1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time taken to write an original & good quality 500-word article

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Content Maestro, Jan 29, 2014.

1. luanatf

luanatf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on the amount of research required - usually it's between 2 and 8 hours. :)

luanatf, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  2. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your style is actually almost similar to mine...I first research, write down the main points on a sheet of paper, so that when it comes to writing I will only refer the highlighted points and I am able to flow throughout the whole article.It can be very frustrating having to take a long pause in between the typing in order to think of what to write next.

mr.sidney, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  3. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know. These 'long' pauses are sometimes so long that you get disconnected and have to start all over again. Wastes a lot of time and is painful. Only when the flow of thoughts is uninterrupted, you are able to write properly from start to end without breaking. That's why, when the subject is new or unfamiliar, I make it a point to create an outline first and write the article only after all points are listed, organized and ready.

Content Maestro, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  4. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    For topics I'm familiar with, I could be very fast, since my typing speed is also fast, so probably 20 minutes per article. If I need to study the topic, then I spend 1 hour or more. Anyway, I like to spend a lot of time also for topics I know very well, it's a kind of "relaxed" writing, to have the pleasure of writing.

5. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I wish I had a good typing speed. It could probably cut down the time I require to write a 500-words by 5-10 minutes.
    I agree. Writing on topics that you don't know about can be strenuous sometimes. Familiar subjects give you a nice refreshing break from it.

Content Maestro, Mar 24, 2014 IP
  6. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Sorry didn't notice your reply. You are right. Research is the most important factor. You just can't write anything.
    For me, two hours is the least time required (for 500 words) when the topic is something I have not come across before. Research and cross-checking information take a lot of time. Luck is very important here. If on some day I am lucky enough, I hit the right page within seconds. But this happens very rarely. At other times, two hours are consumed completely in researching.
    8 hours ….. I guess for something like white papers or research reports, 8 hours can be considered.
    Anyway, thanks for your comments.:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Content Maestro, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  7. tulipweb

tulipweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Research is the key factor before writing a valuable article, i am also agree with 1 hour limit as its ideal to give
    15-20 minutes for Research
    15 minutes Writing 500 words
    20 minutes Proofreading
    10 minutes Editing and corrections.

tulipweb, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  8. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    It's quite difficult to say whether an hour can be set as an ideal time frame to write a 500 words article. That depends to a great extent on what the article is about, how it is to be written and again differs a lot for every individual writer. As you point out, nothing good can be written unless some research is conducted. Exceptions to this can only be when you are absolutely well-versed with the subject.
    Thanks for sharing your distribution of an hour's slot though. I would add that a fast typing speed can significantly help you to reduce the time needed for writing. Proofreading – the more it's done, the better. Your saved time should be utilized here. Editing and correcting – I normally do it before proofing what's written. Depending on the requirement, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour.:)

Content Maestro, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  9. WriteWorkz

WriteWorkz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have read all the comments here and I think you're all right. The truth is I can write faster than ever if the topic is closer to my interests and my heart's desires.

WriteWorkz, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just a thought to ponder...if it only takes you an hour to research, write and edit a piece....why would anyone want to pay a lot for your work?

YMC, Apr 29, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  11. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    You'd have to define "a lot", of course, but they should pay you for an hour's work at professional rates appropriate to your ability.

If the end product of that hour is a rewrite of a Wikipedia page, then they'll obviously be upset at paying $25, for example. But if it's a well-researched, well-written piece of content that informs and interests the intended reader, then it's well worth the money. Why should an experienced, competent writer work for $5 an hour?

Like anything, it's horses for courses. You get what you pay for.

TIEro, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  12. weakpa2

weakpa2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You are fast in making 500 words...

weakpa2, May 21, 2014 IP
  13. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    How much time do you normally require to write an original and good-quality 500 words article taking into account all factors like research on the topic, keyword research, writing, proofreading etc.? Do you follow any specific method to reduce your time span?

Content Maestro, May 21, 2014 IP
  14. Michael Leng

Michael Leng Active Member

Best Answers:
    I take about 40 - 60 min. / article writing. I attempt to do it more faster but still not better than for now.

Michael Leng, May 21, 2014 IP
  15. weakpa2

weakpa2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It takes me 3-4 hours to make a quality content..I'm new in blogging I still learning about seo.

weakpa2, May 21, 2014 IP
  16. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I encourage not to hurry through your stuff as it will only hamper quality. 60 min by no means is too much. Take breathers in between and let your speed increase naturally.
    Blogging is tough, I agree. The style has to be conversational and interactive and your content has to keep the readers engaged. So 3-4 hours IMO to write an original and good-quality 500 words blog is fair considering that you collect data, research, and proof it as well.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Content Maestro, May 21, 2014 IP
  17. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Have you ever had to write a topic which is fairly new to you, that you`re even afraid to start writing the article since you have a perception that it might be difficult?You end up wasting a lot of time and procrastinating, and when you finally gather enough courage and start doing some research, you find that it wasn`t difficult at all.Sometimes you even feel like punching yourself at the thought of how much time you have wasted!!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    mr.sidney, May 22, 2014 IP
  18. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought I'd respond to these questions (even though they weren't directed to me) because they're so good. And because I felt like it. :)

How much time do you normally require: about 2 hours for VHQ, an hour for HQ.
    Research on the topic: depends, though I mostly write in areas with which I'm familiar, so my research requirement is low. I also assimilate knowledge extremely fast, so I'd say 15-30 mins just to brush up what I already know.*
    Keyword research: I don't do this and never have. Keyword research is the client's job, not mine. Google's updates have made it far less worthwhile and, to be blunt, I've never bothered - I've always written high-quality content that is now considered "authority content" and, if the client wanted keywords, they had someone stuff them in later.
    Writing, proofreading etc.: VHQ 45 minutes, HQ 15-20 minutes writing, editing as I go for errors and stupidities. Proofing and editing the same amount. Why are you surprised? :)

Do you follow any specific method to reduce your time span?
    Apart from the note below about research/topics, no. The work takes the time it takes - that's how it should be, and trying to work faster is a fast route to lower quality. (Oooh, déj vu. I've typed that before, somewhere.)

The thing that often surprises people is that I take as long editing and proofing as I do writing. I do that at least several hours, but preferably a day or two, later. First and second drafts are rarely up to scratch, though it does happen.

* Interestingly, I just realised that I don't take single-article orders for subjects with which I am not familiar. If it's going to be an entire site or a 30-page ebook or something, sure, but I don't spend hours researching just for a couple of pages. The price hit for a 3-hour article usually pushes it out of the client's range (because I cost a lot anyway). I hadn't noticed that before today. :)

TIEro, May 22, 2014 IP
  19. Eijaz Pardhan

Eijaz Pardhan Member

Best Answers:
    First of all writing a 500 words content is not an easy job, it will take a lot of time if it comes in between your work. Well i have a worst experience of it, as i got an assignment from my boss to write around 6 fresh contents of 500 words. Thank god that we have another writer who helped me and write one content for me, and the rest of the article was written by me, well i end up by saying that i was a horrible day for me. But i love that work pressure.

Eijaz Pardhan, May 27, 2014 IP
  20. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    How much difficult or easy it is to write a 500 worder mostly depends on the subject about which you are writing and how well-versed you are with it. Delegating helps to reduce your workload especially when schedules are tight and there is paucity of time. I would say you need to be lucky enough to have good associate writers who can really help you out when such a problem arises, deliver good quality and are available whenever you need them. Work pressure is always going to be there. And the more you love it, the faster you can write a piece (.... a 500 words article).:)

Content Maestro, May 30, 2014 IP