1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to determine my exact target market?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Domoner, May 23, 2014.

I created a digital fitness product, and have a good idea of the gender and rough age group that it would appeal to but how do I ensure this is correct and really get detailed demographics for my target market?
    I can't talk to everyone and ask if they are within the age group for this product and "by the way how much do you earn" to get an idea of the income class I should be targeting. Also, it's very hard to get people to take online surveys.

Any advice? Thanks.

P.S. People are saying "read reports" but where are these reports and how can they help?

Domoner, May 23, 2014 IP
  2. BenQ

BenQ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try Quantcast dot com for demographic info of similar products.

BenQ, May 23, 2014 IP
  3. novashun

novashun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should go into Facebook and set up a advertising campaign and you can get some demographics there without running it / paying for it. Figure out how many people "liked" fitness, etc... When it returns the total number, you can uncheck things like male or female, college or no college, etc.. It will return a number. You can also target United States or the world. Don't dig too far into the weeds about financials of your customers, make a general assumption and go from there. So what if they make 35K or 50K a year - if you are just starting out you get your product made for X, it sells for X regardless of what they make. They are either going to buy it or not. In this stage of your business you figure out things like what technology do they use, what they do on social sites, figure out a better way to target - annual salaries is very WIDE scope wise.

novashun, May 23, 2014 IP
  4. John Fisihetau

John Fisihetau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would let people use the product and in return conduct a one minute survey via Google forms for them to fill out before or after testing the product. You could condition the salary question by putting it into a range scenario (i.e. $30,000 - $35,000). They would get to try the product, as their incentive to take the short survey.

John Fisihetau, May 27, 2014 IP
  5. Sabrina73

Sabrina73 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've received some great advice here! I just want to add to that to get you thinking...

You probably created the product out of need (unless you bought the idea from someone else). When you created the product, who did you think about using it? Is it people like you? Friends, family, customers? You can have a primary market, the person you envisioned using the product when you thought of the idea. And then, you can have a secondary market, the person(s) who will use the product as well, but they are not your first choice.

You probably don't have the budget to conduct market research on a level to run with the big dogs, but you know who can be a great resource? Friends. Think about a person who you know that is smart and you trust their advice. Also, ask a person who you feel is your target market what they think. By the fact you didn't share a lot of details here, I take it that it's "top secret."

You have to start somewhere. Also, you can tweak any campaign, so where you start is not necessarily where you will end up. For example, take Marlboro cigarettes (sold in the U.S.): Most people don't know that these cigarettes were first targeted to women (imagine that!). Then later, came the "John Wayne Cowboy" type of man. But that wasn't until later.

Good luck to you!

Sabrina73, May 28, 2014 IP
  6. chase_buie

chase_buie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for posting this reply. I was able to grasp some principles and questions that i never really had thought of before. It is true you do have to start somewhere. Its stepping into the unknown where we will find success or failure.

chase_buie, May 30, 2014 IP
  7. janinaherz

janinaherz Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can think of organizing a FREE CAMP camp kinds of thing.
    Here you can invite people, teach them the benefits of your product or service, followed by lunch or dinner and finally ask them to fill a questionnaire. In this you can put the question which are really helpful to you.
    Try this, you'll get some success.

janinaherz, Jun 30, 2014 IP
  8. David Tile

David Tile Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would add that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, er demographic. If you have a general idea of your demo then test the waters, but also be open to appealing to other demos.

David Tile, Jun 30, 2014 IP