1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bing Webmaster Tools - Important for Indexing?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Foxxy, Feb 5, 2014.

I've always used Google Webmaster Tools, but never gave Bing any thought. I never use that search engine, so it didn't cross my mind. Last night I decided to check how many pages I had indexed in the big 3 (after submitting a sitemap on Google about a month ago).

Google: 9,100+ pages
    Bing: 10 pages
    Yahoo: 4 pages

I was a bit shocked by the difference. I figured Google would have the lead since they have my sitemap, but I didn't expect it to be such a dramatic difference.

Obviously, as soon as I saw this my first action was to sign in to Bing's webmaster tools and upload the link to my xml sitemap. Hopefully that will take care of things.

Until then, I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks there is a better option for getting pages indexed there, or is the Webmaster Tools option the best way to go?

Foxxy, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  2. MallofStyle

MallofStyle Member

Best Answers:
    google usually indexes on its own. Sitemaps help...
    however with bing you need one of the three:
    1. sitemap
    2. URL submission through webmasters
    3. external backlink to the page you would like to get indexed.

MallofStyle, Feb 11, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  3. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im pretty sure you can submit your sitemap with bing webmaster tools, which is essentially yahoo webmaster tools

ash1ey82, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  4. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since I first started this thread two weeks ago and submitted my sitemap to Bing, my results have changed to:

Google: 17,400 pages (+8,300)
    Bing: 47 Pages (+37)
    Yahoo: 47 Pages (+43)

So while I've gained a little ground, it is still essentially the same when compared to the leap I made in Google. When I look in the Bing Toolbox, it says that it crawled 35,639 pages and indexed 89. I dont see anything to explain why there is such a vast difference between those two numbers, and even at that 89 is still more than the number of pages I see when I search for site:mysite.com.

Foxxy, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  5. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The difference, very well shows how difficult it is to get all pages indexed in the other engines.

ash1ey82, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  6. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I had similar experience with google and Bing and then I submitted XML Sitemaps to both and build some tier 2 backlinks and my websites started to get ranked.

jazzyjmnote, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  7. nixande

nixande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In general it depends on your country which relevance Bing has - for example in Germany Google has 95% search engine traffic.

BUT: Windows 8.1 and everything out of the xbox and cortana as well as phone / nokia corner will come with bing and connected services, big time.

Given how Microsoft has started pushing having their devices and services available on tons of plattform I would start paying more attention to bing. not hardcore stuff, but if you start now with a bit over time, this will be all well once you need it really.

nixande, Apr 18, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.