1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More money than sense?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by sarahk, Apr 2, 2014.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11231089

Localist was started by our national postal service and focussed initially on just one city. Lots of giveaways, cute cars zipping around the city. A directory that was trying to be social. They even had a rep visit us to try to upsell us [our listing] onto a paid listing - turned me off when the rep told me they'd partnered with Google but on closer inspection it turned out they were just using Google's custom search.

I'm surprised that the management team wanted to sink their own money into it. I wish them luck but I'm not sure a directory really warrants it.

sarahk, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "cute little cars zipping around the city"...sounds like they invested a lot in targeting youngsters but then again, you too remember the cars.

They definitely need to do something with the layout. When I first pulled it up, the first thing that jumped into my head is that it looked like one of those domain parking pages that spoofs a site/search engine.

It seems a bit like a directory and Pinterest and Facebook all merged into one. Seems like it could work. Looks a bit like the NZ version of Yelp.

YMC, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    They should've partnered with Yelp for NZ instead ( http://www.yelp.co.nz/ ). I am sure Yelp could use a little help over in NZ and it would probably yield positive results for both parties.

qwikad.com, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The theme looks like Pintest, lol

I guess if it was in the red maybe they bought it for scrap prices, Still seems like a pretty big gamble. I would not want to compete in the directory biz with the big players, seems like if you fall off of 1st page google you would die pretty quick.

averyz, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    ouch :)

They sure could, I hadn't even realised they were trying!

sarahk, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It sounds like the mistake they made was getting people's attention but not being able to make the most of it. The cute cars provided name recognition but how many folks visited or used the site because of them? After all, how many folks are surfing the web whilst driving?

YMC, Apr 3, 2014 IP