1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Crossfit wants to sue me

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by jimmyjohn4773, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can be, especially if you're seen trying to ride off one's trademark rights. It
    really depends on the situation.

Dave Zan, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  2. cheeky002

cheeky002 Peon

Best Answers:
    did you get sued officially and was there a filed case?

cheeky002, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  3. Digital_Master

Digital_Master Peon

Best Answers:
    If you bothered to read the last few pages, you'd realize that he didn't..

Digital_Master, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  4. cheeky002

cheeky002 Peon

Best Answers:
    o, i did read the last few pages, in fact, i answered. I wanted to see an update if anything happened. haha. like maybe he can't type anymore because he got his arm borkened.

cheeky002, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  5. EsSeeOh

EsSeeOh Peon

Best Answers:
    EsSeeOh, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  6. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a bullying tactic to get you overwhelm to freely hand over your registered domain out of fear since your registered domain has new york in domain name. Consult with IP lawyer who has expertise in US trademark and international trademark law for legal advise and to send Crossfit a reply to their demand. Tell them to go hell. :mad:

muffet, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  7. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is no bullying, whatsoever.

The company owns the TM on the term crossfit.

I am saying it here, like I said it on many occasions elsewhere on this forum ----->>> You cannot register a domain with a company's trademark in it and think you will be able to run a website successfully. At some point in time the company will realize this and they will exercise their rights in protecting their trademark.

Stay away from domain names that has trademarks as part of the domain. You will lose your domain and business if you have an established website!

You can have a look - no one has ever won a case where a trademark has been used in a domain. The domain will simply be transferred away from you and you will be sued for all legal costs.

Rian, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  8. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    Whoa, slow down there. There have been cases where the domain's registrant won even with
    the trademark in it, especially those used non-commercially.

As especially experienced domain-trademark lawyers would say, it depends.

Dave Zan, Apr 18, 2012 IP
  9. BestySEO

BestySEO Member

Best Answers:
    I've had run ins with similar stuff to this before.... "Cross fit" - Thats basically a session on fixed exercises and weight lifting etc isn't it?

I can't see how anyone has a TM for crossfit, its just too generic.. Like trying to TM the word "chocolate".. It reeks of bullshit.

BestySEO, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I can see how you could trademark the phrase - and good on the guy for doing it

Could explain why these are dropped

upload_2014-3-11_20-39-39.png

sarahk, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  11. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hahaha - I was about to say that this thread is 6 years old, so it's kind of irrelevant & then... I seen that it was you & you're one of the admins...

thsadmin, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I wasn't the first to bump it either :)

I saw those crossfit domains had come up the other day and thought it would be tricky to take them on so when I saw this thread...

I wonder how @jimmyjohn4773 got on - he obviously didn't feel at home here, his post count hasn't risen much over the last 5 years.

The sad thing is that it isn't really irrelevant. I just saw a guy trying to flog appleiwear and wondering why he's having no joy. People have to learn that these big companies can sue you for the hell of it and you don't want to be on the receiving end - being right is cold comfort when you lose your house, your money and your peace of mind.

sarahk, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  13. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, I didn't chose my words wisely, I was meaning something along the lines of... "I don't know why you guys are commenting, the threads 6 years old" haha. But I seen another dude hear selling "discoverychannel.info" & I was thinking the same thing - I wonder what legal issues that would have. Otherwise it's an OK domain for a few bucks. https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...40-000-mo-searches-valuated-at-1-000.2710644/

thsadmin, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I saw that one and thought wtf.

There was a guy trying to use wemolightswitches which is apparently a belkin brand. Now, wemo I could do something with. Chuck light switches on the end and there is no doubt in anyones mind that you're trying to leverage off them. The tragic thing was the guy thought he'd be doing Belkin a favour by setting up a dropshipping site of their product.

sarahk, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  15. maxitrol

maxitrol Member

Best Answers:
    if i were you i would try to trademark "crossfitnewyork" right now. it will cost you $500 but then they cant do anything.

maxitrol, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  16. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it is a bullying tactic, in no way they can sue you for having a domain name close to what their company is called, the only thing you cannot do and that's would be the only legal reason they might win a fight is that if you use that domain to do the exact same business, I haven't read their business but let say if they are in computer things and you site is about sports, and even then, if no trademark is deposited, they won't be able to do anything, also, have a look at their registration date and yours, if you have registered that domain before them, it's even harder for them to proof you are copying their business, then they can always f**k off, don't even be bothered answering their email or just something like: I know the law about domain names and if you fancy going to court go ahead just beware not getting trapped in your own net when we get there.

You won't probably ever heard about them.

IG2010, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  17. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    Think of every other famous product or service, some of which we use but hardly think about, that uses a so-called generic word.

Apple.

Tide.

Windows.

Pizza Hut.

Head and shoulders.

The list goes on and on.

CrossFit is using the term/s as a trademark for selling exercising (or fitness) equipment at least, rather than maybe the generic description of being "cross fit". Whatever that generic description is.

He he, too late if you hadn't noticed the date this thread began. Even if the OP did, CrossFit can object to that at the relevant court or so.

Whatever your feelings about this thing, unfortunately they don't reflect reality:

http://blog.pattishall.com/2014/01/17/crossfit-cybersquatter-gets-dealt-multiple-blows/

From the link by another poster, CrossFit is quite aggressive on enforcing their trademark rights. You can always try them if you want to maybe put your post to the test, rather than tell others what -- unfortunately -- isn't true.

(Yes, I know this thread is old.

I gave my opinion above so others -- despite how they feel about this thing -- at least know how not to get into trouble with CrossFit, if ever. Unless, of course, others fancy living dangerously. YOLO and all that.)

Dave Zan, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  18. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Three things.

First, I've read through all the pages....all the way to end....so I could find out how all this turned out! Dang it! Does anyone know whether or not the cross fit guy got in trouble for threatening the OP's family? I assume the domain was transferred, just judging by all the other people who were ordered to hand them over. I read some posts elsewhere after this thread piqued my interest.

Secondly, why the hell don't these companies buy all the domain names they want in the first place? If you (the royal you, as in you or I) buy an available domain name, it should BE an available domain name. Until I read this thread, I had no idea that someone could legally steal a domain you purchased. I'd just figured that if it wasn't legal, it wouldn't be available. I know better, now, so thank-you for that!

Thirdly, Karma has perhaps repaid Mr. Glassman. Apparently, HE was sued last week by a transgender.

Also, he is getting divorced and his soon-to-be ex-wife is trying to sell her half of cross fit to a competitor. I don't know how old this source article is, may be history by now. Glassman negotiated further with his wife. :)

A string of bad luck seemed to find him. I read a couple of write ups about his techniques causing serious kidney problems, too.

He sounds like a real sweetheart, doesn't he?

Annea, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  19. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    At the least, some online searches suggest the domain name has been transferred to a CrossFit-certified trainer. I guess nothing happened with the family-threat thing, and everyone moved along.

That's because companies can't realistically buy all domain name variations of their trademark. Even Microsoft, one of the most protective trademark holders in the planet, can't in spite of their vast resources.

Like anything else, there are just certain things we can and can't really do -- the latter if it maybe overreaches someone's established material rights. In this case, one can't use a domain name that (potentially) exploits someone's trademark right.

The OP somewhat learned that the hard way, but he seems to be okay nonetheless.

From what I just read, Glassman seems to now have 100% ownership of CrossFit. You can still register a domain name bearing CrossFit to maybe criticize or poke fun of him or his company, just not make money off of them.

Dave Zan, Mar 15, 2014 IP
  20. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My biggest takeaway on all of this is....make sure a root domain name is not trademarked. Somehow.

@Dave Zan - thank-you for info and for explaining!

Annea, Mar 15, 2014 IP