1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to prevent getting lots of spam email?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by dooper, Nov 27, 2013.

My websites email adresses are getting lots of spam email messages everday. Because of the spam email, even I can't read my usual email and sometimes delete them with the spam email accidently.

How can I get over this issue? Switching Google business account(gmail) can stop this kind of email? I'm currently using hosting default email system. (cpanel)

dooper, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  2. edstorm

edstorm Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    yes - Gmail's spam filter is amongst the best so getting a Google Apps business account will help you a lot with your spam problem. Alternatively you can try to first use SpamAssassin which, if your Cpanel isn't ancient, should be listed under "Mail" in the Cpanel backend. You can read up more on SpamAssassin here: http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/SpamAssassin

edstorm, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  3. dooper

dooper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks your answer is so helpful to me. I will ask SpamAssassin to my hosting provider. I see gmail business account is paid. it charges 4 euro for every single mail account. do you know if it charges for just a domain(no-limit) 4 euro or it adds extra cost every account in same domain name like etc. ?

dooper, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  4. edstorm

edstorm Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    quoting from Google: "We consider a user to be the same as the number of distinct email inboxes you need. One user can have multiple email addresses, and a domain can have multiple aliases – these are included in the price for each user." Can all be a little confusing - you're best off doing some digging through: https://support.google.com/a/?hl=en

edstorm, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  5. dooper

dooper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ok thanks

dooper, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  6. freelancewebaz

freelancewebaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also if spamassassin isn't catching enough you can tweak the settings. On my servers I look at the scores that my legit emails are getting vs the spam and then bring the threshold down a bit to catch a larger percentage of the spam. I have mine tuned right now so that I only receive 2-3 a day.

freelancewebaz, Nov 30, 2013 IP
  7. infinitnet

infinitnet Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Google Business might be a good choice for you and saves you the hazzle of dealing with your own mail servers. However, to block most of the spam already, you can activate RBLs from WHM (howto here: http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/11_30/WHMDocs/ManageRbls). Other than that, you can also configure SpamAssassin, although their could be false positives if not configured correctly or too aggressive, which is why I personally only use RBLs.

infinitnet, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  8. SpyShifu

SpyShifu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just use discuss, rather than comment box. As well, I've recommended you Google Apps Business account, which is really helpful to manage spams. Or try outlook business solution they are free but still they are not great as gmail - outlook need some modification but they have potential to cross swords with gmail.
    More info : www.domains.live.com

SpyShifu, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  9. mollie.fr

mollie.fr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank for your info about SpamAssassin

mollie.fr, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When ever I turned up the settings on SpamAssassin it would destroy all sorts of good email and too low it doesn't get much spam.

I use throw away addresses for any kind of seo stuff or listings and try to use my main email addresses for only my main contacts.

averyz, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  11. SpyShifu

SpyShifu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are useless, lack of intelligence.

SpyShifu, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  12. Afsary Junaid

Afsary Junaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try filter.. use Juniper firewall filters.

Afsary Junaid, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  13. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use my cPanel to forward the email sent to to , and that is free. All the spam is in the spam folder.

RobinInTexas, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  14. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    Enable Box Trapper Spam Trap in cPanel!

Adam James Jack, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  15. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't help if you receive automated emails - i,e confirmation emails, invoices etc as it requires a human to go through the verification/activation process each time.

dayvo, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  16. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    I simply replied to his/her post comment. I haven't looked at the whole story - i posted from what i saw in the thread title. So any other information that was disclosed wasn't evaluated.

Additionally it would make it easier if we saw example messages that are deemed spam so that we can further advise on a solution :)

17. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry dude - I wasnt trying to correct you as you wern't wrong - just 'expanding' on the Box Trapper

dayvo, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  18. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    Ahh ok mate! Well i welcome constructive criticism - this place is like a virtual learning center lol - I have had many runnings with rogue users spamming from our servers. It is a very annoying and illusive problem - sometimes! :)

19. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SpamAssasin works well if you understand how to set it up correctly. My Postfix mail server for my clients runs amavisd-new, SpamAssain, and Clam AV. You have to utilize the Bayes classifier and adjust your scores, and setup a cronjob to scan your email to re-learn what is spam and what is not.

I am not sure how many email addresses you have, or if you host email for anyone else. But, Google Business or Office 365 (outlook) is only $5/mailbox. I host a ton of email accounts and that is too expensive for me and my clients

MikeLugar, Feb 11, 2014 IP