1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Think Rewriting Content Is Plagiarism?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by amanstyle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kmm2908

kmm2908 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand your point but would say again intent is key. If I use someone else's piece, credit the source, but then break it down and publish/justify my opposing views, is that plagiarism? I don't think so.

kmm2908, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  2. The Content Bloke

The Content Bloke Peon

Best Answers:
    That sentence is so rich in irony and unintentional humor it's sublime.

The Content Bloke, Jan 6, 2014 IP
    PassGoSEO likes this.
  3. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe any writer can produce a completely original piece of work (unless s/he is the one who started the new trend or is at least in close allegiance with the one that did). For example when Google announced Hummingbird, it was only the first writeup about it that was completely original. All the others were simply different variations on the same theme: "Hummingbird & its effects". Now, does that mean all the others apart from the first are plagiarised versions? The question that should be asked is how much did the writer add to the theme, by means of new angles, new arguments, etc. And as far as the law is concerned, everyone associated with SEO in even the slightest manner knows that there is only one law in SEO -- Mr. Google! (sorry, couldn't resist it! :p )

BhaskarD, Jan 23, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  4. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What BhaskarD says corresponds, in a way, with my point.
    1)
    2)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Content Maestro, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  5. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    Actually it should not be just a restructuring. New unexplored reasons should definitely be explored.

BhaskarD, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  6. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that is true.:)
    I should have said, '... add something valuable or worthy to it by ...... and inquiring into the matter differently.'

Content Maestro, Jan 23, 2014 IP
    BhaskarD likes this.
  7. brandoMarks

brandoMarks Active Member

Best Answers:
    No plagiarism is just copying word for word and just changing a few things, rewriting a article is what news reporters and journalists do with everything, cause unless you have invented somthing you are taking it from somewhere else and rewriting it basically.

brandoMarks, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  8. Redberry-small

Redberry-small Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you take one article and rewrite it, then it's plagiarism, even if it 80% unique according to some tool checking duplication. But this check is only for words and words combinations. They may be different but carrying the same idea. So what is it for?
    You'd better choose a topic to write on and make a research. You can find a few articles, read them carefully, understand and share your thoughts on this topic. That's no plagiarism

Redberry-small, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a sad and boring place the world must be for so many of you. Nothing out there but rewritten information. No new thoughts, ideas or stories to be had. Do you truly believe that or are you just using it as a convenient excuse to not have to write your own stuff?

Reporters use syndicated content - it is licensed to be reused. It is a totally different issue than plagiarism or rewriting someone else's words without their permission.

YMC, Jan 24, 2014 IP
    PassGoSEO and malky66 like this.
  10. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Finally - someone posts some sensible information on this abortion of a thread. No new information... nothing under the sun is original.. blah blah... don't want to write my own content so therefore it's OK to 'repurpose' someone else's without permission...

While the world's existing IP laws may be seriously worthless in the modern digital age, the age old question remains. All that needs to be answered is 'did you steal it'. The best person to answer that question, of course, is YOU. If you know you stole it, you're a thief, and you either have to live with that or get caught and punished. Either way, as YMC so eloquently pointed out, the piper gets paid.

PassGoSEO, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  11. Sunny Zwingelberg

Sunny Zwingelberg Member

Best Answers:
    Copying is Bad! That is all you have to know. If you believe in God: copying is a sin, whoever does it goes to Hell! BAHAHAHA!

Sunny Zwingelberg, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  12. Ethics

Ethics Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many opinions - in a way it is rehashing old opinions with new text. It could be an either/or situation, but it truly depends on the situation.

Ethics, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  13. brandoMarks

brandoMarks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would love to hear how many things you have invented and didn't learn from someone or somewhere else..I said rewritten, meaning in their own words, you have missed the question as the OP asked what is plagiarism. I just mentioned that reporters and journalist rewrite things, syndicated or not they are exposed to things and rewrite and essentially copy and report on the same thing some other reporter or journalist has said. I rarely watch a movie or read a book that hasn't based their story in some way using ideas from others. When I say rewrite, I mean rewrite with your own spin, not rewrite it word for word.

brandoMarks, Feb 11, 2014 IP
    BhaskarD and Content Maestro like this.
  14. danmaster2012

danmaster2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am totally in agreement with the majority here. So, here's my question, what if it's your own content that your re-writing? It might not be considered plagarism to you and I, but to Google it apparently is, hope I'm not "straying off the beaten path" here. Just need some reassurance that we all have full rights to our own works.

danmaster2012, Oct 11, 2014 IP
  15. thuthuatwordpress

thuthuatwordpress Active Member

Best Answers:
    Rewriting is a fast way to have content for niche website, but it should be 100% unique and meaningful, recently, the GG updates panda that affect "thin content" websites, it means the content is too short or just copied from other places, especially those pages hit the dmca reported.

thuthuatwordpress, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  16. nameless7

nameless7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I suggest you collecting data from different media resourses and creating one good post

nameless7, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  17. Mr. Skoric

Mr. Skoric Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say it depends on the content. If it is something that could be very useful to the people, and people`s lifes could change for the better because of the content, then no. In that case, I wouldn`t say it is plagiarism. But, if the content is used only for making money and becoming famous, then yes. It is definitely plagiarism.

Mr. Skoric, Oct 15, 2014 IP
  18. amitmmf

amitmmf Member

Best Answers:
    There is no concept like rewriting a content because it is either producing a new and unique content or just spin the existing ones through the tools that already exist. The content if not borne out of your own ideas and brains it is not worthy to go for the techniques related to content marketing. It is to take into consideration that the content has to go in the original form always.

amitmmf, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  19. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The value of the information or the motive for stealing does not somehow provide an excuse or free pass to plagiarize.

YMC, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  20. Preston Pierce

Preston Pierce Member

Best Answers:
    Rewriting content, as in writing an existing content in your wording (paraphrasing) is technically a plagiarism and copyright infringement. Instead of rewriting the whole content, it is better to take ideas from one or more existing content and produce something else with little contribution from yourself. You can write the content on the same topic. This will neither be a copyright infringement nor it will be a plagiarism. This is what mostly happens in research field, thesis and dissertations. A research writer may take an existing topic, study literature on that topic and write report based on the existing research but with some contribution from himself.

Preston Pierce, Oct 20, 2014 IP