1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Still using e-mail?!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joshie, May 21, 2014.

On Facebook I have made a wall post asking a question for all of my friends and family to answer as I was curious. The question I asked was "Do you still use e-mail?" and I have received several "no" answers.

Of course I was expecting many of answers to be a no because ever since the text messaging and especially many of apps for messaging services has became very popular nowadays, that literally overshadowed e-mail which I am a bit disappointed because e-mail is still important to this day at least in my opinion.I still use e-mail and when someone asks me to text them and I told them to e-mail me.

Sure text messaging is great, but what everyone needs to remember is that there is many of features isn't in text messaging that are in e-mail and beside e-mail can be used everywhere and not text messaging service because you would have to have a cell phone number to text while e-mail have a address that can be sent anywhere even internationally at no cost and sending text message to anyone that's oversea costs some money.

Anyway, I am wondering if some of you still use e-mail? And do you think that text messaging is overshadowing e-mail now? Share your opinion or even rants about e-mail vs text messaging, go!

Joshie, May 21, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It's a combination of text messaging, facebook emailing and chatting, linkedin messaging, forum messaging, etc. that overshadows regular emailing. I really don't remember when I last used my yahoo email account to email someone. Reg. emailing is probably still used for business purposes (applying for a job for instance or customer support), but other than that I think it's a dying bread.

qwikad.com, May 21, 2014 IP
  3. xXxpert

xXxpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yup i use Gmail for sending and receiving emails on daily bases. However social media is now popular in sharing files, text and videos but we cannot ignore the importance of E-Mails

xXxpert, May 21, 2014 IP
  4. areebmajeed

areebmajeed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Emails are very important, you really can't ignore the importance of email accounts.

areebmajeed, May 21, 2014 IP
  5. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keeping in touch with friends I only use IM, but for work-related stuff 90% email, 10% IM.

SliceOfLife, May 21, 2014 IP
  6. FTS!

FTS! Member

Best Answers:
    I still use email daily, however I prefer instant messengers.

FTS!, May 21, 2014 IP
  7. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure thing, even if I am not getting important messages from it I still check on it every single day. I still find it important and different from social networking site or any communication tools. I guess email for me is for more important communication like business.

Patricia Ann Lee, May 21, 2014 IP
  8. Cloudcandy Host

Cloudcandy Host Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i do use emails for business and work purposes.

Cloudcandy Host, May 21, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You have control over email that you just don't get by text message or social media.

I use gmail and streak and it lets me group emails by subject. In email I can include more than one and we can have group replies etc that just isn't practical in other media - bearing in mind that most of my contacts are non-tech people for whom skype is a stretch. iMessage is good but it requires users to be a) iphone users and b) have it turned on - and not all of my iphone friends use it.

sarahk, May 21, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. coolpavan

coolpavan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well email isn't used for personal communication nowadays
    but for formal communication or business related communication its still leading
    email is the perfect way to communicate for business deal
    so that other person replies at his own time and space

coolpavan, May 21, 2014 IP
  11. ETA

ETA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Email 90% of time, other is social media etc

ETA, May 22, 2014 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    As a sales and marketing guy, I think that email remains the power app for business. The exchange of detailed information between the seller and the buyer is done 90% via email and will continue this way for the foreseeable future. Product literature, contracts, quotes, etc., etc., are all sent as email attachments. Emailed Calendar invites (via Outlook) are the way to ensure that appointments are made and kept. My sales teams use email more than the phone or physical visits by a wide margin. Texting is for personal communication and is not really used by businesspeople, for the most part, in my experience.

jrbiz, May 22, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  13. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While that I do agree that the e-mail is great for business and the e-mail has always been a important part for business and still is today but I cannot see why anyone wouldn't use the e-mail for social? I do often, even my mother more than anything and she texts a lot but if someone text her saying that they want to text her picture or a video, or something then she would tell them to "e-mail me" even though she can get picture or video through text messaging.

Before text messaging and a such everyone had to rely on e-mail to socialize but since text messaging was born, they forgot e-mail still exists. Some of the people would ask me "E-mail still exists today?". I can understand that text messaging is important and it's great way of keeping in touch and getting information as I use text messaging too, more than anything but if someone and I need to talk about important things I would always tell them to e-mail me because so I can save the e-mail and be able to read them anywhere that you cannot do in text messaging.

Another thing I think the reason that people starting to dislike e-mail and use text messaging instead is because there has been too many spams lately but I would imagine if text messaging gets as much as spams as the e-mail does then they may start using e-mail again because through the e-mail you have the ability to block the person that sends spam e-mail.

Joshie, May 22, 2014 IP
  14. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I bet all of those friends who said no use facebook messaging routinely, which is essentially email, so their answer should have been yes.

I no longer text or use apps. Once I found out that my carrier (Verizon) and the O/S (Google) were both spying on me for the government, I lost the desire to use either of their services. I ditched them entirely and have found that my productivity actually increased substantially following that decision.

To me, email is still my preferred method of communication and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I can type faster on my computer, I have better firewall security and I generally have better control over the hardware. From a privacy and security stand point, it's the only way to go.

Foxxy, May 22, 2014 IP
    jrbiz and Joshie like this.
  15. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Of the two, I prefer email. Texting is more immediate - I don't want to be on-call 24/7. 85% of the time I don't even answer my phone. I value my privacy, and don't enjoy having too many distractions.

Rebecca, May 22, 2014 IP
  16. mediahost

mediahost Active Member

Best Answers:
    I always use email for everything regarding work. Typically, I don't need to respond quickly to a message so I have the luxury of using strictly email for work. However, when I want to talk with friends, I will text, facebook message, or snapchat.

mediahost, May 23, 2014 IP
  17. seoxpertz

seoxpertz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can get in touch easily with the friends and family with the help of an email. Today with the chat option enabled with the various email service providers you can very easily get connected with the friends and family. You can contact anyone regarding business or pleasure. The most important advantage of the email is that it is absolutely free.

seoxpertz, Sep 10, 2014 IP
  18. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I make it a point to at least use the phone, I rather avoid using email, instant messenging etc as I feel that such forms of communications is good only for extremely short messages. Nothing beats a face to face meeting.

wisdomtool, Sep 10, 2014 IP
  19. mrgadget

mrgadget Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you received "No" answer? Really?? I wonder how these people work without an email. LOL

mrgadget, Sep 10, 2014 IP
  20. lofuji

lofuji Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is by me. I live in Hong Kong, but most of my family and close friends are in either the UK or Australia, and I find email to be the most personal way of keeping in touch.
    As someone who grew up at a time when the only way to communicate cheaply over long distances was by letter, I consider email to be the modern equivalent. Many of my outgoing emails are of a similar length to those old letters.

lofuji, Mar 14, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.