1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can anyone guide me how can i become an established member?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by sweet_ria, Feb 25, 2014.

Can anyone guide me how can i become an established member so that I can post threads?

sweet_ria, Feb 25, 2014 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Information regarding established membership can be found here.

To become establised members need to help contribute to the knowledge base found on the forum by participating, sharing, and helping others.

Smyrl, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to DP newbie. What you need to do is to receive 3 likes from 3 different members. You do this by commenting and offering your opinions. You can give advice if the topic pertains to something that you are knowledgeable about. You can also try using bit of humor from time to time.
    Good luck on this and get busy getting those 3 likes.:)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  4. garry420

garry420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well the minimum requirement for established member is 3 likes from different members..that u might have already know as told by friend above..but now question is how to get it ?
    well as far as i have just been researching on the topic how to get likes
    its very simple ..just post quality posts which is unique and give information and knowledge to other guys.
    and likes will follow
    you can get likes by helping other members by guiding them with solutions ..
    Moral: if you help others ..others may help you...possibly just like karma ..what goes around comes back at you
    thanks

garry420, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  5. phptechie

phptechie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Though it might seem pretty tough & complex , it is actually easier to get established if you really spend sometime here in DP replying to other member's requests & solving their problems. You need not be an expert in providing the actual solution , but you can aid him in finding a solution.

Try helping people in the following sections of DP
    Reviews
    Support & Feedback
    Business & Marketing

When you help them without expecting anything in return , people would definitely like you (not only here in DP , it applies to anywhere)
    but in-order to do that you should put in some time & effort & you dont have to rely on anyone

Best of luck to get established here in DP :)

phptechie, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I completely agree but if it is so "very simple" for you, then where are all your likes?:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Mar 6, 2014 IP
    iamalive and mmerlinn like this.
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    LMAO. Wow, I didn't think you had it in you.

dcristo, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  8. garry420

garry420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its simple but time consuming..and i have very little time..it needs research and putting together research to share the information
    thanks for trying to pull my legs
    :)

garry420, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  9. Tiger54321

Tiger54321 Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Welcome to DP.U can b an established member by having atleast 3 likes.Keep helping and posting to get likes.:)

Tiger54321, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  10. corporatemanager

corporatemanager Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all the advice.
    Hope to catch up with you guys.
    Cheers.

corporatemanager, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  11. digdogger

digdogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been a member for years and still can't post in buy-sell-trade. It's crazy. Yes, I've commented on lots of things. I bought things here. But, yet, I can't post.

Becoming an established member can be very hard if people don't like you ;-(

digdogger, Nov 13, 2015 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Yes I get that and fully understand where you're coming from. It must not seem fair to you at all. I believe the reasons for the establishment rule was not to put out members like you. But that I suppose is a downside to it. But you've only posted 90 or so posts in all those years. Maybe become more active and those 3 likes *will* come your way.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 13, 2015 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's fairly easy to get likes. It does, however, mean you'll have to involve yourself in threads where there is people both asking questions and asking for help, AND provide good answers. Personally, I joined 2 years after you, and I have over 350 likes - mostly because I contribute to the forum, and don't just use the buy/sell/trade-sections.
    Granted, I'm one of the more active members, my post count is quite a bit higher than yours - but my suggestion is that you find a subforum (or two, or three) where you have knowledge, and provide some good content there - help people, answer questions, provide some tutorials - and people will like your posts.

PoPSiCLe, Nov 14, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow and Spoiltdiva like this.
  14. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    For those of you who cannot get "likes" here is my story, and how I accidentally became an established member:

I was a member for about 2 years, posting helpful advice where I could (i.e. when I actually knew something about the subject) and adding to a few conversations. I was not here daily, or even weekly, but now and again I'd pop up here being friendly and helpful. And I was polite, I bit my lip when I got angry, I tried never to piss anyone off.

And for this I got no likes whatsoever.

Then I had the month from hell. I was in a bad mood for weeks, spitting blood and angry with the world. In attempt to calm myself down I spent a lot of time in chat rooms and on forums. This did not work. Being in a bad mood I was no longer polite. I picked on threads which annoyed me, replied in anger, and was occasionally damn right rude. This made me unpopular on most boards, and I regret it.

The one exception is here. Those "angry" posts got me likes. I went from having no likes to eight likes in about a week. Since then I have calmed down and gone back to posting nice polite helpful posts. And I got no more likes whatsoever! My like count is still 8.

So in short, if you want to become an established member, you have got to first become a dick. Post in anger. Tell people that they are wrong, that they should not be allowed to post here, that they should probably not even be allowed oxygen. They will hate you, but others will like you and you will soon get enough likes to become an established member!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    ecchi, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That is probably not the real story. The reality is doubtless because you posted with passion and spoke your mind. When you tell it like it is as opposed to what the other member wishes to hear people will respond and the likes will come. Rudeness or anger has very little to do with it.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 26, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  16. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    That is useful, must remember that. Next time someone pulls me up for being a dick (usually when I'm drunk) I'll tell them that I'm just "talking with passion and speaking my mind." And I'll tell them you said so. :)

ecchi, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  17. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I'm not polite (well, sometimes I am, but mostly not). @deathshadow, which is probably the rudest person on this forum, is not polite either. But we DO tell the truth, and we provide examples and code that solves people's problems (@deathshadow more than me, I have other things to do as well :D) - being nice and polite is... well, not wrong, but it won't make you stand out in any way. Unless you're a code-god, and polite, it probably won't get you that many likes. But if you do, as @Spoiltdiva said, speak with passion, have a decent grasp of English, and can provide something to the forum, it be examples of good code, fixing people's problems, or just linking people to the right place, it will give you likes.

Granted, quite a few users doesn't seem to get the "mark answer" or "like"-functions - which always makes me think they've never been on a forum before. But then I'm an old, grumpy dinosaur, and have probably been online longer than some of these people have been speaking full sentences.

PoPSiCLe, Nov 27, 2015 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not sure if you guys are or aren't. But one thing is for sure and that is you are both highly entertaining and informative. And neither one of you is ever boring.;)

Spoiltdiva, Nov 27, 2015 IP
    PoPSiCLe likes this.
  19. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Aw, thanks ;) And see, just for that, you got another like ;) (Another tip: it also helps buttering up people!)

PoPSiCLe, Nov 27, 2015 IP
  20. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Smyrl posted what you need to know -- you've already got the easy part done, you've been a member for more than 48 hours. The trick is getting likes...

Likes are easy for some, hard for others -- I had over 5000 posts before they even HAD a like system here, giving me one of the highest ratios (nearly 2:1) that you'll find on these forums... I got that three ways:

1) Be entertaining. Throw a little colour in there, make comparisons using simile's... and don't use language with a niggard hand. Clear intelligible language instead of the "Engrish moist goodry" typically found by mediocre "me too" one-post-wonders can go a long ways.

Personally I'm sick to death of the politically correct halfwits who get their knickers in a twist every time I mention hooker headers, Wankel engines, having just cleared an assart that was filled with shittah, parallelizing sexagesm coordinates, or worse people who don't support hemophilia as a lifestyle choice!

2) Be honest, to blazes if that honesty "offends" anybody. There's too much blowing smoke up people's asses, slapping rose coloured glasses on people's heads, to lead them down the garden path to sing kumbaya around the drum circle. Do not niggle about worrying about feelings as that type of namby pamby limp wristed metro-sexual effete tofu eating bull typically means the "offended" person has never worked for a real business. 99% of the time people say "It's not what you said but how you said it" can instantly be dismissed as bullshit. It's EXACTLY what you said and "wah, wah, wah, I don't want to hear it!"

Just look at all the ass-kissing sycophants or laid-back stoner ***'s on other web development forums like those that also have "point" in their name -- where the over-moderation is based on that their forums aren't about helping others, but is instead about selling their overpriced books filled with nube-predating scam artist manure. Joe forbid you point out their writers and staff are full of it.

I'm a bit like Gordon Ramsey or Simon Cowell on that account; most all the people who take offense to them wouldn't last a year running their own business either. It's a bit like what George said about profanity in the military:

"When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag.

As for the types of comments I make... Sometimes I just, by God, get carried away with my own eloquence."

3) ACTUALLY TRY TO HELP OTHERS!!! - This is often the hardest for new members to do, particularly if you are just here for the scam artist hives of scum and villainy in a forums like SEO or Buy/sell/trade... It's VERY easy if you know something that others might need help with to get likes; be it programming, server administration, even just helping people with their artwork in the graphics area. If you have a skill others lack or are further along in your skills than others, getting likes is easy, just spend 20-30 minutes or more a day trying to help others.

It's VERY hard to do if you don't have a skill others lack or haven't progressed your skills past that of others.

You can clearly see this if you go into areas like "general business" which is filled with users that have maybe 20-100 posts and not a single like. Or buy/sell/trade where 100:1 ratios of posts to likes is the norm. Even the Google discussion area it's not unusual to see users with thousands of posts that have maybe two dozen likes... It's just not a place where a lot of "help" goes on, nor are the posts all that entertaining.

Honestly those areas are filled with so many mouth-breathers I only venture into there when another users directly asks my opinion on a post. Part of why 95% or so of my time on these forums is spent in HTML/CSS and the programming areas. I wouldn't even have seen this thread if @PoPSiCLe hadn't mentioned me using the @ function.

... and look at my results; I'm foul mouthed, don't care who I offend, and am so brutally frank my posts have likely sent some people running away in tears -- BUT since they added the like system I've got nearly 1200 likes in 2500 posts. This is because I don't sugar coat it, I don't rap, I don't jibe, instead I tell you what you need to hear regardless of if you WANT to hear it.

THAT'S called helping... something that FRIENDS do for each-other; only a friend can get away with telling you "Christmas on a cracker you stink, take a shower buddy!". Platitudes with plastered on smiles and politically correct language is disingenuous -- Typically the indication of a lazy mind, weak acumen or a duplicitous agenda.

But I'm a back woods New Englander, 'Yah cahnt geht theyah frum heeyah' isn't a catchphrase, it's a way of life.

deathshadow, Nov 27, 2015 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.