1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unhappy thoughts... (Will there be another Panda?)

Discussion in 'Google' started by qwikad.com, Apr 3, 2014.

Since hundreds of thousands of websites have been deemed spammy by Google, how soon do you think it will be before Google will make changes to their AdSense's algorithm and start banning AdSense publishers that promote duplicate, spammy or low quality content? Something tells me it's simply bound to happen.

I don't want anyone to start panicking, but if you really think about it, if a website is deemed spammy, low quality or irrelevant, logically, it should not wear the badge of Google's approval, i.e. AdSense ads.

Sigh.

qwikad.com, Apr 3, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Isn't that optimistic - that Google will be consistent in it's appraisal of websites. I'd have expected that that team working on Adsense are completely separate from the team working on SERPs and while there will be data sharing there would be no binding of one team to the other.

Much of the chatter here is that Google are money grubbing monsters who just want to take your money - if that is the case then expect those publishers to remain active but with low quality ads being served.

I've only got a handful of sites still serving up ads and maybe it's a reflection on the traffic volumes (low) or the niche but the ads that get served up are pathetic.

sarahk, Apr 3, 2014 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  3. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google may come up with another animal to attack websites. I'm all for limiting spam, but some of the updates favored the huge corporate websites and hurt the little guy.

Updates will continue. SEO will continue to evolve.

danasurvey, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  4. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I've been hearing chit chat from various source and just day back I saw a post of Webpronews about the upcoming google update it looks like Matt has something in mind, here have a look at this post "webpronews.com/matt-cutts-talks-about-coming-google-algorithm-changes-2014-04" .

John Dave, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  5. imrizk

imrizk Active Member

Best Answers:
    dont let the next update scare you, use it to your advantage, and when it comes, be prepped to give it all you got, and with any change there is a lot of opportunities

imrizk, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  6. Boost_Software

Boost_Software Member

Best Answers:
    It's be nice if Google would update their guidelines. Although, maybe they have by now and we just have to double-check the new TOS. I wish the agreements weren't so long, however. Alot to read.

Boost_Software, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  7. fadhi123

fadhi123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    what you expecting date of panda update any idea guys ?

fadhi123, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  8. SEOsince99

SEOsince99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's all about the $$

If your site isn't bringing money for Google via Adsense then you'll be banned at some point. They don't want sites that cause trouble or that are being added to the negative lists within Adwords.

SEOsince99, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  9. DinoJRG

DinoJRG Member

Best Answers:
    I think one day google search is just going to be one giant list of big corporations, massive networks, and hollywood crap. The SERPs will not really depend on what is more related to the keyword, but more of how respected the company is. No independent sites will be allowed in it.

Oh wait.......that's already happening.

DinoJRG, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    Conran and danasurvey like this.
  10. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you take a look at the AdSense policies, part of it is that sites need to comply with the Webmaster Guidelines. Where is the problem in that? Why would advertisers want ads on crap quality sites. And that has been the case for a long-time.

You run an affiliate program - would you want people promoting it by spamming? I would imagine not.

ryan_uk, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    Jim4767 and danasurvey like this.
  11. awl03c

awl03c Member

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine they would do this. They are against spam but they still make money off of it and I think that's likely more important to them in the end.

awl03c, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  12. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I get it. However, Google's definition of spam has changed / evolved over the last 3 years. Google is re-defining the webmaster guidelines and by default the AdSense webmaster guidelines will get re-defined too. If that's the case, in some near future, their algo update will get thousands of AdSense accounts either alerted regarding low quality content or banned because of that. Again, I just have a hunch, nothing more.

If their advertisers don't get sufficient ROI, they will do all they can to get rid of the sites that stand in the way of providing the experience that the advertisers want. So, no, they won't care about the money they can make off of spammy sites.

qwikad.com, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  13. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I don't see that it has changed, just that they improved their algorithms to deal with an ever growing problem. It's really spammers/black hats you need to be angry with and not Google. If their junk wasn't there, then there wouldn't be all this idiotic FUD that people spread (just look at how it has made you worry). The Webmaster Guidelines have largely remained the same, mostly expanding on examples (such as link schemes). Unfortunately, everything needs to be taken to extremes and dragged into link schemes by the idiots, so they screw it up for people using guest blogging of infographics legitimately, for example.

If your content is good and you aren't spamming, then there is nothing to worry about. Just apply common sense and be wary of what you read as the "next big thing" (aka "what we are going to spam to death and screw next").

With regards to AdSense: yes they have stopped handing out accounts like candy. In the past, anyone who put a decent site together could get one, but the requirements have become stricter. I don't think it's as bad as people make out though; the actual picture is skewed by the big growth in the amount of people who apply with rubbish sites that are barely readable (and make your eyes bleed), get rejected and then go and cry on every forum. Or Black Hatters who took it too far, get their accounts banned and can do nothing but blame Google and cry to their mother. Usually, when people get accepted/do well with something, they don't go posting about it. It's always the whiners that are the most vocal.

Another way to look at it is: the less crappy sites in AdSense the better; more money for genuine publishers.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    ryan_uk, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    Jim4767, danasurvey, Rado_ch and 2 others like this.
  14. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't want to go back and forth about whether or not Google's definition of spam has evolved over the years. To say it's always been the same is simply incorrect.

Here's how it all went: https://www.google.com/insidesearch/howsearchworks/fighting-spam.html

From my personal experience, I still remember promoting stuff on AdWords and getting an enormous amount of traffic as early as in 2008 using sites that today would be considered low quality or even spammy. Those sites won't even produce a single impression on AdWrods today. Was I a spammer back then? Not at all.

I will not be surprised, if given enough time and a further change in Google's definition of spam, even this forum (and similar forums) will be considered low quality and/or spammy (even though all of us know it's neither of those).

I guess I've rung the bell enough to maybe warn some folks who want to continue keeping their good standing with AdSense. Make sure your sites are of the best possible quality. Don't count on the fact that just because you've been with AdSense for years and years, you're safe.

qwikad.com, Apr 5, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  15. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I very much doubt Google will be significantly harming sites that make them money. Google takes care of its own, just look at their corporate partners appearing so frequently with spammy pages, or their own YT videos appearing for anything where there's a remotely similar content.
    AdSense is probably one way a webmaster can potentially reduce the impact of any algo. Google is all about the $, if you're making money for it, you're less likely to be hit by an update.

Conran, Apr 6, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  16. charlesgan

charlesgan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    right now their share price is sky high and it won't be the best time to cut profit via another wave of banning or penalty.
    that is equal self-suicide.

its business, and its depend mostly on their management decision. Not a call from tech people.

by the way, their panda don't work as advertise either!

charlesgan, Apr 8, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  17. Dragon Knight

Dragon Knight Peon

Best Answers:
    With Google updates you become paranoid. The definition of quality content and natural links are every day more hard to determine. Sometimes you see a spammy site well ranked and a quality one desindexed.

Dragon Knight, Apr 29, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  18. Panks7077

Panks7077 Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that Google Adsense users will be under the scanner. Google needs display network. As long as people are coming on websites and Adsense ads are being displayed, Google is in profit.

Panks7077, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Build a good website with worthy content and you will do fine.

I lost about 30K unique visitors a month because of Panda and Penguin. My stuff is all white-hat and of high quality, but I had fallen for the siren song and over the years had built a poor link profile (tons of worthless directories and social bookmarking sites). When those were devalued, my traffic dropped, probably to where it should be.

But I still get about 30K visitors a month after all the weeding out done by Panda and Penguin. And that's because it is a good website with well-written, unique content.

Jim4767, May 1, 2014 IP
    danasurvey and ryan_uk like this.
  20. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I think most of us can hold our hands up and say that we fell for this in the past. We listened to what so-called experts told us (usually on forums and some kind of link building formula - article submission+blog comments+social bookmarking+directory submission = higher ranking). It was actually taking a course in eCommuncations that returned me to being audience-focused. Building links is not; that is just an attempt to trick search engines. Stuffing content with keywords is as well - that is even worse for the (potential) audience.

I do fine from AdSense, with good and relevant ads to the content. For anyone who has ads that suck should tweak their settings, such as disabling interest-based ads (you want contextual instead) and disabling "unsavoury" categories. After this, my sites had more relevant ads and a higher CPC and CTR.

ryan_uk, May 1, 2014 IP
    malky66 and Jim4767 like this.