1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Been in the US for almost 17 years now, still can't get over some of these...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by qwikad.com, Apr 21, 2014.

qwikad.com, Apr 21, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I visited a few years ago and suffered a major cultural clash
    • asked for steak, got mince
    • portion sizes!
    • stomach stapling billboards on the motorway
    • young people in mobility scooters everywhere - either there are more disabled people in the US than I'm used to, or they are more visible, not sure
    • hired a taxi driver to take us out for the day in LA but because our hotel was in one district and where we wanted to go was in another he was able to drop us off but not pick us up again legally, the plan was to rendezvous down a back road - it didn't work. He caught up with us later and wanted the full fare even though we'd been stranded and had to hire a different taxi to get back
    • when I worked in Boston in 2000 (briefly) I'd go out to lunch with my colleagues there was an election looming and be approached by people brandishing party propaganda and we'd laugh because none of us were eligible to vote.
    Then again I went to Australia at Christmas and was driven mad every time I made a purchase because the sales clerk wanted to press the cheque, savings or credit buttons while in NZ the customer decides and presses the button and doesn't have to announce it to the clerk. And then there were the flies!

NZ has plenty of flaws too. Not enough bike lanes, idiots who treat Kim Dotcom as a folk hero...

Every country is different. They all have their good points and bad. I'm just not sure I could raise my kids in a country where schools have signs banning recreational equipment.

[​IMG]

sarahk, Apr 21, 2014 IP
    jrbiz and qwikad.com like this.
  3. jimmyt200388

jimmyt200388 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have never visited but this made me laugh!

jimmyt200388, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am a native American who has lived here his entire life. I had a good laugh at the truth in all of the above observations; however, I also need to point out that there are a lot of differences based upon the geography of the American citizen. I am from the Northeast (NY, New England, etc.) and we are famous for being abrupt, fast-talking, and nasty drivers. Of course, that is what I am used to.

When I travel to Iowa, for example, I get really annoyed with how courteous the drivers are; it really slows down traffic!

When I go to Oklahoma, I cringe when I go into a convenience store and EVERYONE asks how you are, what you are doing, etc. I just want to buy my pack of gum and get out of there, not have a 30-minute chat with a bunch of super nice people.

When I go to Colorado, the healthy exercise freaks annoy me beyond belief (things may be a bit different there now that pot is legal.)

When I go to the Pacific Northwest, I can be quickly annoyed by the "in your face" environmentalism.

I simply cannot figure out the road signs in Texas (they seem to be written and placed quite differently from anywhere else.

In Florida, it is too "muggy and buggy" to do anything but leave as soon as possible, though I absolutely love the boiled peanuts that you can buy on the side of the road.

Of course, I can go on and on and don't get me started on Europe! Been there many times, especially to the UK, and there are quite few things that surprise me all of the time. Vive la difference, I suppose.

jrbiz, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Totally! how boring would life be if we were all the same!

sarahk, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  6. ineedfreedom

ineedfreedom Active Member

Best Answers:
    hahaha agree, no point travelling if so.

ineedfreedom, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I went to the US in the mid 80s. Stood at the top of the WTC, took photos, had fun, ate lots, started a life long love affair with "American Mustard". People were awesome, even the cops were cool.
    I don't think I'd have the same experience if I went back today.
    -----
    Flies? OMG! Nooooooooooo!
    I'm planning a trip to NZ just so I can roll around in long grass and go for a swim without being killed by something.

Kerosene, Apr 26, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.