1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the worst website you ever saw?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by JamesYes, Mar 25, 2014.

Here people often exchange best design practices and good websites and layouts, but how about the horrific ones, like these ones:

Lings Cars: http://www.lingscars.com/
    Arngren: http://www.arngren.net/

Those two are very popular among the worst. I remember once seeing a website that was similar to Arngren's, just 1000 times bigger, heavier and uglier, but unfortunately I forgot it.

However I still think that this one, despite its simplicity, is really horrible: http://fifth-world-problems.tumblr.com/

What is worst website you ever saw?

JamesYes, Mar 25, 2014 IP
  2. TimothyEyton

TimothyEyton Member

Best Answers:
    That sure brings back some memories. Over the last several years I've been working for a couple of the biggest Web Hosting companies in the world, and during that time I have seen a lot of BAD websites. Unfortunately I can't remember them as I've seen so many. But man some of them can be pretty bad.

I've seen multiple people build their website in Microsoft Word. I've even came across 90 year olds who either had websites or were trying to build websites. Although, I must say the worst websites I've ever seen were created in Frontpage or custom coded by people who don't know how to code, nor use graphics/images for their template.were created.

TimothyEyton, Mar 25, 2014 IP
    averyz likes this.
  3. Elena VertaMedia

Elena VertaMedia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Word? That's hilarious:D

Elena VertaMedia, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  4. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can't recall name. But stumbled on quite a few while surfing internet. Even leading scripts are customized to look ridiculous.

meetdilip, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  5. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had one guy that was about 80yrs old who wanted his website "redone" it was built in dreamweaver and a total mess.. different layouts all over, links to deadend pages, strange images pasted here and there, you could tell he just struggled through it all.

So I took his files and dropped his content into a wordpress theme, he wanted the full admin log in so I gave it to him. 2 hours later he called and said he needed this and that, and where is this and that, can you fix this ??? He had made pages, menus and some other nonsense that was all like his last mess..
    I told him I had no idea what he had going on and the only thing I could do was restore the website to what it was before he worked on it.

averyz, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  6. shurpa

shurpa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've seen quite a few websites that hurt the eyes. Mostly design in Frontpage or something similar. A lot of free website builders have horrible looking templates, not near as much nowadays though. Also, most 90's sites, I'm looking at you Geocities.

I like to visit crappydesign.reddit.com and peruse there every now and again. It's almost inspirational.

shurpa, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  7. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rado_ch, Apr 9, 2014 IP
  8. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's like the graveyard/eternal heaven for the 1990s dead .gifs

When you push delete they must go somewhere..?

averyz, Apr 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and Rado_ch like this.
  9. Kathlene Funk

Kathlene Funk Peon

Best Answers:
    I also come across many websites that are badly designed.I just messed up while going through them and forgot what i m looking for:).I just don't understand why people don't go for good website designer,if they don't have a good knowledge of web designing.I recently designed a website for my business from one of the very good designers

Kathlene Funk, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It would be very hard for me to pick any specific site; anything truly bad I pretty much am a instant "bounce and forget". The link in my siggy about "what's wrong with your website" can give you a general idea of when sites piss me off.

Bloated slow loading multi-megabyte monstrousities build from four dozen to hundreds of separate files top the list; even these forums I'm browsing with large amounts of files and content blocked just to make it load sometime this CENTURY -- and it's getting worse and worse as the PSD jockeys piss on websites with their crap that has no business on websites (See 99%+ of the crap on TemplateMonster or ThemeForest), endless pointless scripttard bullshit for NOTHING (see 99% of the crap people put on their sites using idiotic halfwit garbage like jQuery), resulting in megabytes of bloat being used to deliver single digits of actual *SHOCK* content.

Second on my list would be just plain inaccessible design -- from the halfwit jackasses who declare flow text in pixels (aka fixed metric fonts), to fixed width layouts (which even with responsive alternating the fixed widths is garbage!), to illegible color contrasts -- around 80% of what people have the giant set of brass to call a "website" is a useless mess to a LOT of potential users. (Like myself!).

More than anything though, I hate when images that have NOTHING to even do with the topic at hand and endless "Gee ain't it neat" scripttardery is used to basically sweep a complete lack of actual content under the rug; so many sites now have so little actual content or information there is no legitimate reason for them to even exist other than some sort of "feel good" scam to prey on the ignorance of visitors.

Of course given what total sleazeball scam artists run things now from top to bottom; SEO-tards, PSD Jockeys, Script-tards, Affiliate marketing bull, advertising can pay for everything idiocy -- this is hardly surprising. It's quite literally the worst of the late '90's pre dot-com burst all over again; which is why I get the feeling bubble burst 2.0 is looming on the horizon. I've seen ALL this **** before, and I know where it lead to last time.

OF course with even the W3C on the bandwagon for "everything '90's is NEW!" with the idiotic halfwit train wreck of bull known as HTML 5 sending development practices back to the worst of HTML 3.2...

deathshadow, Apr 18, 2014 IP