1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting $40k to REALLY grow my business. How to spend it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by writtalin, Apr 27, 2014.

I run http://www.writtalin.com, a 4 month old site doing 110k UVs/month already. In May I'll be getting $40,000 to put towards the site to make it a legitimately profitable, successful venture.

So my question is, what is the best way to allocate this $40k to make my site HUGE?

I'm open to any and all ideas.

writtalin, Apr 27, 2014 IP
  2. KonRadicool

KonRadicool Active Member

Best Answers:
    there is no actual topic you follow. What is the point behind your website? I would say sell advertising space, but in saying that there is no real defined market. So advertisers might have trouble associating with your website.
    Sell shirts, membership website (again no real definition to the website) I think you need to focus on one thing as opposed to everything and once you do you will have no trouble making money from advertising, memberships etc. Every major website on the internet has a niche they follow. From News websites, games websites, etc. they focus on one thing and they do it well, Beautiful website but I got lost and I use the internet on a daily basis. Maybe simplify it a bit.
    Just my thoughts, make it simpler to browse and then focus on one thing and do it really well
    Regards
    Konrad

KonRadicool, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  3. cowboy1015

cowboy1015 Member

Best Answers:
    I looked at your site, i assume your site is themed like a magazine blog for college kids? Thats gonna be a difficult niche, unless you can create good viral contents everyday like how buzzfeed and other sites alike does.

So i guess thats where u can spend your money. Hire viral content writers but you probably will end up depending on social traffic.

But for me i'd rather create a site that would offer a service that will keep users coming back, instead of a random blog to read. Or create a system that will let people post their own thoughts. User generated content is the key today.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    cowboy1015, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  4. Ence Litsep

Ence Litsep Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have gone in a great direction and perhaps could do a mixture of the two previous suggestions. Provide viral articles and perhaps some unique feature that is only offered to members. Then you can have the revenue stream of a subscription with the stream from ads also. I think that the best thing you could do is identify what would make this site worthwhile to you and your viewers? What is the unique quality it has that gets viewers to come back again and again? A purpose gives direction.

Ence Litsep, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  5. Automation Hero

Automation Hero Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say test out a small portion of the money into a marketing budget, see what works then dump money into whatever works.

When testing out different advertising methods (i.e. solo ads, FB ads, remarketing, Display network, etc.) be building a list by giving away something related to your site. So send that traffic to a squeeze page so you can keep them coming back. Also, try to put your current traffic into a list as well if you are not already doing so.

Looks like your design and content and platform is all good you just want to get more traction. Press releases are always a good idea as well.

Automation Hero, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  6. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yeah, this is more the kinda feedback I'm looking for - how do you think marketing dollars are best spent? The fact is, I can cover anything as broadly or narrowly as I like; if I have a MASSIVE audience, I know I'll make money. Right now I'm just figuring out how to spend this money to get an audience in excess of 1M/month.

writtalin, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  7. Automation Hero

Best Answers:
    It's tough to say how marketing dollars are best spent until you have some data and know what works best.. Every site/product is going to have complete different results with different items.
    So I would test out some solo ads, Facebook ads, remarketing, banners on different forums, etc. and just put in enough money to get a significant amount of data to know what is working the best. Then add more money into the top performing ones a little at a time.

I.e. Run 100 clicks for solo ads with a couple different vendors. If you find a vendor that converts decently well then up it to about 500 clicks just to make sure he didn't just send you their best traffic. then the next round 1,000 or so clicks. But always be testing different methods as some die out after some time and others will catch on differently. Hope this explained my previous post a bit better.

Automation Hero, May 2, 2014 IP
  8. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:

I'm almost thinking that just paying to get shitloads of Facebook and Twitter fans is really valuable for the type of site I have...thoughts? experiences?

writtalin, May 2, 2014 IP
  9. Automation Hero

Best Answers:
    NO! Don't do that! Buying fake users never did anything for anyone I know. If you are talking about doing FB ads to grow your user base with real people then that's a great idea. But don't go buying 10k followers or likes on FIverr. I know several people who have done that and it's not a good idea.

However, I do think paying money to promote posts on your Facebook page and encourage REAL people to like your page and grow your base that way is a good idea. You should be able to get enough interesting posts that will turn heads with a site like yours. But I'd probably focus more on Facebook than Twitter. You can grow them both at the same time but I like what you can do on Facebook more than Twitter.

10. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nonono hahah I don't mean that shit. I mean about using Twitter's system where you pay per follower and yes, promoting on Facebook.

11. Automation Hero

Best Answers:
    K good. was worried there for a minute. :) In that case I say go for it and you'll be good.

12. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Will do. Thanks!

13. Boost_Software

Boost_Software Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. You need to decide what to sell and to whom you want to sell. And, what's the deal with the pills in your website background photo? I don't mean to be harsh. I would understand if you were selling prescription or over-the-counter drugs, but you're not. I suggest changing your background image to fit the theme of your site. Otherwise, if you want to sell medications, you would need to streamline your site to reflect that.

Boost_Software, May 2, 2014 IP
  14. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would honestly look at email marketing and list building. :)

You already have a BOATLOAD of people visiting your site... But how many will RETURN?

Learn more about the demographic that visits... Then offer them an UNRESISTABLE give away... Hopefully a Popup as soon as they visit. :)

(You could probably find some CPA Offers that could easily convert on the back-end)... "Free Cellphones", "Free Walmart Giftcards", etc. stuff like that.

Anyway - CONGRATS on an awesome job. :)

Stay cool

CandleKeep, May 2, 2014 IP
  15. D3rek

D3rek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Invest on seo. Build more organic traffic.

D3rek, May 2, 2014 IP
  16. markjayswal

markjayswal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try internet marketing strategically not blindly and target your market.

You need to share important content related to your business over the social media so that people can read, enjoy and engage with your business.

Don't try to sell directly.. Get visitors!!

markjayswal, May 3, 2014 IP
  17. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Please tell me you understand the name...

writtalin, May 4, 2014 IP
  18. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Probably the most useful response yet, thanks! I'm getting signups through twitter, FB, and the subtle form on my website for daily emails via feedburner, but so far it's only about 90 people...obviously TINY compared to my traffic (I've only started doing this like 2 weeks ago, but still).

I'm not sure I like the popup idea, though, for me personally, that's the kinda thing that makes me NOT want to go back to a site. Definitely planning on doing more giveaways in exchange for newsletter signups, though. So far I've done stuff like that w/ companies I'm working with directly, but doing random things like giftcards ain't a bad idea...

But thanks! I'm thrilled with how much I've been able to do without any cash, so getting a cash influx should help even more.

19. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What's the best way to invest, though? There are obviously thousands upon thousands of people and companies that claim to help with SEO...any personal recommendations?

20. ETA

ETA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had a look at your site and had no idea what it was about, apart from the slogan pay attention..

Can you tell me more about your site and the demographics.

ETA, May 12, 2014 IP