1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm very passionate about writing, but a certain style of writing.

I like doing research and crafting content that people want to read but the issue for myself and I'm sure for many other writers is finding a steady steam of clients that are willing to pay adequately for that content. For the price that a lot of people want to pay flat out, there's no possible feasible way to include research, spell checking or editing into the writing process. How long can you honestly spend on a $5-$10 article?

When I'm paid enough to actually do the research, it's fun because I get to learn something new in the process and I like learning.

Did you know that the real story of Rudy is nowhere near how it was depicted in the movie? I enjoyed doing an article on movies that were based on true stories where the stories were altered to sell more and shocked myself to hear that some of the movies I loved had completely different stories than what we saw on the big screen. I was paid a decent amount for the content as well.

I don't even call myself a "content writer" anymore, I've found it better to say that I'm a "content developer." I don't like the idea of just churning out content, I like the idea of developing content that people will actually enjoy reading and that takes an enormous amount of effort and time. I prefer to write content that gets lots of comments on blogs, not content that will pass for "Ezine Articles" acceptable. People just blab on about 500 words of fluff on Ezines to get content on there.

coreygeer, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  2. impishme84

impishme84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess for me as a writer it is the deadline that puts me back to work..
    Whether I have any family issues or a fight with my boy friend, I wouldn't want to lose on my reputation to client by giving them bad writing. So no matter how low I'm or just want to take a day off to get myself pampered, yet I have to take care of my assignments and finish them at the promised TAT. :eek:

impishme84, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I very much doubt that there isn't a single writer here who cannot relate to what you wrote. Yes indeed, the dreaded deadline. The problem is that clients often move the goalposts in the middle of the game as well as the rules that govern it. So keeping deadlines was always a challenge for me when the agenda was constantly evolving to the clients whims!

Spoiltdiva, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  4. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If there are not deadlines I never finish anything :) Deadline is the ultimate tool which force me to move my ass forward :p If I have 5 days for 5 articles, be sure on Friday Night I am writing all 5 in one moment :p It is like art of performance - I always do the best work only under pressure. I had 1 year to complete my thesis back in college days and I did all job (without help or copying single line from books) it in the last week.

Auxi, Feb 1, 2014 IP
    Vlasic and Spoiltdiva like this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not only that but a deadline is the ultimate tool for teaching a strong work ethic.;)

Auxi likes this.
  6. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Generally I don't, I only do it when I am in the mood, I make much better content that way

dedideals, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If I was to only write when I was in the mood then I would have had to find another way to increase my income. Clients who pay $$$ aren't going to wait for their product until I am in the mood to write. It doesn't quite work that way in the *real world*.
    However in *Fantasy Land* I would write only when I feel like it and clients would smile and understand.;)

8. Repucaution

Repucaution Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should learn how to abstract away from your problems so that they won't impede you while writing. And also as was written before you should make yourself write anything and then the writing process will become easier.

Repucaution, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  9. Ethics

Ethics Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if you feel like you cannot do it, slog through the bad moods and learn to rise above them to excel in your writing.

Ethics, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If only that were as easy as it appears in your post. It really does take a strong disciplined mind to ignore ones problems and freely write without a care in the world. It is possible but isn't easy. I prefer to use my problems as subject or topic matter whenever pertinent.
    @Ethics
    First off that is a very good username. The "bad moods" add the spice of passion to the writers meal. And what would a good meal be without the spice?

Spoiltdiva, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  11. Ethics

Ethics Peon

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva
    Very true about negative moods being spice for your writing; it can certainly help or hinder it - when I write, I tell myself that I am in my own little writing bubble. Everything that I am feeling is still around me and can seep in and influence my work, but I have to deliberately decide and act on how much or how little spice I allow into my words.

And, of course, letting your problems fuel your work makes for great stream of conscious work as well; Kerouac sat down for a week on amphetamines, a long roll of paper, a typewriter, and he emerged with "On The Road".

Ethics, Feb 7, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  12. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the sake of the different situations (and so that I can contribute something new to the thread: i hope this part is small enough :-p ), let us assume that 1)there is no mood to write and 2) there is no time to "lay back" or do something different).. God, I have been in too many such situations :oops:. Anyways, what I do at such times is concentrate on writing a straightforward copy, just concentrating on keeping the grammar intact. Even if the copy comes back from the client with a note of "want something better", by that time I am ready ;-)

TDI-MAD, Mar 3, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    So your solution is to bang something out when not in the mood to write and hopefully by the time it comes back to be edited, you will then be in the mood.
    Actually I have done this many times and guess what? It worked so very good suggestion. Logical when one thinks of it as mood(s) are transient in nature, are they not?

Spoiltdiva, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  14. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    They absolutely are! In fact, sometimes they have speeds where the word "transient" falls short on miles/hour in defining them :p. Also, whether someone likes it or not, clients do not care what mood your writer is in. They just want the project completed in the stipulated time. Additionally, sometimes even when the writer is "in the mood" and writes something maverick and thinks, "Hmm... I like what I have written", there is still the possibility that the client may want modifications. Given this situation, it would not be logical for a website content writer or copywriter to wait for the correct mood to return. The project may no longer be there with the agency he is serving, till that time.

TDI-MAD, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  15. TDI India

TDI India Active Member

Best Answers:
    Watch a video or listen to something that is related to the topic in anyway. I am of course assuming that if you are not in the mood to write, you are not in the mood to read as well. But watching something (say on youtube) may help get you back on track. This is my card up the sleeve. ;)

TDI India, Mar 13, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Good workable suggestion, this is what this thread needs. I have done what you suggested many times in order to motivate myself, thanks for your contribution.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  17. Simple Programmer

Simple Programmer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I find that it can help to start with a brainstorming session.
    When I don't feel like writing or I don't have any good ideas, I'll just start creating an outline and brainstorming every kind of point I could talk about in it.
    After about 15 minutes, I end up feeling like I have a lot of ideas and I usually feel like writing.

Another thing that I will do is to have a pretend conversation with myself about the topic I am going to write about.
    Sounds a little silly, but I'll just go back and forth with myself taking different sides of an argument until I've sort of hashed it out.

Simple Programmer, Mar 16, 2014 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I've had those kind of conversations with myself and they usually turn out something like this: "Get real, that is crap content! Check your spelling and grammar you idiot!" I always end up with the firm conclusion that I am lousy at conversation.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  19. TDI India

TDI India Active Member

Best Answers:
    Happy to contribute :). and thanks for the like. Much obliged!

TDI India, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  20. itsMrsWhite2

itsMrsWhite2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will admit there have been plenty of times in recent months where I just have not felt like writing. Various different illness, stressful situations and family bereavements, add to that the fact that I am a mother of three with my youngest being at home most of the time and it does get difficult. However if I find I am struggling I will write in short spurts, I write a paragraph and then go and complete a household chore such as loading the washing machine or sometimes I will do a short ten minute work out which pumps me up a bit. Evenings are the best time for me to write as my children are in bed and my husband is lost in the world of Xbox One! lol

itsMrsWhite2, Mar 22, 2014 IP