1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Face Book's future

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by DatingExpert, Feb 6, 2014.

Hi Fellow Marketers,

Do you think that Face Book will ever have any competitor?
    The way Face Book has grown in the last few years has made it the biggest social network.
    Do you think Face Book will ever get a challenge from any other social platform?
    Please share your thoughts?

DatingExpert, Feb 6, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  2. Andrew Hurst

Andrew Hurst Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely!
    What I have heard is that the facebook population, though ginormous, is declining in active users. There is always something new and shiny around the corner, unless fb changes it's game enough to keep and get new users.

Andrew Hurst, Feb 6, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  3. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    My cat and grandmother now have their own page......whats that tell you ? LOL

sundaybrew, Feb 6, 2014 IP
    danasurvey and sarahk like this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It would be naive to think it won't. I don't see any contenders just yet but rest assured, one will turn up.

sarahk, Feb 6, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew and danasurvey like this.
  5. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook already has competition. :)

I think people will continue to use it though.

danasurvey, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    competition but not contenders.

I remember when we we stopped using the yahoo search engine because this cool but oddly named alternative turned up - northernlights, I think it was. Ultimately they were just a competitor who disappeared pretty quickly. The real contender turned up a short while later and is still waiting to knocked off it's perch.

Both companies are very focused on expanding their reach and their influence. So long as they continue to predict the tech that people want they are safe, cushioned by their huge marketing budgets and userbase. If they start getting it wrong then both might find themselves on the downward slope.

sarahk, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  7. Socialseo

Socialseo Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook appeals to teenagers, adults and grandmas, it is updated daily sometimes even 3 times a day by millions of people. It will stay on top for a while, no competition at all. When people start sharing pictures of their dinner, it becomes a habit.

Socialseo, Feb 6, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  8. exodia

exodia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most Definitely
    But that new thing will be propelled by an evolution of another new thing which at this stage we are ignoring or not paying much attention to or some other turning point in tech. Let me explain Napster took off when the internet became mainstream, Youtube and myspace became mainstream when bandwidth became cheaper, facebook became a force due to smartphones.So the next thing to beat it may takeoff due to ubiquity of say wearable technology like Googleglass. Imagine say a very tiny GoPro camera that records every minute of my life (at my discretion) and streams so people can see "What Im Doing" and tune into my life live.

exodia, Feb 7, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  9. Socialseo

Socialseo Member

Best Answers:
    That's true everything is always changing and evolving, but so far they have no body threatening, and it would be a challenge . And that's pretty high tech stuff your talking about, could be done soon, and be a youtube/Facebook, I bet you South Korea will create it lol.

Socialseo, Feb 7, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  10. mrgadget

mrgadget Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. Well, Facebook may follow Google's path to monetize their users, the ads price would be more and more cut-throat
    2. Facebook would develop their own eco-system (maybe mobile-related area first)
    3. Teenagers will gradually leave FB to find sth else more interesting

mrgadget, Feb 7, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  11. Nick02

Nick02 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Facebook has lots of competition. All Social Networks have their beginings and their ends.

Nick02, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  12. John Eulizer Nimo

John Eulizer Nimo Active Member

Best Answers:
    One day, another mark zuckerberg will rise up and create another awesome social media site.

John Eulizer Nimo, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  13. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Recently it seems there are many articles on how facebook is turning into a wasteland, with a vast Exodus of teens leaving. This is supposed to be the driving reason why they offered $3billion to snapchat, as they are getting desperate and need a way to both retain the younger generation and bring in more users.
    If facebook can evolve, (ie take over projects like snapchat, and add in more features / software for its userbase), then for sure they will be around for alot longer. Otherwise, in a few years time, it will likely be nothing more then a whole stack of bored grandmothers. (I know more bored grandmothers that are facebook addicts then friends that check their facebook accounts daily)

someone emailed me this, im sure others will appreciate it.

matt_62, Feb 10, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.