1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web Hosting Reseller Suggestions

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by taarzan, Jan 27, 2014.

I want to start of as web hosting and domain re seller, for that purpose I want to gain from the experiences of the pros. Basically i want to know the details on how to start of this business, also understand the complexities pertaining to evolving through the stages.
    Do advise in the statements below:
    • I want to go with both open source and windows hosting support, is that fine?
    • Start up investment will be limited .
    • Planning to build a team in near future for various sections(like support,SEO and marketing) but in start up it will be only me due to shortage of investment.
    • How much expertise will be required for setting up websites for both open source and windows platform, also with domain integration. Although I am familiar with windows platform deployment to some extent.
    • Any good sources for learning site setup on both windows and open source platforms.
    • Any suggestions while choosing which hosting company to go with.

taarzan, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using these folks because anytime I have a question or issue I get the same guy on the phone or via support ticket. The prices are competitive as well.

If need be you can start with a reseller http://www.iwfhosting.net/reseller/

and scale it up to a VPS when needed. I should note that the highest VPS plan they have is like 100 dollars cheaper for the same thing from hostgator. Either plan will come with whmcs which will tackle billing, support and the whole 9 yards for you automatically.

Ex. I did this a few years ago http://www.voop.org/

Its a bit of work but its frankly pretty trivial to deal with. It helps if you start with a theme that is already whmcs aware but there are a few folks around here that port design matters to it for pretty cheap.

for Voop I used a specific whmcs theme so anything you see there is editable from the theme admin panel. You can also find useful themes that will do that on themeforest.

I would suggest avoiding windows for the time being and stick with centos and cpanel accounts.

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  3. euro-space

euro-space Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I'd recommend to start at Linux CentOS platform, with industry leading cPanel and WHM reseller management control panel (demo http://demo.cpanel.net:2086/cpsess6730468958/?post_login=44928592502863 )

First thing you have to consider is the reliability and stability of the hosting provider - 24x7 professional customer support is a must, as when you (or your client) will have some issue they will help you.

You'd start with competitive prices and feature rich hosting plans, and again cPanel is great for this and in most cases you'll have Fantastico or Softaculous script installer you can offer your clients for easy setting up their websites.

You can install for example WHMCS to manage sales and hosting accounts from your website.

Good hosting providers are ready to help their resellers to grow and manage their businesses, so live chat at the beginning to find out more what they can offer and how can they support you.

Reseller plans for starters are not expensive and you can find even for EUR 9.99 /mo.

Good luck ;)

euro-space, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  4. taarzan

taarzan Active Member

Best Answers:
    None of suggestions included anything about windows hosting. Also I would like to know more about the setup of website in open source environment, any good resource in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

taarzan, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  5. euro-space

Best Answers:
    ^What hosting account do you have with them lepud ? can you also provide your website please?

euro-space, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  6. taarzan

taarzan Active Member

Best Answers:
    what about bluehost.com and arvixe.com I have researched and found these two are going well. I liked godaddycom previously but they have bad repu with resellers.

taarzan, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  7. taarzan

taarzan Active Member

Best Answers:
    what about bluehost.com and arvixe.com I have researched and found these two are going well. I liked godaddycom previously but they have bad repu with resellers.

taarzan, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  8. euro-space

Best Answers:
    and you have excellent experience with both of them?

euro-space, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  9. taarzan

taarzan Active Member

Best Answers:
    @euro-space no I havent tried them but I have to choose from the good ones soon.

taarzan, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  10. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    • I want to go with both open source and windows hosting support, is that fine? -

Answer: Open Source = Exploits* No Support* Modify/Harden code yourself.
    • Start up investment will be limited.

Answer: - It's difficult to see a start up Web Host succeed without investment - none the less it's been done.
    • Planning to build a team in near future for various sections(like support,SEO and marketing) but in start up it will be only me due to shortage of investment.

Answer - You will require knowledge of the services your aiming to provide (Start with cPanel/WHM - Industry leading Web Host Control Panel)
    • How much expertise will be required for setting up websites for both open source and windows platform, also with domain integration. Although I am familiar with windows platform deployment to some extent.

Answer: This greatly depends on demand and knowledge. You won't be able to convince potential clients to host with you if they know more about the subject than yourself. Customers expect factual, swift, informative replies.
    • Any good sources for learning site setup on both windows and open source platforms.

Answer: Check out cPanel. They have hundreds/thousands of tutorials/threads to learn from.
    • Any suggestions while choosing which hosting company to go with.

Answer: Do research. First you need to know what services you want to offer - i would advise cPanel/WHM - i would go as far as saying it's demand is ten fold of Windows - imo. Then once you know what you want to offer, look for reliable web hosting companies that provide the services you require.

Advertise!!! :)

Adam James Jack, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  11. euro-space

Best Answers:
    Adam James Jack nice and full explanation, OP should definitely follow up ;)

euro-space, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  12. taarzan

taarzan Active Member

Best Answers:
    taarzan, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  13. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Windows platform is good but most of the web developer does not provide full support if they run their software on windows platform.

humtuma, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  14. euro-space

Best Answers:
    Also expensive

euro-space, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  15. nerdipod

nerdipod Member

Best Answers:
    With the right web hosting company, your business web site can be much easier than you think. There are so many web based design tools and marketing tools included in web hosting packages, that you really don't need to know much about html, programming, or otherwise.

nerdipod, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  16. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    pricing is not the only thing to look at. Private hostname and nameservers is important. By this, i mean a hostname that does not point to, or include the parent companies name in the url
    ok quick example, if it is a cpanel reseller, and if they do not have private nameservers, then anyone can type in, YOURDOMAIN:2087 and it shows up the hostname of the server. Do this for 10-20 hosting "companies" that you find promoting in Digitalpoint and you will see many with hostgator and stuff.

Also, not good to start this on a shoe string budget. What happens when you run out of money? I would say a $5k min cash before you should even try to start this site.

matt_62, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  17. euro-space

Best Answers:
    ^ I guess any reputable hosting provider allows its reseller(s) to have private nameservers, that's why plan is offered as "Reseller"..

euro-space, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  18. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ^ yes, but not all are genuine white label, and if one is starting a business using a reseller, these are what they need to find out before hand.

matt_62, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  19. euro-space

Best Answers:
    I'm very sure anyone can find out easily by speaking with the sales rep. of the company offering reseller hosting..

euro-space, Feb 13, 2014 IP
  20. euro-space

Best Answers:
    ^ This looks like a good promotion, however, why should one trust this if we consider that there're many affiliated posters on this forum...

euro-space, Feb 13, 2014 IP