1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's better for SEO, a unique article on your website....

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MrPoloShirt, Dec 6, 2006.

?

What's better for SEO?

1. A unique article on your website.

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. A unique article in a few dozen directories giving you backlinks.

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. eukhost

eukhost Banned

Best Answers:
    I would say post unique articles on your own website and don't submit those articles to article directories, it would diminish your site content's value. if you are thinking about article submission, write unique articles for your website and completely different ones for submission to article directories .

If you are thinking about submitting the articles which are on your site, publish articles on your own site first and after they are indexed then make a few changes to those articles and publish them in the articles directories you have on your list.

eukhost, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  2. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    You're not thinking.

You wouldn't likely get the backlinks, the article directory you submitted your article to would get the back links.

In the same way a searcher would find your article on an article directory, they could also find your article on your website, and give you direct backlinks to your website, without the middle man of an article directory.

Think through what you said, it doesn't make sense.

MrPoloShirt, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  3. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    I was thinking the same thing.

I wondered if there was some kind of program out there, like a "thesaurus writer" type program that would replace certain words with other words of the same meaning (thus making the article different and fooling Google), so you would then submit it to article directories.

It wouldn't even have to be high quality article, just crap. Just to get the backlinks.

4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    There are quite a few of them. The top three are probably Website Content Wizard, Webspinner and ContentSolution. If you want something server based there is Turbo Sitemaker.

Here something on Publishing Articles that my be of interest.

- Michael

Michael, Dec 9, 2006 IP
    MrPoloShirt likes this.
  5. SemperFi

SemperFi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's not true. When an article is submitted, I immediately get the backlinks that were in my article. When the article is downloaded, for use on another person's site, I get those back links. I have an article that was submitted 2-3 weeks ago and when doing a search for it, there are 911 references to it. Often times, other article directories will download the article for their directory.

Check this out. Here is an article that was written for me about a week and a half ago. Wasn't really impressed with the quality of writing, but it certianly did the job, as there is almost 400 occurences of it when doing a search on Google. Try it, the article title is "Is Real Estate Investment A Secure Thing" Go into Google's advanced options and do a search for the "Exact Phrase" then pull up one of the links and look at the bottom, you'll see the links to my real estate website joelane.com

I submitted a few articles a few days ago that already have been dowloaded a dozen times or so.

Joe :)

SemperFi, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  6. SemperFi

Best Answers:
    Yes there are. It is called 'spinning.' There is software out there that will take one article and 'spin' it a 100 times. I do not know of the software, but I do have a reference of someone that does it. PM me and I can send his name and number. :cool:

SemperFi, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  7. SemperFi

Best Answers:
    Essentially, they need to pass the copyscape.com test. I understand Google uses copyscape to check for dup content. Not for sure, but that's the 'scuttlebutt.'

SemperFi, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  8. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    What I'm saying is that when people link to your article, they will link to the page the article is on (in the article directory), not your actual site.

Yes you will get backlinks from the article directories, but the important natural backlinks you will not get as many of, the article directory will get many of the backlinks you should have gotten.

9. SemperFi

Best Answers:
    I can tell you from experience, that is not what happens. Users do not link to the article site, they download the article. Check my post and do a search for the article I mentioned.

Not trying to pick an argument, just trying help the cause. :)

SemperFi, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  10. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean, "download the article"?

11. SemperFi

Best Answers:
    The #1 purpose of article directories is article distribution. The reason why we as website owners, webmasters, whatever, submit to directories is to have the articles we write distributed, and of course, with our links attached. If you go to any of the article directories, there you will find instructions to copy/paste the article into your website. And with the instructions are the rules stating that the links need to be intact. So, when I say "download the article," it is meant as copy/paste the article. Maybe, that's my bad for not being clear. :)

SemperFi, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  12. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    .......So if I put my article in an article directory, people are going to steal it and put it on their website?

Well in that case, no way in heck would I allow any content I put any decent amount of time into to be put in an article directory. I would just make/buy crap articles.

13. SemperFi

Best Answers:
    Well, it's not stealing, as when you submit your article you are agreeing to allow users to use your article. For what it is worth, you would want your best writing in article directories, as you having other users use it creates credibility to your site.

Ultimately, it depends on your goals. Some want only content, so they ignore garnering backlinks, some go for Search Engine Optimization and go for both the content and the backlinks. Still others go for just backlinks, creating a site with relatively high PR, then sell advertising.

SemperFi, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  14. angel_face

angel_face Banned

Best Answers:
    If you write an article make sure that your site has benifit for that Data... because you write that content for your site sake.

angel_face, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  15. ConstantContent

ConstantContent Banned

Best Answers:
    It depends where the backlinks are coming from.... If they are coming for article directories or low traffic and PR sites, then its worthless. If its a well written article posted on one site that gets a lot of traffic, decent PR, and is related to your site... then its better off on that site. But free article directories and are worthless.

ConstantContent, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  16. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    i tested with one important keyword for our site by submitting our copyrighted article to dozens of article directories and sites with a link to our site from that important keyword., Within 2 months we went to the first position from 5th position in google., But not in yahoo or msn
    The point is:
    a)We dont use that important keyword in any page of ours because we brand our site using another keyword(but its related to our business),
    This maybe due to: Yahoo and msn GIving more importance to onpage optimization and google giving more imporance to inbound links

sarathy, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  17. j4s0n

j4s0n Guest

Best Answers:
    I've read somewhere, I'm sorry that I can't quote the source here since I forgot where it is. Duplicate articles will get duplicate penalty, regardless of the originating site or who duplicated.

So basically it depends on your intentions having your articles duplicated. If it's just for linkbacks, expect that page where your article is, will soon drop. However it's still cool since you got lots of linkbacks :)

I also experienced that someone duplicated someone else's entire home page. The originating site fell on the SERPs. :(

j4s0n, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  18. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Write two kinds of articles. In two bunchs.

One to submit to the article directories. Another to put on your own website.

Nick_Mayhem, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  19. j4s0n

j4s0n Guest

Best Answers:
    how about the distributed article got a link to the original source article. I don't know how much weight it will get though.

j4s0n, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  20. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    Only the people who penalized are the people who copy it.

Think about it. I can promise you most every decent article on the internet, has been reposted somewhere, either on a forum or on another site, or somewhere.

It's almost impossible to have a very popular article and it not get reposted somewhere. Google knows this. So they would not penalize the originator, otherwise almost every major site would have to be penalized.

MrPoloShirt, Dec 10, 2006 IP