1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is is legal to make a movie fansite?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Bobbx, Mar 7, 2014.

I would like to make a movie fansite, but I am not sure if it is legal to use the movie's name, images, gifs from the movie and things like that.
    I would like to place 1-2 adsense units on the site (and maybe an Amazon affiliate unit) to make some revenue.

So is it legal to place Adsense ads on a site like this? Is it even legal to own a site like this?

Bobbx, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  2. legalbrain

legalbrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am a Technology and IP Lawyer and it is not Illegal to make a fansite however it must be obvious it is not an official fansite, like having in bracket beside the title " (not Official), you can then place adsense ads.

legalbrain, Mar 17, 2014 IP
    omgcats likes this.
  3. Bobbx

Bobbx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much! Are you sure that it won't be a problem that I am using copyrighted material? (I mean images, quotes, gifs) I read everywhere that Adsense ads can not be placed on a site with copyrighted material. That's why I am totally puzzled. I really don't want to lose my Adsense account, because this is my only income.

Bobbx, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  4. YJunK

YJunK Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're allowed to use promotional materials such as images quotes and gifs. Also, if you're going to be using video, make sure you embed something from youtube instead of posting bits from the film yourself.
    As legalbrain said, be sure to state somewhere that the fan page is not official.

YJunK, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  5. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  6. legalbrain

legalbrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When you use copyrighted material, it is advisable to seek the permission, however it is not so practical, but you could get a bargain by providing credits to the owner, it will also depend on how much of the copyrighted information will contribute to the site etc.
    Another aspect is you can use the free resources available.

legalbrain, Mar 19, 2014 IP