be dealing with a handful number of competitors.

John Dave, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  19. laicen

laicen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well i think not always it depends hor how much often you post content on your site. First of all depends of what is about your website, for sure if it's related news than you need to upload it daily. There can be more factors to this, probably you get some competitors to your keyword, and they just posted a cool content, and google loves fresh content. Or maybe you got some penalties..If you can show us your site probably we can see and understand what is going wrong.

laicen, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  20. Dharmik Rajput

Dharmik Rajput Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Website never be penalized for not updating site from 30 days or years, but as you found that it has been penalized then just check your Google webmaster tool where you can find the message from Google. And there is the reason why your site is in penalty, if there is a reason because of duplicate or low quality content then only you have to change the content other wise if the reason is unnatural links or else then you have to short it out and then you will be release from penalty.

Dharmik Rajput, Jun 17, 2014 IP