1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shawn Hogan Sentenced - eBays #1 affiliate gets 5 months in federal prison! OUCH!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GuruCreation, May 2, 2014.

1. VonDoom

VonDoom Member

Best Answers:
    ehh, sounds like a power nap to me.. Just keep yourself loaded with honey buns to trade other inmates.

VonDoom, May 2, 2014 IP
  2. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah... Exactly!

Anyway Shawn, when did ebay come knocking at your door?

I mean, 7 years later is a long time to just serve 5 months in jail and then a couple years on probation..

Just wondering.

GuruCreation, May 2, 2014 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The whole legal process started in 2007 when the FBI came to visit me at eBay's request.

There is a more detailed timeline on the stuff from way back then over here if you are bored and want to read: http://www.shawnhogan.com/2010/08/w...rism-and-meg-whitman-have-in-common-ebay.html

digitalpoint, May 2, 2014 IP
    GuruCreation and liamwli like this.
  4. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, one of these days if you're up to it, just to let off some steam, have me draw up a comic book about this adventure. It would make a good movie.

Greg B, May 2, 2014 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Pretty sure I'd be useless in helping make a comic book. I can't draw my way out of a paper bag. :)

6. georgiecasey

georgiecasey Member

Best Answers:
    hey, my login still works! remember when DP was the defacto Google rank tracker. different times!

shawn, it's a fucking disgrace that you're going to prison for something like this. with all the other dodgy stuff on the internet that's happened since like the acai berry trials. it's just unluckiness that eBay had some fed connections. i think you should try and spread this story amongst the tech press, get some bad press for eBay afterwards

georgiecasey, May 2, 2014 IP
  7. Dave Goehst

Dave Goehst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Unless you're under a Gag Order or believe eBay may try to sue you for slander, I'd definitely throw your story to Forbes and places like that to raise awareness. I think, personally, eBay is getting butthurt because the prevalence of Craigslist and vast growth of social media has taken away the need for auctions anymore. Those people still using eBay are wasting money, time and effort.

Dave Goehst, May 2, 2014 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It is what it is... :)

Re: rank tracker, it's still the most trafficked part of site. ;) https://tools.digitalpoint.com/tracker

9. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Greg B, May 2, 2014 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  11. liamwli

liamwli Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    liamwli, May 2, 2014 IP
  12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Member

Best Answers:
    Oh my... I had no idea. I was pretty sure I was done with eBay after some bad experiences earlier this year and being flat out lied to multiple times and hours lost on the phone with them- this is just more nails in the coffin.

Good luck, Shawn. You know what they say- kick someone's ass the first day.

BirdOPrey5, May 2, 2014 IP
  13. holyearth

holyearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes indeed it appears Mr. Hogan has pled guilty and will get 6 months in federal prison and a federal conviction on his record for "Wire Fraud" ... Mr. Hogan has essentially admitted to being guilty of wire fraud. As reported here: http://performinsider.com/2014/05/super-affiliate-shawn-hogan-sentenced-to-federal-prison/

It would appear that this is a light sentence and his attorneys have done a good job for him based on the severity of the charges, huge dollar sums involved, and length of time of the crime took place undetected.

I wonder too about other criminal infractions that also apply to the crime:
    Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA)
    California ยง 502 (Computer Tampering)
    Restitution and Unjust Enrichment

holyearth, May 2, 2014 IP
  14. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder what will happen to digital points when you Shawn goes to prison? Not being on digital points for 5-6 months is going to be a challenge and as well not being able to take care of digital points problem.

And beside you could probably get out of jail sooner, as most of times anyone can get out earlier than their estimated prison time due to being good and cooperative.

I wish you very, very best of luck my friend.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Joshie, May 2, 2014 IP
  15. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please, what Hogan was charged with is nothing compared to what the real estate, banking, government has ripped off and gotten away scott free from. Obama had a choice, bail out the American People or bail out the industries that ripped off the American People. He chose the latter and lost at that. Sometimes you can't win against government when they come after you for any reason they choose to. If you're in the way of some bigshot's money, you'll end up being charged with every crime from the sinking of the Titanic to who dropped the house on the Wicked Witch of the East.

Greg B, May 2, 2014 IP
  16. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it surely sounds like "we need a fall guy" some companies have gotten filthy rich because of their
    affiliates, then they realize "we do not need you anymore" ebay would not be the first to axe
    top affiliates, I have heard of others that have done this too; why keep paying top affiliates
    over million $$ month or whatever, when we can just axe them, and continue to ride the
    good revenue that the affiliate has already put in place....? sure they may lose a little money
    from killing off the affiliate, but they have already done the hard work, and it really
    sounds like ebay wrecked their relationship w/shawn over greed for more money.

It also sounds like ebay got to deep into things that they could no longer explain
    their way out in a reasonable manner, so they blamed the affiliates., and why
    the hell not, have your affiliates do the dirty work, knowingly or not, and in the
    end it is much easier to blame the affiliates so they can be the ones to take the fall....

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    dscurlock, May 2, 2014 IP
    GuruCreation likes this.
  17. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dscurlock, spot on. I've been working on the web since day-one and have seen many companies drop their affiliates thus ruining
    lives and businesses. It's just part of the ever growing user/exploit model of business, government, religion, and any other big
    industries. No longer a sense of loyalty and honor. The minute they get what they want out of you after the bait&switch model
    they see no need, the investors are the real reason. They tell companies to rip off stuff or they'll sue. Companies won't put their
    investors in check.

Greg B, May 2, 2014 IP
  18. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I just saw this in the news and as shocked.
    Shawn, are you really going to prison for 6 months? Sounds surreal. What will the imprisonment conditions be like? Any special treatment?

DomainMagnate, May 3, 2014 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    5 months (not 6). Why would they give me special treatment? :)

digitalpoint, May 3, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  20. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    Can you get out earlier on good behavior?:) At any rate, hope the time goes by uneventfully and quickly for you and indeed the whole situation comes to a true end.

Scott

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    s.molinari, May 3, 2014 IP