1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I Want $15/hr For Flipping Burgers!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dscurlock, May 21, 2014.

Nice...Get an education, then maybe earn $15/hr some place else.
    Fast food is supposed to be a stepping stone, or just passing through...
    It was never meant for you to sustain yourself long term or forever.

You do not have to be smart to work in fast food, you just have to be
    fast; Even though some may think they are good at what they do, but
    none-the-less, fast food is a labor job, not a job of high skill.

...and these workers are not very smart; Even though some of they fast
    food companies have great wealth, they did not get this wealth for paying
    high wages for labor type work, and if fast food started paying out $15/hr
    then be a big disruption to the economy, and negative results follow....

1: Fewer stores built
    2: Layoffs to make up the difference.
    3: Higher work load, if you think it is tough now, what will they expect
    from you if they have to pay you $15/hr for for flipping burgers or whatever?
    4: food prices increased...
    5: people eat out less, or change their habits.

I simply do not see anything good to come out of this....

If you want $15/hr then get an education, then move on....
    Do not use fast food as a crutch because you cant or
    not able to move onto something better, and it is not the
    fault of fast food industry because you get stuck, and now you
    are wanting like a $4-$6 per hour raise over night....

What are your thoughts, good or bad...

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    dscurlock, May 21, 2014 IP
  2. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I solemnly doubt that they would pay fast food employees $15 an hour. Just trying to run a restaurant is tough, then the employees try to jump down your throat with demands for higher wages makes it even harder.

Although raising the minimum wage to $15 dollars an hour will not solve the problem. It will only make $15 dollars an hour an unlivable wage just like $7.25 an hour.

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh, May 21, 2014 IP
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can go to any skilled job, and find $15/hr jobs....
    and they actually have skill that i can say they earn $15/hr...
    Can you imagine that skilled worker now saying...
    I quit, I want to work fast food @ $15/hr because it is easier for me...

Even though I do not think they should give them $15/hr, but at the same
    time companies just do not keep up with regular wages, and they do not
    give wage increases on a regular basis or time frame...

and if you look up wage history of our federal govt...you can
    clearly see wage hikes do not come often, and there are plenty
    of gaps (in years) that the govt does increase wages...

The govt needs to provide something more fair, rather then
    keeping wages in the dirt cheap range forever, and that is what they
    are doing, so govt and private are responsible keeping wages dirt cheap.

4. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

Best Answers:
    Well the big corporations tend to fund candidates for presidency, and for the senate and house of reps. If the congressmen or the president decide to get out of line and raise wages that means that they lose a big chunk of there campaign funds. Also the big corporations like to use scare tactics on there employees to prevent them from voting for a candidate that has there interests in mind.

I think the documentary "The Men Who Built America" was the best example of how our country is run by big business.

5. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    and why the us govt sponsors terrorist rebuilding, or bribing counties to be our friends
    is beyond me when there are so many in the us hungry and looking for work.....
    Why do we still have bases in countries that used to be our enemies, but now are friends....
    We can talk about wasteful spending all day that could be used to put people to work.

but you are right govt has always favored big business....
    the govt does not work for the people, just themselves, and the rich...

6. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

Best Answers:
    The way I see it is that this form of government is much better than the others that have been tried such as communism, monarchy, and worst of all nepotism.

7. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    The less of multiple evils is still evil, but I guess you go with the least evil....
    Beneath the mask of freedom is slavery, and the powerful controlling the slaves.
    The people are nothing more then slaves to the govt, and the rich that have power.

8. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

Best Answers:
    Well is it really all that bad? I mean its not like were all living in huts with no electricity or proper plumbing.

9. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You make a lot of broad sweeping generalizations about fast food workers. You must not have been in the work force for very long. I've seen people with college degrees working fast food just because there were no other jobs available. For you to believe that anyone working fast food is either stupid or lazy just shows an incredible amount of ignorance on your part.

Plus, if you take the time to do the math, at 40/hrs per week, after taxes, $15/hr still has you teetering on the poverty line. So essentially what you're saying is that you feel that people should accept being in poverty just because you don't think the work they do justifies the wage. What qualifies you to make that determination?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Foxxy, May 21, 2014 IP
    jrbiz, averyz and TIEro like this.
  10. coolpavan

coolpavan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in which country does they pay 15$ an hour just for flipping burgers ?

coolpavan, May 21, 2014 IP
  11. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is what they pay in North Dakota, but only because the economy demands it. There are plenty of jobs there and no one will consider fast food unless it pays good. In Nevada they start at $10/hour, but I think for most of the country it is a minimum wage job.

I had assumed that what the OP was really taking a stance on was a minimum wage increase. People who listen to hyperbole rather than fact tend to make claims about how the raise in salary will result in the rise in prices for everything else, but this has proven to be wrong time after time.

Foxxy, May 22, 2014 IP
  12. coolpavan

Best Answers:
    wow thats amazing
    I will start practicing while my visa application is in process :)

coolpavan, May 22, 2014 IP
  13. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $15 X $40 = $600 – 25% taxes you would probably bring home around $450 a week. In the most US cities a 1 bedroom apartment in the ghetto is around $600-$1000 a month not including utilities.

So you should make enough to live in a dark mold infested box in a crime ridden neighborhood and ride a used 12speed bicycle. But don't worry many fast food places will give you a 30% discount on the food if you work there, so you can probably afford to eat at work a couple of meals a week. lol

averyz, May 22, 2014 IP
    coolpavan likes this.
  14. coolpavan

Best Answers:
    lol @ couple of meals a week

but on a serious note
    what will be the living cost in us if
    I want to rent a room or if i am willing to share a room with someone ( not in a ghetto ) including basic essential utilities and have few meals per week

coolpavan, May 22, 2014 IP
  15. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the city you live in, here in Denver Colorado cost of housing is probably medium to low you could probably find a roommate situation in a decent neighborhood for around $600 a month. A major city like LA or NYC is probably close to double that to be in a decent neighborhood. Craigslist is probably a good resource to check out different cities.

Not sure what someone would charge you for meals ? A sit down restaurant of average quality is usually about $8-$12 a meal without drink and the wait staff are paid so low($2.25 an hr) the custom is to tip them 15%-20% the amount of the meal. Most fast food places are about $6-$7 to get a meal package.

averyz, May 22, 2014 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Note that flipping burgers is not meant to be a career for a head of household. Low wage, "stepping stone" jobs like that serve several good purposes, including part-time "mom" jobs for a little extra family income, entry level jobs for those with no experience, supplemental income for retirees, etc. An economy needs a wide range of jobs and pay levels to allow for easy entry into the workforce, different levels of skill or experience, and, of course, an incentive to work hard to get ahead in one's career.

jrbiz, May 22, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  17. coolpavan

Best Answers:
    2.25$ per hour ?
    i thought 10$ - 15$ per hour was the minimum wage

and do we get veg food over there or its just non veg all the time ?

coolpavan, May 23, 2014 IP
  18. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    The minimum wage for jobs that receive tips has been under $3 for decades. That's why servers in restaurants get upset about people not tipping.

Foxxy, May 23, 2014 IP
  19. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    “Minimum wage” in the US has had exemptions put into it for restaurants and agriculture. They are both under $3. an hour. In the US all of our laws are made/bought by politicians and law makers working for industries.
    When an industry needs to boost profit they usually take it from the workers. Then they create a bunch of propaganda to spread a crossed the corporate owned media of why workers do not need more money and how more money for the working population is bad.

A huge percentage of minimum wage workers receive government and state assistance(food stamps and welfare) just to survive. Many of these are working for large publicly traded corporations that make billions in profit every year. So we as tax payers have to supplement their labor costs just so they can create more billions in profit.

It is a broken system that has been corrupted to a point of no return.

You can get veg food, most of the US is too cold to grow veggies much of the year so our traditional diet has a lot of meat. But in the modern age of trucks and planes you can find fresh veggies all year around. It also depends on where you are in the south you will find much more vegetables and fruits at a much lower cost.

averyz, May 23, 2014 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    At some places, you could be flipping veggie burgers! I did not realize that servers made less than $3 per hour, though I knew they were paid less than minimum wage. What is of concern to me is that you are always reading stories about food-based employers playing games with tips (keeping some of it, or pooling them and paying them equally to all, no matter who brings in the most tips, etc.) I think that the server should be able to keep all of his/her tips as were paid to them (after taxes, of course.) I always pay 20-25% (even at buffets) and try to pay cash tips even if paying the bill by credit card. But that is mostly because I want their best behavior/service the next time I come around.

jrbiz, May 23, 2014 IP