1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to get my brain wrapped around the tech stuff

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by GillyWacker, Jan 12, 2014.

Here is where I am at. The domain name I want is available. That I know, and that is pretty much where the road turns into assumptions.

how do these three things tie together.

1. Domain (with name)
    2. Hosting
    3. blogging platform (like wordpress, or Blogger
    I am trying to research. But with so much information its hard to find just the "meaty bits" that I need. Seems like all the cost's I am looking at are nominal. So cost does not seem to be an issue. What I dont want to do is invest a lot of time into something that it's obvious to "experienced" bloggers. I ultimately will be unhappy with and change.

These are my assumptions. I will be able to use my own page with domain name using a host banking data and a platform for the publishing tools.

Is that right? And how should the sequence of events look? I dont understand how they link up. Or if some are tied together. Like: Would wordpress also be the host?

If you answer please keep in mind that this part of things is completely new to me.

GillyWacker, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  2. Josh Hughbanks

Josh Hughbanks Active Member

Best Answers:

You can have the same company provide you with the domain and hosting. BUT you can also have separate companies.

Your steps should always be:

1) Buy the domain before it is gone, preferably from a domain registrar that is inexpensive and dependable (many to choose from).
    2) Look for hosting.

Hosting can be paid for or provided to you for free from many different companies (wordpress.com/blogger/etc).

BUT if you want the "easy to use experience" that Blogger and some companies provide then you can only really obtain that from getting hosting from them.

Wordpress on the other hand can be installed on almost any paid or free hosting provider that doesn't have a "custom platform".

Josh Hughbanks, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  3. GillyWacker

GillyWacker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok Then at for example Godaddy. There are three choices I am guessing I should go with "Website builder + Hosting" It looks like a beginner it includes domain name and hosting. package At that point (this is a question) I can either add the domain name to my current Blogger account or install wordpress and somehow add the domain name within that?

4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Hey man,

Go to godaddy and get a domain, but first go to the Godaddy coupon section here,

Next go to hostgator and sign up for 1 penny,

Then you can adjust your domain to point to hostgator witch has cpanel.

Then you install wordpress and you are good to go ;)

sundaybrew, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  5. GillyWacker

GillyWacker Greenhorn

Best Answers:

6. Josh Hughbanks

Josh Hughbanks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't recommend website builder if you plan to use blogger or wordpress. At Godaddy ONLY purchase the domain, be very careful not to purchase anything else as they try to push a lot of unnecessary things.

Josh Hughbanks, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  7. GillyWacker

GillyWacker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thats what I did. Those add on's initially appeared to be part of the process. sneaky bstrds

8. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    sundaybrew, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  9. GillyWacker

GillyWacker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok done, done, and done. That one penny thing is for one month only? So I will need to get a longer term package soon?

I just need to install wordpress. Then can I just copy my existing blogs from blogger?

And thanks for the help everyone.

10. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
  11. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it's for one month and then you will need to pay the regular price. If you are planning on hosting for a longer term the 25% off coupons are a better deal than the one month ones.

micksss, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  12. BlogStartClub.com

BlogStartClub.com Member

Best Answers:
    Good work Gillywacker. When you get wordpress up and going be sure to select your plugins wisely. A very important one is... WYSIJA a great newsletter plugin. And Si-captcha.

BlogStartClub.com, Jan 14, 2014 IP
  13. GillyWacker

GillyWacker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Stuck on the WordPress install. AAAAAAAArgh

GillyWacker, Jan 14, 2014 IP
  14. GillyWacker

GillyWacker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Installed WP using fantastico. Now when I click visit site. I am back at go daddy activate site. Clicking next gives me choices for email and hosting all extra expenses. Stuck again.

GillyWacker, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  15. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    You just have to make sure your blogs and sites go to the ip address you want them. You also have to set your DNS to your primary hosting accounts. However, you can create several sudomains on several different servers using just one domain name. That is as long as you have a (virtually) unlimited hosting account.

BoostSoftware, Jan 17, 2014 IP