1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to get into website making and or blogging

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Lego B, May 17, 2014.

I want to start making a website or blog.

Blogging I am a bit familiar with. I tried blogging on Blogger and WordPress for free, but I've virtually abandoned them and would like to start over. The disadvantages were that WordPress didn't allow ads, and blogger didn't look professional enough. Actually, I am willing to continue blogging on Blogger but the format is limited. You only get to make so many pages for instance.

I am going to learn how to make a website, but the disadvantages with that would be that websites cost money and you have to worry about bandwidth, so that the more the traffic is, the more you have to pay. I guess some people insist on making their own website because a blogger with the "Blogspot" in the address makes it look unprofessional.

I am not sure what to do. Should I start blogging with Blogger? Disadvantage of that be all the all the blog post would be all over the place that would be hard to have a table of contents or site map. Also one thing I noticed about Blogger is that if you label a post, the posts appear in its full form so that if your posts are long, if the reader clicks on "label" they are faced with a massive page of so many posts. I would want them to be able to only see the titles and a bit of the contents when they click label.

And learning about how to make a website... I've heard about having to learn HTML and Dreamweaver, and also WordPress (paid version) making it much more easier to make a website. How long does it take to learn 'em?

One thing I was thinking of was, I could start posting on a blogspot, build some traffic and earn money from Ads, and then when I do learn everything I need about making a website that looks like what I want it to look like, I could move the contents and delete or unpublish the original contents of blogspot. But in that case, wouldn't Google think that I plagiarized my original blogspot? So should I just really wait until I can learn how to make a website until I post my ideas?

Also, another thing is, I was thinking of putting all my ideas, research, insights, into one website / blog, or separating different topics by different blogs or websites. By putting everything I have to offer on one domain or one blog, it might look more clotted with all those different topics treated, but at least traffic is focused to one place so that it would be easier to build traffic. What do you think is the best way?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Lego B, May 17, 2014 IP
  2. Thomas Owen

Thomas Owen Active Member

Best Answers:
    My advice would be, set up your own blog. Forget blogger, wordpress.com. Instead get your own domain, a few dollars with a coupon from godaddy, in fact 199scott at godaddy will get you a .com domain for $1.99 for the month of May. Then get yourself some hosting. Hostgator, bluehost, D9, GVO. All decent enough and reasonably priced. You can get for $4/5 per month.

Install wordpress (easy), and boom, you got your own blog! You have control of what ads are place, what content stays on etc. Plus you can start building your email list (Priority)!!!

Domain - $1.99
    Hosting - $5 p/m
    Autoresponder (optional but recommended) - $20 p/m

If you start driving traffic to your blogger site, its going to be a bit of a waste of time if you are eventually going to move to your own blog right?

Thomas Owen, May 17, 2014 IP
  3. Lego B

Lego B Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Mr. Owen. $5 per month doesn't seem much. Only $60 per year.
    Is the domain $2 per month?

Do you have your own blog or website you could show me?

By the way can you make the WordPress more like a website (very organized) rather than a blog which to me seems kind of disorganized?

Lego B, May 17, 2014 IP
  4. Thomas Owen

Best Answers:
    Nope, domain is $1.99 for the year, using the coupon code 199scott at godaddy. The thing with using free sites like wordpress.com, blogger, weebly is that you dont have control of what can go on your blog/site. They can take anything down at any time. My own blog is at http://thomasowenonline.com You're welcome to take a look and ask any questions if you have any.

5. Lego B

Lego B Peon

Best Answers:
    I really doubt they will take it off, as they are a big company. I guess one advantage to something like Blogger is that you can choose to rename your blog address if you choose to, while I guess that would be hard for your own.

Lego B, May 17, 2014 IP
  6. Thomas Owen

Best Answers:
    You would be surprised at some of the reasons why people have lost their free blog sites from the likes of blogger, wordpress.com etc. You are limited to what ads you can display, if any at all. If they dont like the type of ad your promoting then they will take it down, or even worse shut your site down (which has happened). I prefer my own site for a few reasons, I have more control of what goes on my site, and my own domain looks better than myblog.blogger.com or whatever it is, just a sub domain.

micksss likes this.
  7. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thomas has this right Lego B. If you are serious about this get a domain name and go with a self hosted WordPress installation.

micksss, May 30, 2014 IP
  8. Lego B

Lego B Peon

Best Answers:
    What if you want to make a text-book type of website where you talk about everything of your interest each categorized and new pages and sub-pages added in, instead of being in a form of a blog.

I think blog is really disorganized and hard to navigate except in reverse chronological order and I would like to have my website to be extremely well organized.

What kind of ads do they not like?

By the way how do you concentrate all your topics at one site but also make it so that each topic looks like its own website. That way you can concentrate the traffic into one place which boosts the traffic even more, than if you created separate website for each topic you want to write about?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
    Lego B, May 31, 2014 IP
  9. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

That's the thing - the times when WordPress was just a blogging application are long gone. It has built up to be a fully grown CMS and with the right plugins and theme you can make it look as whatever site you want - you can turn it into a news website, forum, online shop, a portfolio gallery website, you name it... And as you have already used the free version you would find it even easier to learn, the differences are not so major at all. Like others, I would certainly recommend it before Blogger, Blogspot and such free options full of restrictions. And because you mentioned the option to change addresses - why would you need that at all with your own personal blog. Your personal blog serves like brands serve a business - you want to be seen and more importantly, remembered! Having your own catchy name and making your visitors remember it is hard by itself so imagine if your readers would have to remember a new name every couple of weeks ;)

Rado_ch, May 31, 2014 IP
  10. Basenix Group LLC

Basenix Group LLC Peon

Best Answers:
    My advise is to make a blog on a topic you like. If you want money but with less work long term (Passive money) i wiould suggest you to check Microniche Sites with AdSense

Basenix Group LLC, May 31, 2014 IP
  11. Lego B

Lego B Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is, I might come up with a better domain name down the line and if I already chose one, then it would be a hassle to change it...

Lego B, Jun 15, 2014 IP
  12. Lego B

Lego B Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, how do I figure out which email address or which username I used to create an account here? I have it logged into one computer that I use frequently, but I don't know the username (or is it Lego B? Or something else?), so I can't come to this thread often.

Lego B, Jun 15, 2014 IP
  13. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, not really. Should you need, there are ways to change the domain and with 301 redirects you will be sure to keep everything mostly in tact. Still, as WordPress is domain-dependent you might have to do some extra reconfigurations like paths, htaccess rules etc. Not the most effortless thing in the world, but no so complex either. Still, my advice to carefully choose a domain and stick with it would remain the same ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  14. Pradeep Khodke

Pradeep Khodke Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    blogging and making websites are two different things, blogging is that where you can share your knowledge about what you know well from others, apart from this you can also learn Web Developing and SEO skills to share on blog which you can create easily by using WordPress, WordPress considered as the no 1 platform for blogging. you can also make money by blogging. and when it comes to website making you should be good in programming languages like php and others, there are ton's of tutorials are available on the web which you can use to boost up your programming skills then you can start your website making business. http://www.wpbeginner.com/ is the best source for beginners to getting started with WordPress and to host your WordPress Blog you will need Hosting Provider, BlueHost is the recommended WordPress Provider here you can grab BlueHost Coupon to save bucks on Hosting
    https://www.couponshive.com/store/bluehost/

Pradeep Khodke, May 14, 2017 IP