1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tried HostGator, BlueHost, JustHost....not happy yet....What WP Hosting would you suggest?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Fem, Jun 2, 2014.

Since 2007, we have tried different hosting providers including HostGator, JustHost, BlueHost etc, but not happy yet

We know Dedicated Server or VPS will do good, but we need a FASTER loading Shared hosting for WordPress

We have less than 5 sites hosted in it, and won't eat much of the bandwidth.

Please suggest from your EXPERIENCE

Fem, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  2. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    All shared hosting sucks for speed. That's the point of shared hosting: it's there as an introduction and to encourage people to upgrade if they're even a tiny bit serious about their sites. No provider is going to give you high-speed hosting for a couple of dollars a month.

If you're not happy with shared speed, you'll have to upgrade. Even the most basic VPS is ten times better. I know it's not the answer you wanted, but switching between shared hosting hosts isn't going to get you a noticeable improvement.

TIEro, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  3. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are right, and some affordable VPS are out there too, but they are NOT managed and I am not that good when it is about coding or managing control panel, familiar with cPanel though. Contacted HostGator and only their 3rd level VPS offers managed services:-(

Fem, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  4. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    It's a business planning decision: go for VPS, if you think your increased revenue from traffic will pay for better hosting, or at least if you plan to reach this level.
    If not, develop you sites on any of those shared guys -- the top ones you've named are, in fact, pretty much the same

Karuna17, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  5. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many page views per day do you get including bots? What is your budget? Have you looked at some business class shared hosting options?

Not true. My shared host is great for fast page load speeds because they do not overload the server. :)

Not true. Shared hosting is for sites that have relatively low traffic and relatively low resource usage. One Wordpress page view (without using caching) uses 100 - 200 times the server resources as serving one static HTML page. So if you are getting 5,000 page views per day on a CMS, you are hitting the upper limits of what shared hosting can do for you. Somebody with a small website with low page views does not need a VPS no matter how serious they are about their sites.

Not exactly true. No host is going to give you anything of value for a couple dollars per month. It costs money to operate a web server and provide support. The only way they can stay in business at very low hosting rates is to cram more customers on the server, which is overloading and often results in poor performance.

VPS is not always faster than shared hosting. In fact, VPS is sometimes slower than a good shared host (maybe a few thousandths to a few hundredths of a second slower) due to virtualization overhead, a limited number of CPU cores, limited RAM, etc. What VPS is for is for a larger number of visitors (page views) because whatever happens on your VPS instance generally does not negatively impact other customers, whereas on shared hosting it does. If you want to do 20,000 Wordpress page views a day, shared hosting may not be an option but a VPS can easily handle that and much more.

Original poster: You get what you pay for when it comes to web hosting. If you want performance (fast page loads), I would advise you to look for a fixed limit host instead of an "unlimited" host. There is no such thing as "unlimited" server resources. The problem is that some people will try to take advantage of it anyway and that can result in degraded server performance at times.

It would be impossible to recommend a host without first knowing your daily page views and budget. Every host you mentioned is an "unlimited" host. Look for a fixed limit host and odds are you will have better performance and faster page loads because there is no incentive for the customers sharing the server to consume all the resources and leave none for you.

billzo, Jun 3, 2014 IP
    ironcladservers likes this.
  6. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Before you get your new hosting make sure you have your WordPress sites as optimized for speed as possible. Look into your caching, the plugins you are using, optimize images, etc... I started using a solid state drive (SSD) shared hosting plan with A2 Hosting for my main site and have been very happy so far. Best of luck!

micksss, Jun 4, 2014 IP
  7. Grant3W

Grant3W Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you're looking for a shared host, I have had good experiences with both Site5 and Liquid Web. As for VPS hosting I was happy with Digital Ocean, I left however as managing a Linux server was not for me. With that being said they have a great community for support, and it's affordable.

Grant3W, Jun 5, 2014 IP
  8. Sammi Rose

Sammi Rose Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Softsys Hosting can be helpful to you with their Linux VPS or Windows Shared Hosting plans.

Sammi Rose, Jun 5, 2014 IP