1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Penalty on Long Tail Keywords

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by mediapak, Feb 7, 2014.

I was using blog commenting since long time for quick SERP results. Since last couple of months i noticed that Google impose an auto penalty if we use a anchor text with three or more keywords.
    I was unable to disavow those links. I just stopped link building and Google returned my site in a month without any reconsideration request.

Can anybody confirm if there is really a penalty on long tail anchor text? and if yes; what is best way of link building these days.

Cheers

mediapak, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  2. limitlessjz

limitlessjz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The last couple years has been a game changer. Google can easily look at your backlink profile and determine natural vs unnatural links. You'd have to switch up the anchors significantly while sprinkling in your keywords. Use generics to like the URL itself and "click here" "See here" etc. Try building links naturally. It will take longer but at least you won't be constantly battling Google. If you make something of any sort of quality links will naturally happen. I've tested this many times since. I used to do what you're currently doing awhile ago and got burned just like you did now. It was going good for awhile sitting pretty at the top then at the snap of a finger my sites were crushed in the SERPS. I've been placing more effort into quality these past couple years and IT DOES WORK. And guest posting still does work as well. Just not on spammed out guest posting sites.

limitlessjz, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  3. SEO Consultant Singapore

SEO Consultant Singapore Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally don't think long tail keywords could be penalized provided you have used them correctly and wisely as per your website content theme.In fact, I would like to say that long tail keywords are helpful for getting increased traffic on websites.I have tested this on many of our clients' websites.

4. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Mediapak,

You just want to avoid having your target main keyword in your anchors more than 20% on a branded domain and more than 5% in an exact match domain (EMD). And this includes long tail. So if your keyword is "fat loss dvd", then "best fat loss dvd" "fat loss dvd cheap" "buy fat loss dvd in 2013" all count to in this category. It's not so much that the number of words in the anchors is bad, its the inclusion of the target keyword.

Think about social bookmarks. When people naturally make them, they're usually long. "This cat video is going to make you laugh uncontrollably. Potentially NSFW". So length isn't the issue

The thing to do now is use synonyms. Throw in stuff like "weight reduction video". This way it doesn't look like your overoptimizing, but you're still getting credit for the keyword through relationship.

And as @limitlessjz said, have least 25% of the anchors be branded, 25% of the anchors be URL, 5% miscellaneous. The rest will be for your exact match, related, and synonym keywords (depending on above [if you're a EMD, partial match domain (PMD), or branded domain]).

Best of luck,
    Diggity

DiggitySEO, Feb 7, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  5. Md. Ershadul Hoque

Md. Ershadul Hoque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't use the same keyword to build your link more and more. You should make a change in your keyword with LSI, LTK etc. Length of keyword isn't issue but using same keyword again and again consider as spam.

Md. Ershadul Hoque, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  6. blogdum

blogdum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it works, sometimes its not. You can test yourself but build links wisely. ;)

blogdum, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  7. Nick02

Nick02 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, anchoring is not recommended anymore. Use other words instead...

Nick02, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  8. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Life Insurance In California - 3 words but it is still a targeted anchor text and money term. Longtail terms are intuitive phrases that generally people misunderstand with number of words in keywords.

Your link profile would have diluted (just a guess) when you stopped blog commenting.

Blog commenting isn't bad if you're sharing sensible thoughts beyond "it's a great post. thank you" stuff. Try using anchors like "your keyword @ brand name"

Hope that gives some direction.

chillingbreeze, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  9. Deepak patel

Deepak patel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I
    If you are using long tail keyword Please use it properly. Only use with relevant Anchor text.
    Don't do keyword stuffing with your Meta Tags.
    Keep keyword Density 1.25-1.75 %

Deepak patel, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  10. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, i will say if you are using multiple Anchor links than, It is sure that Google is going to put you in penalty the best way is just use single Anchor text.

John Dave, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  11. Jaspreet2787

Jaspreet2787 Member

Best Answers:
    I really agree quality is the one quality is one thing which Google want , but at the same time its getting hard to gain the high rank because link building method getting reduced day by day.

Jaspreet2787, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  12. sumanth1

sumanth1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I dont think that, we can create long anchor links also

sumanth1, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  13. Numberwang

Numberwang Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I shudder to think what kind of funny cat video would also be NSFW. Maybe a kitty barges in on its owners getting it on? I don't know, but I want to see this vid now and would definitely click on that anchor:)

Numberwang, Feb 23, 2014 IP