1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to remove bad in-links?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by yhbae01, May 15, 2014.

I purchased a website a while back and just today, realized that it has some (many actually) bad links pointing back to my site which has caused Google to flag my site as a web spam. Obviously this has affected the traffic volume as well. Looking at the list, it would be impossible to remove most of them since I don't have any control over those accounts that were used to post these links at various sites.

Given this, what is the best way to handle this? If I change the domain name and let search engines know of my move, would it help the situation?

yhbae01, May 15, 2014 IP
  2. rozerr

rozerr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Disavow all bad links is an option to deal with this issue. Can't say 100% but can help to remove the links at some extent.

Apart from this you should also build some good links to dilute the effect of bad back-links.

rozerr, May 16, 2014 IP
  3. Krunal Patel

Krunal Patel Member

Best Answers:
    Before Using the Disavow Tool
    You should not use the disavow links tool unless you are absolutely sure that the links are negative. Even Google says warns you when you use the tool:

You have to understand that it is not an easy job. Determining the quality of the site and the links, that is why you must research well and at least get a rough understanding of the quality of the site before taking the call.

Secondly, don’t think of the disavow tool as a shortcut to repairing your link profile. There is a possibility, as Google says, that the tool doesn’t come with a 100 percent guarantee to get links removed.

Thirdly, you should not disavow an entire domain until and unless you are completely sure that every single link is useless. They may have old links from reputed sites which may work good for you. So, the bottom line is to research thoroughly before finally sending off the links.

Krunal Patel, May 16, 2014 IP
  4. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, your situation's a wide-spread problem. many over-SEOed domains were put to sale after last Google algorithm updates.
    Building new good links is very important.
    Some companies even hire special managers to contact the bad-linking domains and persuading administrators (sometimes even financially) to delete them. That's a hell's amount of work.
    Disavow is good, but personal contact with badlinkers and new quality link building is also very important -- Google appreciates fresh quaility links, especially if your new site's niche will be at least slightly different than the previous site on this domain. Time plays for you, so start with couple really good links!

Karuna17, May 16, 2014 IP
  5. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, for you I think going for the link removal process is better rather than changing the domain name. Goto your Google Webmaster Tool and download all the backlinks start going through them i.e. one at a time manually and the one looks spammy take it down first by contacting the owner of that website and if you still can't take those down then use your disavow tool to disavow it, once the all the link removal process from your site completes submit a reconsideration request to the Google with the proof of the work you have done, if they feel that you have put a lot of efforts in cleaning your profile your penalty is going to be revoked. From my side all the best for the link removal process. :)

John Dave, May 16, 2014 IP
  6. JithinC

JithinC Member

Best Answers:
    Disavow the links, your problem may be solved.. ahh wait a sec, probably solved in three month or four...
    Contact the web masters through mail, social media, forums, or how ever you can. And ask them to remove those links. be polite while doing so, because they never asked you to put back links in their sites, and they may be not in great mood to do all these deletion job for you. Believe me, i have done these before, it works ...
    All the best..

JithinC, May 16, 2014 IP
  7. yhbae01

yhbae01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosity, what happens if you change the domain name? Do in-links (good & bad) also follow to the new domain name?

yhbae01, May 16, 2014 IP
  8. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did the same as "john" is saying i separated all the bad links, spammy links and the links for reconsideration. Then i removed all the links with low PR and the links which are not related to my site.I have removed about 3000 links but still there are some links which are working??

TDI-MAD, May 17, 2014 IP
  9. webahead

webahead Member

Best Answers:
    You can disallow the badlinks and ask them to remove them
    second method is that you can contact the administrator of that particular website and request it to remove the backlink from its website which has been shared.

webahead, May 17, 2014 IP
  10. PraveenaM

PraveenaM Banned

Best Answers:
    That said, what do webmasters complete now? If your website has become affected, most likely it’s on account of low-quality backlinks pointing into it. So, you should have a close look at ones link profile and pot out any “unnatural” backlink the truth is there.

PraveenaM, May 17, 2014 IP
  11. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the links which you think is still working you can use your disavow tool for those backlinks. Once you disavow those links submit a reconsideration request to the Google. If everything is on the proper place than your manual penalty is going to be revoked.

John Dave, May 18, 2014 IP
  12. Dharmik Rajput

Dharmik Rajput Greenhorn

Best Answers:

I would like to suggest you that just try to remove those bad links as much as you can. Try to contact the site admins on which you found bad links and try to remove links. The second thing is to take a snapshot of all those mails and contact us form which you have sent them. And remember to do all these activities on Google Drive not in local spread sheet. After doing this the links which you cannot remove and the site admin's has not replied to you put them in disavow tool. At the end of all these activity send a reconsideration request mail to Google and mention about it.

And for the second query that if you moved on to another domain then it is OK. Google has flagged your current domain not the new one.

Dharmik Rajput, May 18, 2014 IP
  13. mangleded

mangleded Peon

Best Answers:
    mangleded, May 19, 2014 IP
  14. incomeobstacle

incomeobstacle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can contact the owners of these websites and ask them to remove your link. If your attempts yield no result, then you can disavow the links.

The reason you have to contact the site owner first is because links disavow is a very advance technique and should be used only when you know it's implications.

Anyway, to disavow the links, you can do it from google search console. However, make sure you disavow only the links that are harming your rankings.

All the best.

incomeobstacle, Oct 19, 2018 IP
  15. sigen

sigen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The thing is that usually such links are placed on abandoned and stuffed with spam websites, so no one will ever answer your request to remove it.

sigen, Oct 22, 2018 IP