1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Brandable Domains OverHyped?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by starsilver, Mar 3, 2014.

We decided to get into hand regging 5 & 6 letter brandable dot coms domains for the last year and would like to know what your thoughts are on the future potential in this niche?

Is this just another bubble or will brandables have lasting power especially with all the new gtld's etc upcoming?

dropor.com

starsilver, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  2. samnugro

samnugro Active Member

Best Answers:
    As long as the domain is still readable, easy to remember and have a dot com extension, it will have a future, IMHO.

samnugro, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  3. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    businesses will always need brandable domains, so unless there is some drastic change, there will always be a demand for them. The thing about brandable domains, there's no "real" value to them, you can charge whatever you'd like for sale. If you present it well enough, a serious company ~cannot turn it down.

sweetpea69, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  4. starsilver

starsilver Peon

Best Answers:
    yes its a crap shoot 4 sure with all types of domains be brandable or not

cheers!

dropor.com

starsilver, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  5. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If it's a bubble, it's a pretty frickin' huge one lol. Ask anyone outside the domaining/website world what .guru or .diamond is, and they will have absolutely no idea. Hell, most people still don't know what a .info is and that's been around how long? To keep it simple, brandable .coms will always be demand. It's a simple supply and demand type deal. .Coms are already the ~most valuable, so 5 and 6 letter brandables will only be going up in value. Take a look at brandbucket.com, they list there .coms for 500 - 5k (w/ high "reported" sales).

If you were to invest in any domain for the price of registration, I personally think brandable .coms are the safest way to go (albeit; diversity is safe). At least that's my opinion. While I have a few of the new gtlds, I think the majority of them are largely stupid ;)

sweetpea69, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  6. starsilver

starsilver Peon

Best Answers:
    bubble may have been a bad word 4 sure to use describing brandables lol

u r so right on the .com issue tho as thats all we hand reg now if we can find some semi decent 5 & 6 letter left but with brandables its certainly a fun way to use your imagination and to attempt to make some $ selling them.

we have just issued bb and namerific a number of domains so we are awaiting their review if any accepted

we have about 80 brandables listed at our beta site we started about 2 months ago at Dropor.com but to get to goog page 1 -2 these days is super tough so we are expanding to bb and namerific now.

sedo is getting traffic but not many bids so maybe our prices are out of line? pricing is so nebulous on brandables or should we say any domain as to how much to list for

thx for the input btw!

cheers

starsilver, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  7. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Branded domains are only as good as the backlinks they get surrounding the name. Trying to flip branded links is more difficult since variations in spelling and words, which is common and easy with branded domains, means if you don't have a price the buyer wants they can more easily go register a new domain. You're squatting on a domain in the hopes that a buyer is *reeeaallly* attached to that exact one or has a vested interest in it.

Derek Land, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes and No, in my opinion. The thing with brandable domains is that they are as valuable as you can make them. Leaving aside traffic, content, backlinks, solely speaking about the actual domain name. If you have a catchy idea about the domain and you present the idea in a compelling way to parties that might be interested, chances are you are going to get a deal. True that the actual price tag you can put on the domain is something harder to determine, but this is how you gain experience - you will certainly sell some domains under their real value but you will learn and be more effective for future ones.

Talking about "bubbles" (or whatever term you wish to use), I'd say that brandable domains are as far from that as possible. Good keyword domains are already taken and new gTLD's are far from getting a good position on the market. Now is the right time for sly foxes to exploit them, but you will certainly have to overcome some obstacles until you learn the proper way to do it ;)

Rado_ch, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Brandable domain names will always be valuable. A LLLLLL.com that everyone can remember is great.

I would rather dump hundreds or thousands of hours into a nice brand then into a LLLLLL-LLLLLLLL-LLLLLLL.com. Which one would you pay more for ?

It is hard to find a real word that is brandable in .com anymore. I always see people on here with stuff like KLbrpn.com that just like throwing a cat on the keyboard it is just gibberish, no matter how hard you pretend.

averyz, Mar 5, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  10. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find that brandable domains are far easier to flip than generic 1 word domains. After all, i'm it flipping it, not investing in it. As long it its in the positive, I really don't care what the profit is.

sweetpea69, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  11. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Having experience and connections can make you more money in just about everything, though. My point wasn't that branded links are bad, not at all - any domain, EMD of brand, is only as good as what you do with it. In that regard, there's a wider "ready to buy" audience for the EMDs, even if it's making less and less difference lately.

Derek Land, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  12. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, we are pretty much talking about the same thing here :D

Rado_ch, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  13. starsilver

starsilver Peon

Best Answers:
    ow lots of great opinions and info on this topic. At least there are alot more sane people here with something decent to contribute on this forum unlike np i found has been indundated with alot of newbies and wannabes with little substance it seems, lots of folks jumping ship too i think due to that possibly.

anyhow brandables can be fun to make and sell if priced accordingly but as many of u mentioned prices is always th sticking point 4 sure. maybe a website that appraises brandables is in order as estibot sure doesnt help in that regard we've found

sedo also gives $ suggestions but everyone we enter they sure lowball the values , not sure how that system works tho. every domain is either $249-$949 on average it seems, even keyword brandables.

crazee business 4 sure. we are also into 4d domains as its a new market but not brandable in any sense
    other than 3D24D.com which is a cross type of domain not sure what to categorize it as.

cheers!

dropor.com

starsilver, Mar 5, 2014 IP