1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help - Can't Monetize 100k Pageviews

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Uvs, Feb 14, 2014.

Hello everyone,
    I'm having some trouble monetizing my traffic and I'm actually looking for some advice.
    I own only a single website, it is my first attempt at it and I was never into any kind of "make money from Internet" stuff. I just had an idea for a website and I made it hoping to earn some extra monthly cash.
    The website generates about 100000 pageviews every month. The site is a gaming community and it offers news portal, forums and a wiki about a videogame.
    In about 7 months of full activity I earned only 30€ from Google AdSense and literally 0€ from all other networks I've tried (both CPA and CPM).

I've no clue about what I'm doing wrong.
    I lurked a lot of threads on this forums, where people were totally satisfied of their 1000 monthly unique visitors or claimed to make a living from a website with a lower traffic than mine. Obviously the kind of niche, country and ad positioning can change the earnings and the amount of traffic isn't the only thing that matters, but I still can't understand why 100k impressions are worth nearly nothing for me. I don't want to make a living from this activity, but i think with this kind of traffic i should be able to earn something.

Could someone please help me figuring out what I'm doing wrong?
    Thank you.

Extra info:
    -The networks I've tried are: AdSense, Ad2Games and AdCash.
    -The traffic is all organic, I've never paid to get traffic.
    -The website is not in english.

Uvs, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  2. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If I'm not wrong, Google Adsense has one of the best payouts. I'm puzzled because your views can definitely get you more than $0.30. I've already gotten nearly a $1 with less than 1,000 views for a 1-month-old website.

Ethan Alvin, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  3. exine

exine Peon

Best Answers:
    Typically with gaming and tech websites, a large number of the visitors (70-80%) will have adblock enabled in their browser. 25% of the people on the web use some sort of ad blocker, and in the gaming niche, that number is raised to +70%...

Now with that many page views you should be earning more than $30, regardless of ad block. Can you post how many visitors you are getting?

exine, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  4. gknugurlu

gknugurlu Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to tell you that CPM will not earn you for your Adsense account. It will give you very little revenue. Surely you are paying most of your money for this type of views. 1000 impressions will only show your website where it's very hard to monetize with Adsense. Second, the CPA is to attract people to click on the link to send them to your site. They already come from an ad. But of course, it's a lot more valuable than CPM. This also will give you low income for your Adsense revenues. If you are using such advertisement, consider monetizing in a different way by promoting products or building list or different kind. CPM return depending on your niche can be very low or even nothing.
    If you had free traffic 100 000 visitors the probability you would earn from Adsense would be very high. And you are in a niche in which there are a lot of competitors and this is what makes it hard to generate free traffic. Surely the amount you have earned is most probably most of it from free traffic and a little from paid one.

gknugurlu, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  5. Uvs

Uvs Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah adblock is probably a problem, but i think even 40/50k "real" impressions should be worth more than 30$ in seven months (4$ every month).

Anyway last month i got 6500 unique visitors.

I quite don't understand your point and i think there was a misunderstanding: i don't pay for the traffic and my website isn't advertised anywhere, 100% of my traffic is free. I don't have 100k visitors, but 100k pageviews. I've tried CPA e CPM networks as publisher and not as advertiser.

Uvs, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  6. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if adsense doesnt' work for you, try for affiliate links

Regards

competent123, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Go to http://www.alexa.com/ and look up all the important stats about your site.

Scroll down to where it says: Bounce rate / Daily page views per visitor / Daily time on site

If your bounce rate is more than 50% - that would be a clear sign that your visitors are not engaged the moment they stop by your site. If they stay on your site for less than a minutes, it is another clear sign that they are not instantly engaged.

Keep in mind you have 5-15 seconds to engage the visitors when they stop by your site. If you fail to do that, everything else isn't not going to work well for you (including your earnings).

qwikad.com, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  8. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    You could also think about becoming a game server affiliate. So that any purchases from referrals create you $$ - just a thought. I would also try Google Adsense.

Adam James Jack, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  9. gknugurlu

gknugurlu Member

Best Answers:
    It's better to get free traffic from search engines which are organic. It's the most valuable one. I've also tried as a publisher at CPM CPA networks in the past. I would advice you not to spend your time there. They do not give any value. Everyone publishes and just views others page to get more pageviews, where they are not in a search of something. And it's really hard in such networks to make something work in order to profit. I had a website where from every 20-30 visits from search engines I got a signup where at CPM CPA networks I did not get any signup for even 3000 views. That's why I would not advice you to spend your time there.

gknugurlu, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  10. Uvs

Uvs Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you i'll give it a try, some good website to get things strated?

Google Analytics says i have a Bounce Rate of 15.52%, Alexa says is 46.70%
    Same for the average daily time/average visit time. Analytics 5:40 Alexa 1:10

So apparently adSense is the most paying network out there? Nothing else to try?

Uvs, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  11. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I would actually pay attention to the Alexa's stats in this case. A 46.70% bounce rate is HUGE. That's part of your problem. Staying one minute on the site equals to no action being taken around your site.

Post a link to your site. I think it's about how your site looks that creates all the problems for you.

I am saying all of this based on the assumption that your site gets 10,000 views monthly. In my mind it's a lot. You should be making more than what you're making. So, my assumption is your site doesn't look all that great or appealing to your average visitor.

qwikad.com, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  12. Uvs

Uvs Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe alexa have some troubles tracking the stats with the two subdomains i'm using (forum. and wiki.). Anyway i'll send you the link in pm.

Uvs, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  13. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:

add me to skype. , i'll get you something good, that might help you in making good $

adblocker cant' block my ads.

Regards

competent123, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  14. Uvs

Uvs Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok i'll add you, thanks.

Uvs, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  15. smartfinds

smartfinds Active Member

Best Answers:
    smartfinds, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  16. Seaman Staines

Seaman Staines Member

Best Answers:
    So what language is your site in?...what country or countries do most of your visitors come from?

Seaman Staines, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  17. Uvs

Uvs Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much, i'll read it!

The website is in italian and 93% of the visitors come from Italy.

Uvs, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  18. mbanj

mbanj Active Member

Best Answers:
    I' shock that you are making any money from Google Adsense.
    The problem you might be facing not making any money from Adsense,
    probably the ad boxes are not position in heatmap areas on your site.

Also consider using both text and image for your Google Adsenses ads.
    Have you try posting CPA offers, this is another money making you are
    leaving on the table.

You can also sell ad space on your side. There are lots of ways you can
    make a killing from 100,000 pageviews every month.

hope this helps? :)

mbanj, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  19. gknugurlu

gknugurlu Member

Best Answers:
    Hi uvs.
    I've recently discovered something new that can also cause why your earnings are low from adesense. Adsense pays you per click according to the keyword cpc. They won't pay you the same amount for a keyword that its cpc is 0.2$ and a keyword that its cpc is 20$. Adsense doesn't tell its algorithm or how much is the rate for the payout to the publishers. Depending on your content the ads are displayed. And the rate that you will be paid for each click made on the ad on your website has a percentage. There are even keywords where people pay 200$ or even may be more per click. So if your website ranks for high cpc keywords that high your earnings will be. If an ad was displayed that its cpc is 200$ then if you had to earn 1% of it it would be 2$ per click. 10% is 20$ per click. But if the ad displayed on your website is 0.2$ per click then the amount that you would earn per click if it was 1% it would be 0.002$ and if it was 10% it would be 0.02$. So lets assume that you get 1 click per 100 views. So lets divide 100k to 100, it would make 1000 clicks. And if your payout is 10% for ads that are 0.2$ then for 1000 clicks you would earn 20$. If the ads cpc is 0.1$ then you get approximately 10$.
    So I want here to say that may be the ads displayed on your website are ads that have low cpc where this also can be a cause you to earn low amount.

gknugurlu, Mar 8, 2014 IP
  20. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe your traffic is very low in quality.

Dionne Taylor, Mar 8, 2014 IP