1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's gone too Far

Discussion in 'Google' started by rockgjmom, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have started this petition http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/803/916/407/ and would really appreciate it if you would sign on -- it is not fair for Google to have a hidden set of rules. Google has become too big and control so much of the Internet it is time we join together and take some control back.

FamiliesOnlineMagazine.com has been online since 2003, we have not violated any Google rules but they have hit us with a "thin content" penalty. We have over 20,000 pages of quality content written by doctors, teachers, family therapist, nutritionists, etc. We have asked them what rule we broke and only get a form letter in reply to our reconsideration request. We tried calling Google headquarters only to get put on hold and then hung up on.

Thanks for reading this. if you have problem I would like to hear about it so we can help each other, pleasePM me.

rockgjmom, May 8, 2014 IP
  2. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, sorry you got hit hard by a Google update. Unfortunately it's happened to many, many site owners.

danasurvey, May 8, 2014 IP
  3. Matthew2D

Matthew2D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haven't heard of Google doing anything like this, doesn't sound right.

Matthew2D, May 8, 2014 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I can appreciate your angst over this and hope you get the irony of a parenting site squealing that something isn't fair
    If you put yourself in Google's position they can't make the "rules" open and transparent otherwise all the people who own crappy sites for the sole purpose of earning a buck from advertising or selling earning affiliate or dropship commissions will work out a way to exploit those rules while the guys who are focussed on their business and creating great content (which is where you'd place yourself, I'm guessing) get trampled on yet again.

sarahk, May 8, 2014 IP
    Karuna17 likes this.
  5. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the craziest statement I've ever seen :eek:
    Do you think Google will reveal their set of metrics on how they rank the websites :mad:
    You need to have a depth learning on how these search engine behaves ;)

KylieSweet, May 8, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Something doesn't sound right here. What exactly did they say in reply to your reconsideration request? I have not seen them use the words "thin content" in connection to a manual penalty. Can you post the email they sent you.

Agent000, May 8, 2014 IP
  7. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how did you get to know about the thin content penalty?

joshuthomas, May 8, 2014 IP
  8. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    petertdavis, May 8, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Good catch Peter

I read http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/parenting/dad-sense/101-racing-live.html and thought it was written by the admin. It was posted on 23/4/2014 but I found the same article at http://www.brucesallan.com/2010/05/06/my-13-year-old-qknow-it-allq/ posted on, I'm guessing, 6/5/2010 (d/m/y)

I made the mistake of thinking that those people were writing unique material for your site, not just reposting old material.

Duplicate content is getting hit hard, as it should be, and the first site should, IMO, get priority even if the site is smaller than the dupe site.

BTW why does a story with a title "My 13-Year-Old "Know-It-All" have a slug "101 racing live"?

sarahk, May 8, 2014 IP
    matt_62, GFX2, ryan_uk and 1 other person like this.
  10. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @rockgjmom
    I'd say do not take it so seriously, but I know you cannot do so
    Surely, copied content wont take you far away and it never did in most cases (especially during last decade).
    But, still you do have a point there - they have gone too far!

My personal opinion is just the obvious, shared many times here on DigitalPoint forums - they are just after their stock pricing, hence after their major income(adwords), hence mixing very large companies' sites with some totally shitty results on 1st page (in order not to look so obvious, I mean as they call it "natural") so that they can try to force more small guys use their stupid ads!
    I can give you many examples, but guess anyone into online business will be able to obtain them him/herself on own...

So, while there is almost no competition anymore in the SE industry and this shitty(again!), search engine holds the monopoly, the only thing I would advise you is to think off some other marketing channels/traffic sources.
    I did not have a look at your site, but in any case you should keep your content unique & upto date - at least for your visitors, no matter where they come from. This will keep 'em returning if they find what they are looking for!

That became way too long, so just for a finish FUCK GOOGLE & their artificially manipulated results!

abraxas, May 8, 2014 IP
  11. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's funny about Google's "thin content penalty" is that it does not apply to sites that Google owns. For example, Google is part owner of RetailMeNot which has very little content of any kind. Google ranks that site high.

billzo, May 8, 2014 IP
  12. abraxas

Best Answers:
    That's another good point lol :)
    Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but.... I will not mention the exact site, but while researching some info for a client's site for very, I mean very small/unknown attractions around my hometown(search query not in English), it gave me like 7 or 8 results (in EN) of the same very large travel site + few(2-3) adwords ads on 1st page for same site lol.
    It's fuckin' ridiculous... The other few were another very large site(an affiliate of mine) + one shitty site....
    Anyway, none of the above had anything related to my search query. Actually even wikipedia was on the 2nd or 3rd page :D

I myself am not so sure why I keep writing on those very similar topics around here anymore... Guess I started enjoying it... There is a very good expression in my native language - maybe smth like "feed 'em" in a negative way in EN?!

Back to the content, what about google's attitude regarding "unique" content, considering that they own youtube+++++++???

abraxas, May 8, 2014 IP
  13. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google will hit you with a penality, and will only give you something vague....
    google does not owe anyone but their friends and family of google, they are exempt...
    everyone else...you more then free to never put up another site...
    it is a free market, and google has no obligation to explain anything to you....
    and if your 20k pages was of your own work, then you may have been
    flying high in google right now, but you decided to go in another direction
    so it seems...google is not rewarding for bad behavior on a SE that they own...

dscurlock, May 8, 2014 IP
  14. tycho

tycho Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck with your petition, I'm sure this will change the way that Google's worked for all of these years.
    Or you could just fix the problem and file a reconsideration request.

You can sit there and cry all you want but that's not gonna solve the problem. Fix the problem on your site and then file a reconsideration request.

All you are doing is wasting your own time.

tycho, May 9, 2014 IP
  15. abraxas

Best Answers:
    Did you ever filed a reconsideration request, or have you ever seen such that really worked out?
    I haven't, neither would bother to do so if I had to....

abraxas, May 9, 2014 IP
  16. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have. The thing about reconsideration requests is that you have to actually fix the problem before you file for reconsideration. Asking for reconsideration when there are still thousands of copied articles (I'm extrapolating based on what I saw on the site), would be futile. I'd actually recommend OP to just start over and build a new site with original, well written content. Copying content from other websites on a massive scale is not a good long-term strategy.

petertdavis, May 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  17. rockgjmom

rockgjmom Member

Best Answers:
    None of our content has been copied form other sites -- if it 's on other sites it was stolen from us!

rockgjmom, May 9, 2014 IP
  18. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you please respond to this if you want help:

Agent000, May 9, 2014 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So you are accusing Bruce Sallan of copying the article, back dating it and putting up a fake comment that is also backdated?

sarahk, May 9, 2014 IP
    Coupons and ryan_uk like this.
  20. rockgjmom

rockgjmom Member

Best Answers:
    Begin forwarded message:

-----

As for duplicate content it is impossible as far as know to have a site online for the 11 years with-out some. We check before we publish each article but sometimes it just doesn't show up. Duplicate content is not the issue they refer me to Matt Cutts video on thin content which list doorway pages --- don't have those -- affiliate pages --- don't have those -- scrapped content - don't have that --and content generated by automation.

I did finally find out the problem form Google it is that authors that have written for us as freelancers have written some content for bloggerlinkup and therefore we are in a bad neighborhood. I have no idea how to identify which freelancers these are -- nor can I understand if they write a decent article for us how it can be judged on what they have done on other sites. Apparently just taking off bio links isn't good enough they want ht posts down. Seems over the line when they start targeting authors who write an all sorts of topics for all sorts of publications.

rockgjmom, May 9, 2014 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.