1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stop Smoking?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by skb329, May 13, 2012.

1. lista adiya

lista adiya Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the best motivation are from you
    you don't need anybody to told you how to stop

its all inside of you
    you are the owner of your body
    take control
    and you can defeat the smoke passion

lista adiya, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  2. FrontRowSEO

FrontRowSEO Member

Best Answers:
    I was a smoker for many, 16 to be exact. I must have started and quit a dozen or so times. Each time i used a nicotine aid. Found the quitting part not too difficult with the help of the patch, pill or gum. What i found most difficult was trying to stay away from nicotine following the quitting process. I asked my doctor the same question you are asking me. He told me to go cold turkey, says it is the one way where you can naturally and organically quit. My doctor told me to each time i have a craving try one of the following:

- Close my eyes, take deep breaths and count to 15
    - Chew on some gum
    - Each time i have a bad craving try drinking a glass of water.

Also

- Found an app for my iphone which really helped to give me strength to keep going. Sounds silly eh? Well the app actually calculates the number of cigarettes, amount (in mg) of tar and the money you save as you quit. It also has a medical timeline which shows you things like "you are at stage 3, your lung capacity has increased by up to 20% and your threat of coronary heart disease has decreased by 10%.
    - In the app store you can search for "QuitIt".

These seemed to be what worked best for me, I actually used all of them. Have quit now with no cravings whatsoever for almost a year. Thanks, hope you like this information and it helps.

FrontRowSEO, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  3. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    I stopped recently by using those E-Cigarettes, not had a real one for 6 weeks, feeling good.

GregWR, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  4. rxzor

rxzor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Electronic cigarettes are as harmful as cigarettes. If you had the ambition to stop smoking cigs, you can get rid of e-cigs too.

rxzor, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  5. Swarolipi

Swarolipi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It simply depends on ur mental strength.Quiet smoking with the help of ur mental strength/power u will get success very soon.In other words apply ur mental power and u will get success in near future .Belive me it happens..take care

Swarolipi, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  6. DaveinNYS

DaveinNYS Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, many people need a more robust program to keep them on-track. Cutting down on the numbers of smokes per day seldom works.
    A large percentage of the quit-smoking process is psychological, as I'm sure you are aware. There are plenty of programs out there (some are free)
    that will lend support and structure and accountability to the mix.

I see this post is rather old. I hope for your sake you're now an ex-smoker.

Regards,
    Dave
    FinallyReadytoQuit.com

DaveinNYS, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  7. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First you have to have the willpower to quit. I read the book from Allen Carr and that's one of the best ever. He explains why you're addicted and what to do to stop that addiction. Check it out (it's also translated in many languages) ;)

Aquarezz, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  8. haryoko.hardjo

haryoko.hardjo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started smoking 5 years ago, just because i like to swim and gym so i must stop. It was hardly breathing when the exercise quite long and hard. First i was cutting my cigar portion from one pack to half pack. I changed my smoking habit by chewing gum or just pieces of candies. Its all about your mind set, if you are willing to stop then you must stop it.

haryoko.hardjo, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  9. claudiussatham

claudiussatham Active Member

Best Answers:
    very hard to stop. But, all is possible if you have a spirit to stop it. and change your environment to support you.

claudiussatham, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  10. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    No they aren't, do you actually have anything but an opinion?

GregWR, Feb 3, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  11. bugahdug

bugahdug Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've recently noticed people who don't smoke now smoking the flavoured e-cigs.

In terms of kicking the nicotine, I know several people who got on okay with a tablet from the NHS called 'Champix'
    Details:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Smoking-(quitting)/Pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Nicotine%20Dependence&medicine=Varenicline%20tartrate&preparation=Varenicline%201mg%20tablets

People definitely struggle with it in different ways. I just quit, cold turkey with no issues, yet some people I know with what seems like more will power than me, are still struggling.

As others have said, I hope OP has managed to quit successfully by now.

bugahdug, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  12. impishme84

impishme84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You just need to be determined if you actually wish to quit smoking but if it seems to be impossible then give electronic cigarette a shot. I have written a lot about them but don't know if they can actually help you quit smoking.

impishme84, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  13. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely right, they may have a small amount of nicotine in them but they have none of the tar and other harmful crap that real cigs have in them, it's all that crap that causes harm not the actual nicotine.

malky66, Feb 4, 2014 IP
    GregWR likes this.
  14. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    But what happens when that electronic cig gets wet in the rain and short circuits, then blows up? Yeeeeeooow!

Spoiltdiva, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  15. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    lol..probably get a burnt face, painful but probably not as painful as lung cancer..;)

malky66, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    O.k. got that, the choices are either a burnt face or lung cancer. Hmmmm, let me see...Yep I think I'll go with just chewing gum.;)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  17. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    I smoked for 15 years and since using the EC my lungs have cleared, cough is away, sense of smell and taste is back and I generally feel better.

Working from home and not having to go out the back door every half hour is also great, living in Scotland was murder when the smoking ban came in, it rains 90% of the time lol

GregWR, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  18. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    At least you are a light smoker, so that should make it easier on you. I smoked 20+ per day from the time I was 14 until I was 31. I "quit" more times than I can remember, usually for about two weeks. I think the difference the last time was that I took it more seriously. Here are some of the things that helped me...

1. Tell your friends in advance. Pick a firm date and tell everyone you know that you will be quitting that day. It helps commit you to it psychologically. No one wants to be teased by their friends for failing.

2. Chew gum...LOTS of gum. I started out with nicotine gum (tropical punch flavor) for about a month, then switched to regular gum for a month. I chewed non-stop, all day and all night. Sometimes I thought my jaw would fall off, but it honestly helped.

3. Whenever you have a craving, remind yourself that it will pass whether you have a cigarette or not. If the craving will pass anyway, why pollute yourself? Eventually the cravings will get farther apart and will become weaker.

4. Switch up your routine. If you normally have a smoke when you wake up, get in the habit of starting the day with a glass of OJ. If you normally smoke after you eat, maybe start to go for a short walk or something instead. Switching up your habits, especially around things that normally trigger your smoking, is key.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Foxxy, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  19. Mike the Coach

Mike the Coach Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

I stopped smoking because I started jogging and could not run more than 1km. Once I stopped I could easily do 10km and never missed the cigarette. So just stop and see the difference, good luck

Mike the Coach, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  20. Mike the Coach

Mike the Coach Peon

Best Answers:
    Smoking is simply bad, expensive and not cool. I am not sure why people call it a social habit. I smoked for a year and stopped after tried to run more than 1km. since I stopped I never missed it.

Mike the Coach, Apr 2, 2014 IP