1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finding members

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by dedideals, Apr 2, 2014.

Probably already been asked but, what are recommendations for finding new forum members?

Thought it would be worthwhile opening one with not too many rules, but struggling to find users!

Solved! View solution.
    dedideals, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You need to find a niche that isn't already being well served - good luck with that! However I've revisted some forums lately that haven't been updated in years and consequently look clunky and out of date. The members are happy, on the whole, but if they weren't then they'd be ripe for the picking to a new forum.

I see from your BST thread that you've started a webmaster forum - the latest in a long line of webmaster forums. You'll need to have something special to gain traction. Personally I'd revisit your business plan and go over all the details to make sure you aren't throwing away time and money.

sarahk, Apr 2, 2014 IP
    Devtard, ryan_uk and matt_62 like this.
  3. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    I guess so but the trend I notice is tons of restrictions, non cared for webmaster forums full of spam and junk, so the idea is to build a good community with clean looking forums and no spam - It is not for money just for pleasure so there is no intention money wise from it

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    No spam - that'll keep you busy. This forum has some pretty cool automated systems in place to keep the spammers at bay but still they come...

sarahk, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  5. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed so we have a few mods already and myself which will be active regular to keep on top

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So now you just have to look at how you market that unique feature (no spam) to the webmaster community. I think you'll need something more to really draw them away though. I suspect the clincher would be if you could guarantee that buyers and sellers using your forum will fulfill their part of the deal. That's where most of the complaints here stem from.

sarahk, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  7. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that could be something, we have not setup a full buy and sell forum yet but hey soon

Most people really underestimate the challenges involved in launching a successful forum. Getting quality traffic is the first hardest part of the battle, converting your traffic to signup, is difficult. There is a great resistance that prevents most people from joining a new forum, and those that do, often only join for a few questions (or to meet requirements for signature link). Even fewer will become long term members.

I havent tried this, but this is something that I am planning to do myself as this fits in with my business plan. I will setup a forum (not necessarily open to the public to join) and write some quality guides and material on specific subjects that relate to my niche. I will then use adwords, targeting specific questions that my guides provide the solution for. If I am on other forums, and there are questions that noone has answered, I might quote (and reference) my guides.

If your doing a webmaster forum, then perhaps some up-to-date guides on SEO for 2014 would be welcomed. Digitalpoint has alot of information on the home page, (not actually hosted on the forum, just indexed) and I am a sucker for reading most of the stuff that shows up on that page. But this strategy, isnt meant to get signups, but to establish the site as being a place to find quality information -> most forums, (digitalpoint, webhostingtalk to name just 2) I visited them for the information, for years before I became a member. Its then like, well, I need to find an expert, so I join said forums, to connect directly with experts that I know can answer my problems. So in my mind, by having that quality content, and guides helped to establish that as a quality source of information.

Like anything that requires members to help drive the content, you have this battle where you need content for members, but you need members for content. Most people seem to do this by having post loop (paying for members and posts) -> i believe digitalpoint did that when it was starting out, offering a payout for 1000 posts or something.
    Some other things that I have seen to help get signups would be forcing visitors to signup to download stuff/ view attachments, and so on.Just helps convert casual visitor into a member.

Truth is, I have seen soo many great ideas over the years, but most of them fail miserably and I hate it when webmasters lose big investing in something that had potential. For some people, it would have been cheaper to give $5000 to charity then to try to start a forum, and there is no real easy solution that will guarantee you success.

Most important lesson to learn when it comes to websites, is that false hope is more common then brutal honesty.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    matt_62, Apr 2, 2014 IP
    Devtard likes this.
  9. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, so far not so bad but I do not expect something massive and a huge investment will not be going into it, just a few 100 to get it going.

I will do what I can and it may or may not work, but as a sideline thing for a hobby something more to do in a day, I don't see no reason not to give it a go :) Great post thank you for the feedback and advice

10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not that I recall.
    He leveraged on the discenchanted members from SEOChat after the forum sold and the ads killed the site speed (back in '04 most of us were still on dial up). Then we had adsense revenue sharing that caught the imaginations of a lot of people. I'm not sure people would risk their adsense accounts these days though.

sarahk, Apr 2, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.