1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Choosing a host ????

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Pioneer Preparedness, Jan 30, 2014.

I am just starting a website, I briefly worked on a site that used WordPress.
    I am trying to decide who to host with and want to start out without a large investment, since this is a first attempt and need to test the waters first. I am concerned about making a large investment and then realizing, I just can't do this.
    I had heard hostgator lost or shut some sites down in the last year or two, I have heard blogger (google) has randomly shut down sites. This greatly concerns me b/c I don't want to put a lot of effort into something just to lose it.
    I am trying the free WordPress for now but need to see if there are other things consider to have the most functions and options available to use.
    The biggest thing I want to be able to do is have a flyer that is interactive, so people can click on the items and be directed to my Thrive site.
    I would post and example but I don't think we are allowed to do that.
    **Warning** I am new at this, so I am sorry if I ask any stupid questions. :)

Pioneer Preparedness, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    any host can shut down the site that is on their servers, if you violate their TOS.

The only thing you really " own" for practical purposes, is the domain. and the data files ( html/php/database etc etc)

if you want to start with the least investment, i suggest the following approach

- buy domain, in your own account of godaddy etc, no shared because worst to worst, you can start site somewhere else if there is an issue, and it will be as good as new ( dont' buy hosting from them, as its really really bad)

ask someone here to give you free hosting ( there are tons of people here, including me, that have a lot of hosting available and they will be willing to help you out by giving you hosting account for free. because you are starting out)

it will be fine for small startup sites

after you get some substantial traffic, i.e 2-3000 visitors a day
    then you think about getting a vps/dedicated but thats too far in the future

so, let us know how we can help you out.

Regards

competent123, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  3. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can provide some hosting for you to help you get started if you need. no charge.

dayvo, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  4. Pioneer Preparedness

Pioneer Preparedness Peon

Best Answers:

5. Pioneer Preparedness

Best Answers:
    Excellent info, thank you! THIS is what I need to know! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

6. Constructor Decasa

Constructor Decasa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i was about ask almost the same question.. But well questioned and well answered by you guys...
    Me also will surely come up with the hosting help to you guys..

All the best for your site Pioneer (well you have met your name standards so fast)

Constructor Decasa, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  7. malcolmlon

malcolmlon Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used Hostgator for many years without any issues. A year or so ago they increased their fees but this was the first increase in around 10 years.

malcolmlon, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  8. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could just buy real hosting for $6 a month like a normal person.

or you could roam around DP and see if some 3rd rate hacker with a server will give you "free" hosting, but many times "free" comes with a price that will probably be more expensive then $6 a mo.

averyz, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  9. Pioneer Preparedness

Best Answers:
    Well played there averz! ;) You are correct and that is a fact that I know all too well. Nothing is free, it all has a price of some kind.
    I am going to come back and make sure to like all these posts, once I am official.
    For those supplying links, if they would please mention what site it is going to , I would appreciate it. :)
    Now back to the 'deer in the head lights' look of Eeeeeeee, what do I do.
    Maybe a better question is who do you use and why?
    I am looking to have a site with basic information on homesteading, self sufficiency, emergency preparedness and disaster relief. This is a personal mission/passion for my hubby and I (20+ years) and are trying to find the best way to help and provide info for people.
    I do sell freeze dried food but show people how to do it affordably, so I don't really make much $$ off it. There is another site I will be linking to and want to be able to have a section for my newsletters, links for you tube videos, and guest appearances on internet radio shows.
    Another biggie, I couldn't figure out, was linking to a powerpoint presentation I had done on food storage.
    Sorry, I know I have thrown a LOT of info in here but these are all the things running through the hamster wheel at the moment.

Pioneer Preparedness, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  10. Pioneer Preparedness

Best Answers:
    Thanks Constructor :) I am trying to have well thought out plan, so I many the right choices and don't realize 'I need to do THIS? Awwwww, I should have gone with that OTHER site' LOL!

11. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can buy your own hosting for about $60-$100 a year. Quality hosting usually has easy wordpress install and back up. The back up can be very valuable if you are new and fumbling because you can mess up and restore your site back.

Look for hosting with cpanel that is a industry standard for quality, also look for good support live people that will actually answer the phone. Many of the low quality hosting companies has buggy low grade "dashboards" that are a nightmare along with no support.

One big company owns much of the hosting sites you see and most of the reviews are fake made by affiliates. The hosting I use is owned by the giant company so I won't recommend/advertize them.
    If you do some looking on this site you can find some threads on hosting companies.

averyz, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  12. Pioneer Preparedness

Best Answers:
    Perfect, thanks Averyz! I friend just told me about 1&1 https://www.1and1.com/linux-web-hosting
    They look interesting!
    I am sure I will need good customer support. I am a brunette but hubby says I have these 'evil blonde roots' that pop out occasionally, lol!

13. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I do not recommend 1&1 and I'm quite certain no one here will either. 2 cents :)

micksss, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  14. Pioneer Preparedness

Best Answers:
    Thanks Micksss, this is just what I need to know! :)

15. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1&1 and Godaddy are hosts to stay away from.

alex_e, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  16. Constructor Decasa

Constructor Decasa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go daddy is such a popular one and what makes you say that?

Constructor Decasa, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  17. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think HostGator will be a good option.

meetdilip, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  18. yize

yize Active Member

Best Answers:
    Stay away from 1&1, they are very hard to migrate your site from their servers. I have had numerous clients try and move away after not being satisfied with their customer service. I can't provide specifics since I have never used them.

I would suggest hostgator to get your feet wet, yes they have their problems, but so do a lot of other hosting companies.

yize, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  19. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy Sucks... They are popular because they are cheap and sell to uneducated "do it yourself" crowd.

averyz, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  20. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    I came up with a short list of shared hosting providers that seem reasonable and don't get many bad reviews:
    http://glowhost.com/ Glowhost
    http://www.froghost.com/Webhosting Frog Host - Web Hosting
    http://www.site5.com/hosting/web/ Site5 Web Hosting
    http://www.siteground.com/ Siteground
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/web-hosting/ JaguarPC
    http://www.pacifichost.com/ PacificHost

I moved several of my sites to Glowhost, because they seemed to be the best deal for me. They handled the relocation of more than 25 sites without a glitch, no downtime.

Hostgator, Hostmonster, Bluehost, Ipage, JustHost and FatCow are all heavily promoted hosts that are owned by EIG and most are hosted in the same datacenter owned by EIG and are quickly gaining a reputation for bad customer service and lousy performance.
    See a complete list of EIG sites [to stay away] from here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group Endurance International Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RobinInTexas, Feb 1, 2014 IP
    averyz likes this.