1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to prevent my eBook from being uploaded on sites like mediafire?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Sai Krishna Deep, Jan 15, 2014.

Hello,

I have made an eBook recently.I have succesfully mangaed to gt a few sales too. I DO NOT want my buyers to upload the paid content for free on hosting sites like mediafire,rapidshare,sendspace and stuff.

So what is the solution and the procedure to remove any such stuff that is uploaded on

Forums
    File Uploading Sites
    Blogs

Thanks a million for any help, will help me save my money. :)

Sai Krishna Deep, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, when you sold your eBook, I presume you must have sold it along with the rights for the content in it. If that is the case, the people who buy it have full rights to use it as they wish. You cannot do anything about it. But in case you still have the exclusive rights to that content and someone uses it without your permission, you should take the help of concerned authorities.
    Does this somewhat answer your question?

Content Maestro, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  3. koss778

koss778 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The easiest way is to cut 1 chapter out of book, give a promotional code into and post it to these sites under name of the book. Whoever now will try to find the book will firstly see short version with promo code. I know a guy who did it this way and no one ever copied his book.

koss778, Jan 15, 2014 IP
    hopeless4 likes this.
  4. Sai Krishna Deep

Sai Krishna Deep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I did include a copyright notice in my eBook itself which should prevent them from reusing my content. Should I include a clause in which he may not redistribute it too? Also, I have seen people do get their files removed from sites like mediafire for copyright infringement. So how do i do that too?

Sai Krishna Deep, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  5. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I think, to be on the safer side, you should always include a clause regarding redistribution of your content. If in your eBook you have stated certain clauses pertaining to usage of the content in it and find out that someone is violating them (by uploading the content on a website without your permission or using it in any other way that goes against the clauses), please contact the website's administrators or people from the support staff. They will guide you. You will, however, be required to prove that you have the exclusive rights to that content.
    Search 'how to deal with copyright infringement' on Google. It will give you more insight into this.
    Hope this helps.:)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Content Maestro, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  6. delix

delix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, very good idea! Put short promotion version of your ebook before youre disloyal customers do it! So if someone will search for your ebook, they will find only short version. If you put promotion version of ebook on as many file hosting sites as you can. For people who want find it for free will be very difficult to find full version of it. They will have no choice and buy the full version.

delix, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  7. LayerNode

LayerNode Member

Best Answers:
    put it on RAR/ZIP File then protect it with password, and make sure only your buyers may know the password.
    CMIIW :)

LayerNode, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  8. YJunK

YJunK Active Member

Best Answers:
    @LayerNode The problem with that is once people buy the book, there is nothing you can do to stop them from opening the rar/zip file and uploading what's inside for free.
    The best method, yes, is to beat disloyal buyers in their own game and upload short versions to all the websites you mentioned. Very often, when people find your version first, they will stop looking. I think that's the best you can do. That's just a risk to publishing eBooks that you can't really get around.

YJunK, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  9. LayerNode

LayerNode Member

Best Answers:
    @YJunK unfortunately theres no licensing software or such stuff that protect eBook :(
    awhile the best option is just cut the part of the book.

LayerNode, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  10. Sai Krishna Deep

Sai Krishna Deep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions!! I guess the idea of publishing a part of the ebook is something that I should give a further thought of :)

Sai Krishna Deep, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  11. hopeless4

hopeless4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's impossible...

If guys like James Patterson and Stephen King can't prevent multiple collections of their books from being pirated, there's little chance you can too.

Value is king in this industry. Keep building it and people will keep buying at a rate that hopefully usurps the amount of content that's being stolen from you.

hopeless4, Jan 19, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  12. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I think this is the ONLY possible way to outsmart content pirates. If a hundred people copy and use my content, it's impossible to sue each and every person for copyright infringement. I would utilize that time in creating more valuable content and selling it.

Content Maestro, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  13. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can anyone please throw more light on 'uploading part of the book'? I don't really get this point. Let me give an example here. I saw a WSO in warrior forum and the person who published the book didn't mention how many pages the eBook had. However, people who purchased from him commented in his thread and some of them even mentioned, "XXX's 50 page eBook is great".

I wanted to buy the book. It just cost 12$ and hence sent the URL to my friend. In a few hours, he sent me a PDF version which he claimed to have downloaded from a file upload site. To my surprise, when I opened that PDF, it had 50 pages as someone mentioned in the comments. I notified the original poster of the thread and he claimed he knew about all this and hence added a few more pages to it. When I paid 12$, I got a 65 page book, out of which the first 50 pages were the SAME!!! But, what's the use? The essence of his PDF is in the first few pages and the last 15 didn't matter much though it had some useful tips.

Now, my question here is -> Say, If the original buyer just cut a part of the book and uploaded it everywhere, and I'm the one looking for the full version of the ebook. After downloading it, I would obviously get to know that it's not the complete book. So I will still keep looking for it until I find the full version. And WHAT IF someone like me buys it, and purchases the full version and still uploads it for the benefit of others? HOW can this be prevented?????

Honestly, I want to sell my own eBook (I've planned to write one) but I really worry about my content being circulated for 'FREE' all over the web.

Can someone help me understand how 'uploading part of the book' helps?

TPvinod, Jan 20, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  14. hopeless4

hopeless4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the book is that worthwhile, piracy is the best form of flattery you can get. Most people spend way too much time worrying about the "what ifs" and never actually do the work (e.g., write an ebook, build a site, sign up for training classes, etc.)

If your book is worth reading, people will download it for free. If the Internet ceases to exist and the power gets shut off forever, you won't have to worry about piracy. Otherwise, write your book and start building a brand that people will support. Worrying about the "what ifs" is a sure path to failure if it's never mixed with any form of action.

hopeless4, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  15. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's right. I agree with you. But I still don't get how/why 'uploading part of the book' helps. Can you clarify this part for me pls?

TPvinod, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  16. hopeless4

hopeless4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The poster that suggested that is saying it will help stop people from finding the full version first and downloading it.

It's just a slight counter-measure that might get you a few extra sales. By no means a way to stop piracy in general.

hopeless4, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  17. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can't ever stop people from sharing things for free. How do you think these products get shared in the first place? A buyer gets the password then uploads it along with the password.

Honestly, don't worry about the people looking for freebies anyways, they more than likely would refund the money they sent you if they can't find it for free. You're always going to have freeloaders looking for solutions in eBooks. Look at places like BHW, it's filled with people pretending they make money all day and they spend most of their time downloading random eBooks hoping that it'll finally be their magic bullet.

It's kind of what you have to deal with when you get into the business of selling things like eBooks or informational products. You have to deal with freeloaders and serial refunders. Hell, even people like Frank Kern who sells products he values at $1,000 has people who refund and upload his crap for free but it's not stopping him from making great money and it didn't stop Rich Jerk from making a little empire.

coreygeer, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  18. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is inaccurate unless you are specifically selling a PLR ebook. All written content is protected by international copyright law unless you give away or sell individual rights to use, reproduction or transmission.

Be very careful with this. If you intend to sell your ebook as a Kindle book, through Amazon, they may consider the free uploaded version to be a competing item and reduce your book price on their site to zero as part of their automated competitiveness process. Yes, this happens, even with partial uploads.

This is so true! There is absolutely NO way you can stop people distributing for free, but you CAN change the way you look at it. What if you used the fact that it's popular as free marketing to promote your next book? The more people who download it, the more people will know your name - make sure your site and brand are VERY visible in the book and it should bump your traffic and the sales for your next book. You could even use it as a slogan: "The book that's so popular, everyone tries to pirate it!" :)

TIEro, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  19. wanderinglex47

wanderinglex47 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly, it's almost impossible to remove your book from these sharing sites once the buyer has uploaded it. You can contact their abuse department, and they will remove your files, but it's a losing battle - there's always gonna be another copy on one of the many sharing sites.

One trick to reduce the amount of sharing is to password protect the eBook, then send the password to the buyer's email (along with the payment confirmation for example), with a small warning that it's a unique password for his copy - at the very least it will reduce the number of people who would want to upload it to sharing sites...

wanderinglex47, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not attempting to be rude or factitious in any way but...I have seen this many times before. Someone sells a dozen copies and they feel that their content is so valuable that everyone wants to steal it. Haaaaa!:rolleyes:
    Has it never occurred to you that maybe no one really wants it? Be happy with your one or two daily sales and enjoy the royalties, and stop worrying about the world profiting for free from your genius.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Spoiltdiva, Jan 22, 2014 IP