1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pre-Register .directory domain

Discussion in 'Directories' started by gp305, Jan 11, 2014.

Name.com is now accepting pre-orders for .directory domains. Go to https://www.name.com/

gp305, Jan 11, 2014 IP
    sunilmamo likes this.
  2. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder how much value that would have. Anyone actually going to pay $120 to $200 a year for these domain names?

Nima, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  3. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    that expensive price for domain name

Master Directory, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  4. gp305

gp305 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The price is only $24.95
    http://www.101domain.com/directory.htm

For certain niche directories this would be well worth it.

gp305, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nima, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  6. gp305

gp305 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The $120 setup is for trademark owners only (i.e. yahoo.directory) everyone else pays $24.95 (Name.com is actually cheaper, only $22.99)

gp305, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The new TLD's that come along benefit one group of people.. the registrars that are selling them. Its another way to get a short term boost out of people overpaying for something no one is going to want 6 months down the road. There's no value in it. Never was. If they'd have just maintained the rule set / RFC as listed in the first addition of "DNS and BIND", where as .net was network providers (ISP, NAP, Hosting, etc) .com was commercial entities (corporations, businesses, etc..) .org was non-profit organizations (churches, civic groups, charities) and .edu was accredited degree granting institutions we'd be a lot better off.. Less confusion, bs and dead/parked/hyjacked crappy domains.

Mia, Jan 23, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. Niche.Directory

Niche.Directory Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is no putting the genie back in the bottle. By the end of next year there will be a couple of hundred new top level domains. That makes the intuitive ones, like .DIRECTORY .APP .BLOG all the more valuable.

Tell me that Quicken Loans or Bank of America wouldn't love to own Mortgage.Directory or Loan.Directory.

In a year from now domain names like Wedding.Directory are going to be absolute 'no-brainers'

Niche.Directory, Feb 21, 2014 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I saw the first phpLD yesterday running with the new .directory extension. Maybe it will prove interesting. In my opinion as there are more TLDs it dilutes the value of a domain name somewhat, but also makes it a little easier to get the words that best describe you in your name, and that can be a good thing.

dvduval, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  10. Bedwan

Bedwan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think its worth it, more extensions will pop up soon and more will be invented every year.

Long story short, its the big domain companies milking the internet users.

Call me old fasion but im also used to short extensions, longest I know is 4 letters which is .info

Now they are using full words as extensions, and there are over 1 million words in the english dictionary, so you see where im going :)

They already failed with this launch, since many great domains are still available and no one is taking it. Only the generic and one word domains are taken, which is normal in the domain name market.

In other words, if you compare it to ".EU" launch, its a big fail!

Bedwan, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

Better yet, DOT Directory, will be a great way for Google to filter out "directories" entirely ;)

Mia, Feb 27, 2014 IP
    tornado! likes this.
  12. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing!

tornado!, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's just me but...Google says they don't like exact match domains and sees them as spammy. So ICANN does what?

YMC, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Some of us had our domains before Google...

Mia, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I pick my names because they make sense for the site. Keywords are a bonus but not the priority. Branding is more important.

Google is so focussed on people trying to "game their system" that they overlook decisions based upon good old-fashioned marketing. Seems to me anyone selecting one of those domains is going to be assumed guilty by G.

YMC, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Google is the one that gave us instructions on how to bilk their advertisers out of thousands for over a decade.... Now they cry foul when they start to recognize that the revenue stream and advertisers is no shrinking because all advertisers are doing is paying for clicks and views and are not getting leads and sales in return.

Mia, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True. But, I also think too many of the advertisers seem to think their job ends when the get someone to click on their ad. Too many of them are blaming what is essentially an affiliate for not being able to close the sale. It's far easier to whine to Google that their ads aren't converting than to take a hard and honest look at their own sites and invest in content that actually converts.

YMC, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    For several years google sent me pictures of some of our larger sites and gave me illustrations showing me exactly where to place ads and how to place them just so they would be clicked. Its kinda hard to expect and advertiser to convert a sale off of PPC when most of those clicks were usually completely unintentional. As for an affiliate and converting those sales? That's a completely different animal. There's usually a process post landing page and information collected from that user in the form of a LEAD post click. The PPC model? They click and go. No way to capture or convert that lead, much less get the lead to begin with.

Advertisers are recognizing this now and realize that impressions and PPC do not work like a billboard. I could pay $1000 per month for a billboard and tens of thousands of people will see it. They are not all qualified leads, but I am not really paying $1000 for each of them to look at that ad. I am paying $1000 to advertise to that mass audience as a whole. If I convert one or two leads that turn into sales each month it's doing its job.

Google on the other hand expects you to use your ad as a billboard where by every driver that comes along can see the ad and choose to click on that add and you in turn pay for every driver that clicks that ad whether they convert or not.

That model works for publishers and google, not the advertisers.

Mia, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  19. Niche.Directory

Niche.Directory Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    IF Google really wants to give users of their search engine the most intuitive, functional and responsive results, THEN the .DIRECTORY, .PHOTOGRAPHY, .BLOG, etc. websites will rank according to consumer value, not according to how many back links they have compared to some crappy web 1.0 site from 1997.

Ditto for Bing/Yahoo.

Incidentally, Google and Microsoft have both acquired the rights to a few of the new generic Top Level Domains themselves.

Niche.Directory, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Seems to me that anything not ".com, .net, .org., .edu or .gov" should likely be ignored. The TLD additions are nothing more than revenue generators for those selling them. ;)

Mia, Mar 10, 2014 IP