1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help! How to convert 80,000 UVs/Month into real money?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by writtalin, Mar 25, 2014.

I run a website that's only three months old, and has fantastic, engaging content. The site is http://www.writtalin.com.

However, despite being on pace for 80,000 UVs this month (66k last month), I still am struggling to make REAL money...as in $1000+ per month. What is the best way to monetize my site? I'm using a few ad networks and affiliate program, but those aren't where the big bucks are, and I know that. I've made a few direct ad sales, but they're not frequent enough to really make a lot of dough, either.

So I ask those of you with experience: what is the best way to start making $1k+ a month starting next month? I'm open to pretty much anything that doesn't sacrifice my site's integrity.

Thanks!

writtalin, Mar 25, 2014 IP
  2. zenplus

zenplus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow great site! You have quality content.

Some thoughts you could pursue:
    1) Have you writers put together some sort of e-book and sell it.
    2) Some sort of premium subscription. Such as access to special articles, interviews, etc.

zenplus, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  3. mrgadget

mrgadget Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Stick first with Adsense (the fact that if you apply many monetizing methods may decrease the efficency)
    PS: I've just checked and not sure why you get over 80k+/month; your traffic from Search Engine is just about 30-50/day. Could you mind explaining?
    Thanks!

mrgadget, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  4. mrgadget

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If adsense doesn't work for you, you can try selling ad space on buysellads.com
    Anyway, I would like to learn from you about how to attract so much traffic.

5. samk2824

samk2824 Member

Best Answers:
    Can You Tell Me What CPC BuySellAds Offers ??
    Thanks In Advance ! :)

samk2824, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  6. mrgadget

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's like a market place where seller and buyer will meet each other.
    You have website with good traffic volumn, so you will submit your sites for reviewing. If buysellads approve, they will list your site for selling ad space.
    You can go directly to buysellads to learn more how it work.
    Regards,

7. samk2824

samk2824 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Sir,
    I Got You..
    It Means They Doesnt Have Fixed CPC As They Just Make A Link Between Advertisers And Publishers ! :)

samk2824, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  8. James Rigley

James Rigley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is what my AdBlock shows when I visit your website:
    This is too much. Stick to a few well placed ads and work about building a product to sell. Paid weekly newsletter is a good option, PRO account without ads might be another sound choice.

James Rigley, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I looked your site up on Alexa: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/writtalin.com and I think it should give you an idea as to why you can't make much with your paid ads.

Bounce Rate: 65.30% - That's a really huge bounce rate. Two thirds of your visitors just leave the site without giving a second thought to it.

Daily Pageviews per Visitor: 1.60 - For an online news site it's pretty low.

Daily Time on Site: 1:58 - It's very low too.

I browsed your site a bit before and I like your site's design, at the same time, I don't think it's all it's cut out to be. Although I don't particularly like http://www.upworthy.com/ (they really spew out dumb news IMHO), but if you care to see what makes an online news site - an online news site, check them out. They grab your attention like crazy. Your site - not so much.

Don't take this as criticism. I think you can make it work, but it's not going to be about the positioning of your ads, but rather making your site's design more user friendly.

qwikad.com, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  10. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Already planning a year-end book of the best content...I actually LOVE that idea, and hopefully I'll have an audience that would buy enough copies to justify production costs by December...

writtalin, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  11. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, search traffic has been an area of little focus. I market TIRELESSLY through social media, and StumbleUpon Paid Discovery has been instrumental as well. I'm trusting that as I get tons of traffic from these sources, the search engine success will follow.

12. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I know my bounce rate and all that isn't ideal - it's the price I pay for having almost exclusively social traffic thus far. Do you think it can work with a design like I have in time?

13. prawyyy

prawyyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion you need to go in to some niche, and then you will be able to get sponsors from this niche. When I enter this website I don't know what is about. Maybe fashion? If yes then try to work on content to look like fashion website, then start to make deals with fashion online shops... But if website is about everything then it will be hard for you to monetize it.

prawyyy, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  14. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely not fashion, ha. Pop culture, entertainment, lifestyle. Not niche at all, and I don't want it to be. I'm trying to be more in the vein of sites like Elite Daily. Obviously, they've succeeded, so I just need to figure out how to follow their model.

15. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    How did you get that much traffic to your site in only three months?

Dionne Taylor, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  16. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Tireless, tireless promotion through social media, basically. My total sunk costs are only $1500. It's been a ton of elbow grease. But honestly, I think the #1 thing is that my content is fresh and engaging.

writtalin, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  17. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    What social media site brings the most traffic?

Dionne Taylor, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  18. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Lots of Facebook, StumbleUpon and Twitter. Stumbleupon is prob best.

writtalin, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  19. prozeal

prozeal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. You need to change your design, right now your top right box ad is below the fold so it's not effective for advertisers. Also the fragmentation of boxes of content makes it look messy.
    2. You need to understand the demographic or type of people who visit your site and offer something that those people would most likely be interested in, ads wise.
    3. Make a slogan, what is Writtalin? I don't know, it should make sense.

Also I would not focus on making money on this site just yet rather to make a real identity for the site and establish even more traffic. You've done very well in just 3 months, don't give up and keep the good content going and make improvements to the site. At one point when it really grows and you can change the bounce rates lower and engagement higher then you can think about monetizing. Also look for successful websites like yours and what they're advertising this should give you an idea of what works

prozeal, Apr 13, 2014 IP
  20. KonRadicool

KonRadicool Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Ditch adsense makes the website look cheap
    2. Create a product you give away for a subsription
    3. market products to the list that you built.
    Many of the top online money makers generate profit from their lists and if you have that many people visiting your website then you should definitely try and capture their details so that its not a Unique visit but a returning loyal fan.
    By the way How did you manage to get 80,000UV's in 3 months (great ebook Idea) :)

KonRadicool, Apr 13, 2014 IP