1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2 questions regarding newbies.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by MarketerRon, Jan 16, 2014.

Hi everyone,

Can I ask a couple of questions please?

1) What are the main things that newbies want to know to help them achieve success in internet marketing?

2) What are the biggest turnoffs for beginners when entering the industry?

Thanks.

MarketerRon, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. How to achieve greatness with zero effort, cash or a definable skillset.(even if it's simply forming a coherent sentence)
    2. That #1 is completely untenable.

I was thinking... that is simply a smart ass response to a reasonable question but unfortunately, it rings entirely true, so I am going to stick with it lol..

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  3. Pillai.G

Pillai.G Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    1. They need to educate themselves on all the elements related to internet marketing!
    2. Most newbies have a very negative approach to earn money overnight with internet marketing. They never realized everything comes down to hard work and the readiness to fail whether it's online marketing or offline marketing.

Pillai.G, Jan 16, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  4. mbaldwin

mbaldwin Active Member

Best Answers:
    They get turned off from it when they find out they have to work for it, and treat it like a business, which takes some investment in time and money.

mbaldwin, Jan 16, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is going to be a looong reply. I have been in sales & marketing for over 20 years. Before Internet Marketing, the get rich quick schemes involved direct mail (snail variety) and/or telemarketing boilerrooms. Before that, it was door-to-door sales reps. You may note that the progression goes from costliest (in both time and money) to least costly on a per sale basis.

When I was in college, I was in a "politics of education" course and the professor invited in the head of the Boston school department. We were allowed to ask questions after he spoke and the first question he was asked revolved around "what was his biggest challenge?" We all expected shrinking budgets, busing or other such headline grabbing issues, but he simply replied, "Everyone has been in school being taught and they also have taught someone to do something once. So EVERYONE comes to the table believing that they are an expert in educational matters. As a professional educator, I can assure you that there is much more to it, but we have to overcome that mindset all of the time."

It is not different in sales and marketing in my experience. EVERYONE has been sold and marketed to and EVERYONE has at least set up lemonade stand or sold something to a friend. Therefore, everyone thinks that they know how to sell and market.

The compounding effect of this these days is that, as I mentioned above, the cost of "get rich" sales and marketing is much lower than it has ever been. So, a lot more people are jumping into the pool, so to speak. Of course, the vast majority fail miserably but my observation is that they are able to stay at it longer these days.

MarketerRon, this is not directed at you, but I am just adding to some of the ensuing comments that spurred me to write this. To answer your question (kind of) I would say that from 40,000 feet, online marketing is not much different than traditional direct marketing. The devil is in the details and that is what you will pick up from others and from experience. Go in with a good top-level plan and figure out the implementation tactics as you go along. Are you a traditional marketer looking to branch out?

jrbiz, Jan 17, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon and Nigel Lew like this.
  6. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    At least your honest Nigel, lol.
    That is exactly the way I felt until I sought help.

MarketerRon, Jan 17, 2014 IP
  7. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    Good stuff mate, thanks.

8. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    Good answer. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head.

9. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    Well said, I value your detailed input. Statistics say that 97% of internet marketers fail in the first 2-3 months, or completely give up even before they have started. No, I'm not a traditional marketer, I'm a newbie doing a coaching course. I'm asking the questions for an ebook I hope to write to help internet marketing beginners.

10. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Main thing that I come to learn about on DP is SEO. SEO can be very difficult, especially for someone that isn't too fond of using bots. The biggest turnoff is when you start a website and you aren't getting enough traffic, it can be a turnoff but you just have eto perservere through this.

ash1ey82, Jan 17, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  11. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Seo is difficult for the average website owner. I don't think Google likes bots, do they?

12. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, they don't. Plus what most new SEO people don't realize is that the bots create very low quality backlinks which instead hurts your SEO. The best way to do seo is on page and via social promotion. Also promoting on forums is a great way to build high quality backlinks.

ash1ey82, Jan 17, 2014 IP
  13. vedremo

vedremo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the main thing newbies want is a clear blueprint / steps to follow / 'recipe' to achieve their goals (which I think are usually dollar amounts, rather than long term business goals). The issue is there are so many opportunities online it can often be difficult to narrow down and focus on one. Especially when a perceived guru recommends something new, often with an affiliate link attached.

I'm guessing most are of sound mind enough to realise that it takes work to achieve a full time income online. Albeit, perhaps more than what they initially anticipated. Having the right person or peers to consult can make all the difference.

vedremo, Jan 21, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  14. onedumbaussie

onedumbaussie Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO
    1. Most newbies want to know how to get rich in the minimal amount of time possible. For many that is days or weeks.

2. The Biggest Challenge/Turnoff Newbies face is Making Money slowly. Too Many products promise 5-6 figures a month just by following my brain dead simple steps. The fact is that for 99% of Im'ers 5-6 figures a month in your first few months is not attainable.

In My Mind NEW Im'ers need to say to themselves, OK lets work out how to make $5 and go from there.

If your goals are more like $5 a day at first, its attainable and when you make that $5 a day for 7 days the first time you are inspired to try and make $10 a day next week. And so it builds over time.

By making your first goal $5,000 a month you are almost guaranteed to fail, that leads to poor mindset and the failures start to pile up fast as you chase that un-attainable goal.

Start small, Stay focused and SLOWLY Build your income. Most Overnight Millionaires worked for a long time for that one NIGHT.

Good Luck with your Ebook Mate

ODA

onedumbaussie, Jan 22, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  15. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    It does take work and there are so many opportunities, that's for sure. All barriers for the newbie to get around.

MarketerRon, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  16. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    That's a great reply, ODA. I think I'm the ODA, lol. I think newbies are far too impatient (me included) and just don't hang around long enough. Thanks for your kind words regarding my ebook.

MarketerRon, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  17. Richard Guereca

Richard Guereca Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Ron. As a Newbie, I have the enthusiasm and need to try to make money online. At this point I'm learning how to grow my list so I'm following the instruction of a guru to try to achieve this. I find that hours fly by as I read and post. In your opinion, what is the best way to get traffic to my blog and squeeze page without pissing off moderators in the forums?

No real turn offs at this point. But I suppose that if I don't get many people opting in on my blog or squeeze page then that would test my hope in trying to make money online. I must not give up!

Richard Guereca, Jan 24, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  18. Joe@AdPatron

Joe@AdPatron Member

Best Answers:
    #2 ... which industry?

Joe@AdPatron, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  19. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Richard. I'm still learning this via my coaching course. The only way I know so far is to post on forums as we're doing to entice visitors to your blog. I've asked those 2 newbie questions because I'm researching for an ebook (product) my mentor advises that I develop and give away through my blog to establish me on the web. People have to leave their name and email to receive the ebook. Yes, it is very time consuming.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    MarketerRon, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  20. Joe@AdPatron

Joe@AdPatron Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should ask your mentor to first tell you what industry you'll be marketing. lol.

Joe@AdPatron, Jan 24, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.