1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much time does a 301 redirect takes?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MyArtGallery, Jan 16, 2014.

HI

I had a site www. site .com and I moved it using 301 redirected to www .site .org.

The redirection was made on 20th December 2013. The new website is indexed in Google but it does not have the same ranking as the old site had. It's about one month since the redirect and would like to know how much time does it takes for google to give the same ranking as the old domain name. Does anyone moved an old domain do new one? How much time does it takes to see the effects?

PS: The new website have the same ranking as the old one but only on Yahoo (not Goolge). Is Google so slow????

thanks

MyArtGallery, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  2. LayerNode

LayerNode Member

Best Answers:
    One of the sites it took about 6 months before things got back to "normal" in the SERPs. As far as how long to leave the 301s. I would say indefinitely. There are links from other sites with old URLs that we still get traffic from and want to make sure we get that referral traffic.

Having the old 301s in place I do not think hurts anything as over time they will be used less and less. You could also look at your server logs and determine that some 301s are not used anymore and then turn them off.

It just always surprises me when I see Google looking for old pages that we have 301ed for over a year and so I leave them in place.

Good luck.

LayerNode, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  3. thanapa

thanapa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go and delete old URL from Google webmaster tools and make sure correct 301 to new URL. Google going to index new URL's very soon after delete from google index.

thanapa, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  4. Lexy

Lexy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the size of your website. If it's a portfolio with 5-8 pages, reindexation should last a week or 2. But if it has thousands of pages, then you can wait even a few months. You can try to make it faster by creating links which will help Googlebot reindex the whole website.

Lexy, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  5. MyArtGallery

MyArtGallery Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's not about reindexation. the new website is reindexed fast and I'm happy. it's about the website weight to be transferred from the old domain to the new domain (traffic recovery).

MyArtGallery, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  6. Lexy

Lexy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that the old website should be fully reindexed so that Google could see that all pages now redirect to their new equivalents. Only then (after full reindexation) you can restore your rankings.

Lexy, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  7. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you can lose all of your organic traffic permanently. Don't take that risk unless you have some very serious reasons or very high expectations.
    You can wait for about 6 months to make sure if there is a permanent loss in organic traffic. Don't add new backlinks to your domains. It can only make the things worse while you are thinking that it can accelerate the process.

makeit easy, Jan 18, 2014 IP
  8. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    On Such Situation Google take time as i guess it might be in processing. Nobody knows how much time Google will take it may be will take 7 day or may be take 7 month i think you need to just wait for the result.
    As far as ranking is concerned Google will give the same ranking as the old domain name.

John Dave, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  9. heze1211

heze1211 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this bro, I recently move from my .com to .net and am wondering how long it’ll take google to rank my new site with .net

It’s been three days now and most of the post are indexed but they are not ranked even on the first 5 pages unlike the old domain which was written on jamb result checking 2018( http://ifnigeria.net/jamb-result-checker )was ranked on first or second pages

heze1211, Oct 25, 2017 IP